Excuse me asking about n-Track drum again

Newbie to Midi

Hi guys,

Just did a steep jump from v 3.2.3 to v 5.2. I’m impressed with the new features that v5 offers. One of them is the n-Track drum. I can play them tweak them and hear them. But I don’t really know how to record them as a wave file. I’m completely new to MIDI and don’t have any midi device hooked up to my machine. Can someone tell me and some of those that are still wondering on the issue how I can get wave file out of n-Track in plain language (again)?

And by the way, I don’t really know what “revert playback” command is for. It plays back the song in a reverse mode but then what?

Thanks in advance.

Francis ???

Quote (Francis @ Jan. 11 2007,09:34)
Hi guys,

Just did a steep jump from v 3.2.3 to v 5.2. I'm impressed with the new features that v5 offers. One of them is the n-Track drum. I can play them tweak them and hear them. But I don't really know how to record them as a wave file. I'm completely new to MIDI and don't have any midi device hooked up to my machine. Can someone tell me and some of those that are still wondering on the issue how I can get wave file out of n-Track in plain language (again)?

And by the way, I don't really know what "revert playback" command is for. It plays back the song in a reverse mode but then what?

Thanks in advance.

Francis ???

Hi Francis,

You don't really need to convert n-track drums to a wav file. Because it is a VST instrument (VSTi) its output will automatically be included in a mixdown jsut as you hear it. This is true of any VSTi.

If you would *really* like a wav file (maybe to let your CPU have a rest) you can just solo the n-track drum track and do a mixdown. You then end up with a wav (mixdown file) with just the drum track that you can import back into n-track. Another alternative would be to "Freeze" the track.

This isn't really MIDI btw.

X

just a tad difficult to explain this -

XonXof is correct if you have first created a MIDI track with the piano roll or have downloaded or imported a MIDI drum track to play around with - you import the MIDI track into N and set its output to ‘N track drums’ - hit play and the MIDI track will trigger the drum samples - you can change practically everything in N track drums while it is playing and you wont break it - when it is how you like it, then you can mixdown the track to a wave file - you can record live from a keyboard but thats not really a viable option if you are not fully MIDI aware -

to edit a pre made MIDI file, import it into N and hit the keyboard icon on the toolbar, this opens the piano roll from here you can move/add/delete the beats at will while N is playing - by doing this you will soon learn how to create your own MIDI files -

BTW you cannot easily record a MIDI track that does not use a VST instrument to generate the audio - in other words if you try to record a wave file from your MIDI drum track without N drums inserted all you will get is silence -

Dr J

Thank you XonXoff and Dr. J.

My own question explained that I’m totally new to Midi, didn’t it? Thanks for taking time to explain things. I will try what you two suggested. Should be on the right track now, I suppose.

And can anybody explain why I use ‘revert playback’ command and how it is useful. Thanks.

Francis

I was playing around with this one time, trying to get my feet wet… and… all of a sudden, the puddle dried up…

I think that’s what caused me this dreaded… “Tracker’s Block”… I’d sure like to get a Handle on these drums… If I could only get one project going with these drums, I’d be off to the Next Level…

Bill.

Hi again,

This is what I did to get n-Track drum work as I wanted it to. Please tell me if I’m doing it right. Before I got up to this point, I had to do a lot of reading and re-reading on the previous posts on N-drums. Let me know if I’m doing it a hard way.

Here’s what I do.

Add Blank Midi track > Choose Channel 16 >
Add New Channel > Add new instrument channel > n-Track > n-Track Drum
Midi track out put to > n-Track Drum
I program the drum pattern for intro, fill, ending, etc.
Then I work with Piano Roll keeping in my mind C3 as A. It took me quite awhile to see C3 on Piano Roll because it shows me “General Midi drum” and I had to change it to “Show piano” by the right-click command. Yeah, Midi 101.
Oh, I had to uncheck “Stop playback at the end of song” in Preference. Phew…

So is that how you all do? During the mind-boggling (to me, at least) test, the program crashed more than three times. How exciting, huh? Good thing, music is my cup of tea. I already sent the dmp file to Flavio though.

Francis

Hi Francis:
It seems like you’re off-and-running on all this… Good for you… The .dmp files are gonna help us all in the long run… and I have a good feeling it may even help other issues that may even be unrelated to the close exceptions that created the .dmp files you experienced…

I’m the type of guy that, if I can’t get something working in the first 20 minutes, I’ll throw it all in the corner and find something else to amuse me…

ME????? I expect something to work the first time around… What am I here for anyway?? :O ??? :laugh: :p

When you get everything working the way you think is acceptable, post back here and fill us in on how you got all this working… Then, post us a song that shows what your Hard-Earned Energy sounds like… Then post your findings up on the wiki page with all the detail you can write into it… You’ll help all us guys that don’t know how this stuff works…

Well, that’s if you want to…

Bill…

Hi Bill,

Yea, I’m a different guy. When I want to get something done, I get it done with all the means I can possibly get. The fruit is always sweet, you know. :;):

I think I will post some of the songs when I’m done with them. The thing is you won’t understand the language (which is Burmese), though. But it’ll be music to you ears anyway. I’m doing this only because I love music. My career is a different one. I have a quotation that forces me to make good music. I don’t really remember who said that but it goes like:

“When the music is good, people do not pay attention.
But when the music is bad, people stop talking.”
-Anon

Francis :)

p.s. Flavio said my dmp file helped him fix the problem. So…Good News!

Hi Francis:
That’s a pretty nice quote… Thanks for the reply… It looks like your well under way at making music with your n-Track software…

I think Flavio has a huge “user base” in your area of the world… However, they don’t seem to post on this Board… In my opinion that is a loss to this community… I think we here, could learn quite a bit from you as users of a common piece of software like n-Track… from the technical area, if not in the music sense… So…

Your quote is very accurate… We don’t hear the music if it’s done/performed right. We generally just