Excess Studio

Old Antiques

Hi Gents:

Rather than to continue on that Vocoder discussion topic, I opened a “what-not” thread on this old Studio stuff I have left over from the old studio…

I took some photos of that Gibson GA-6 Guitar Amp and some other stuff that has been left there…

Here’s a

Few Photos

of some equipment that’s still there…
The two guitar amps needs to be restored and put into the studio equipment inventory, along with that Ampeg B115N Bass Amp, I’m looking at…
The Gibson Amp belongs to Doug Gill…
He’s the guitar player that I worked with on the last “Big Stage” I worked on, back in the late '90’s… He has-and-used an early '70’s Tobacco Strat with a '71-'72 Fender Tremolux two x 10" (silver faced) Reverb Amp…
What a beautiful Amp, that is…
Anyway, that GA-6 Gibson Amp doesn’t appear to have the original 12" speaker in it…
BUT…
it’s an acceptable replacement speaker…
Well…

Bill…

Some of those older amps are rather noisy.

I have an ampeg tube amp with built twin reverb from the 70’s it does sound sweet, but do not utilize it much for recording, just too much hiss,hum whatever you want to call it.

Unfortunately I do not have the electronics knowledge and skill to replace or trace whatever capacitors or whatever that is that’s causing the noise.
Sad really cause the amp has the original speaker in it and sells for a grand easy on ebay(based on the few I saw on there and they had replacement speakers)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Hi jeremysdemo:

I agree with you…
Some of those Ampeg Guitar Amps sounded so Sweet on a stage…
BUT…
in the studio you had to be careful how-and-where you placed your mics when tracking them…
I remember one model…
It was called the Reverb-o-Rocket, or something like that…

It sure sang on the stage…

Bill…

Problem with that is now it is an Antique and too valuable to be banging around to gigs (much like my Mesa boogies).
It is a GeminiII in mint condition since it sat in it’s case for over 30’s years without being played, but that is what they go for with a replacement speaker installed.

which is why I use the GNX4 for live as well (and have two of them) they are disposable and can pretty much produce the same sounds relatively to the average ear.

keep shinin

Yeah, they’re especially noisy when you plug in a guitar, crank 'em, and rock! :laugh:

Hey, I used to have a peavy univerb!

Just promise to remember me, if you plan on selling the amp!!! :agree:

That Peavey Univerb used to get a lot of use in the old L&B Studio when Leonard was with us…
Back then, I did the tracking and He did the Editing-and-Mixing…
Then, we both did the Mastering…
We used pair of Tannoy 6.5 Monitors at first, (I use the Tannoy 6.5’s on the DJ Desk, now) and then moved on to a pair of passive Yorkville boxes, the mates to the YSM1’s that I use now…
Those are great boxes for the money…
As we know, there are many monitors out there that work-and-sound nice, these days…
It’s whatever you get used to hearing, with…
If only I could afford some model of the Adam Line…
:)

Adam Pro Line

Maybe, one day… before my hearing goes… :)
:laugh:

Bill…

Okay Bill…your heading for the topic starts with the word EXCESS…as in too much, implying dont need?

So are you putting some of this on proverbial chopping block? $$$$?

Hi duffman:

Thanks for the reply…
and… How’s it going with you, these days ?

I KkNnOoWw…
I hadn’t put much thought into the Topic Heading as I moved outta that Thread…
Sorry, for getting Off Topic on every thread I reply, in…
That’s me…

You should all know me, by now…
I like chin-wagging up here…
and…
that ain’t gonna change, SsOoOoNn…
I hope…
I just like the community…
So, there…

Anyway, I am and old school Bar Room Bass Player that like the company of young minded creative music minds…
That’s one of the ways I am attempting to stay young-at-heart and mind…

I have to go now…
I’ll be back…
and reply to your thread…

Bill…

Those sure are nice speakers you want to buy, Bill. I have a pair of Alesis. Now I feel inferior. :laugh:

Back Again:

They sure are…
RADAR Wayne had a pair of them in his studio…
I don’t have the page up…
I’ll bring it up and reply as I see what model he has…
His pair looked something like the S3X-H pair… only thing is, they don’t have the Mid-Paper cone speaker in his set…I’m gonna say he was outta pocket by some 3 Grand… They may not make the pair he has, anymore…
Three Grand, well spent…
in my opinion…
It don’t matter what level you give them, they just don’t distort…
However, you can blur you vision and damage your hearing, if you stand in front of them…
There is so much control over the power amp’s preamp circuits that they’ll fit any profile application you decide to use them, in…
There’s no substitute for quality, in my opinion…
It’s sickening…
All you need is MmOoNnEeYy…
:p
Who said, Loonies don’t buy anything… ?

Coming back to your reply,
duffman…

My colossal errors go back to the early '60’s…
I went to work as a Bar Room Bass Player, after a short stint learning the Trade…
I bought a '60 - '61 Jazz Bass, cost me I think $425.00…
Then, on top of that I bought a '63 -'64 625.00 Bass Man Amp, and went out to become a SsTtAaRr…
at least I thought so…
Making money as a Bass Player was tough back then…
By '68 I parted with the Jazz Bass for 175.00 and by '72, I let the top of the Bass Man go for 125.00…
and replaced the Bass Man top with an Acoustic 370 amp…
Little did I know that both pieces are collector’s dreams…
Being in and around the music, I always though I would find the amp out there somewhere…
BUT…
NO…
I can only think it and the Amp and Bass left the country, or they are in a landfill, somewhere…
sigh…
I never parted with them because I needed the money… I just committed a huge mistake by parting with that stuff… You know there’s a lot better audio gear out there than what I have…
Talk to TomS about that Universal Audio stuff that is being talked about…
IF Only…
hey TomS ???? I could only hope that stuff like that might end out by the end of some one’s driveway some Saturday or Sunday morning…
lol…

We know it’s out there…
Would we ever live long enough to see that happen ?
Having said all of that, I may have used EXCESS in the wrong context…
I may have to expand this new studio by 2-3 times to house-and-use all this old audio equipment I have acquired, over the years… J have this MK 1 Mic that I designed and built that I’d like to complete and these Tube Preamps that I’d like to restore and get up-and-running, maybe, some day…
You see, I’m more analogue inclined/inspired around music than I am digitally motivated… I think… I still have to decide upon some AD-DA Converter for this Studio, I’m putting together…
The time is getting near to having to spring for one…

Bill…

Halo.

keep shinin

Quote: (woxnerw @ Oct. 01 2010, 8:53 AM)

Coming back to your reply,
duffman..

My colossal errors go back to the early '60's..
I went to work as a Bar Room Bass Player, after a short stint learning the Trade..
I bought a '60 - '61 Jazz Bass, cost me I think $425.00..
Then, on top of that I bought a '63 -'64 625.00 Bass Man Amp, and went out to become a SsTtAaRr..

Bill..

Bill we all have made that mistake of selling off gear that later we could/should kick ourselves repeatedly for not having kept. In '75 I bought a new Alpine White Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary. Special 12th fret inlay, non-chambered body, anniversary papers, special case...$375.00. 2 years later I sold it for $500.00 cause I got tried of dragging around a 10 lbs guitar on stage. Recently found one at a shop about 4 hours from my home, $8500.00. I'd love to have it but $8500 buys alot of groceries.

That was the last guitar I sold. I have had one stolen, a '64 Harmony Rocket. Other then those 2 I still have every guitar/instrument I ever bought.

Amps have come and gone without remorse, well....maybe I should have kept the Sunn Solos. However I have kept every pedal I have bought over the years. A '73 issue Big Muff Pi and Smallstone Phase Shifter the one with the color switch. At the time I think I gave about $15 each.
A first year issue Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer and FL9 Flanger. All the way today, recently picked up a TC Electronics Nova Delay, love this thing. There is maybe 35-40 of them scattered around the basement studio.

Nope there is no excess.

Now that Les Paul is not with us…
Holy Moley, that could add another Grand to the value of that Guitar…

The Eagles Bass Player, I can never remember his name…
Anyway, he has a Jazz Bass along with several other basses…
However, he looks so comfortable when he uses it on the stage he plays on…
I have the DVD of the concert they played over in Melbourne, Australia… I can’t even remember the year…
When “Hell Freezes Over”…

That Bass looks so nice…
Anyway, I had one…

sigh…

:p

I know old Leo was glad to get the one I had, out-the-door, so he could build another one…
hehe…

Bill…
[edit]… Those Sunn Amps never got the recognition they so deserved… If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that CBS Fender bought the controlling interests of that Company… Not sure, though…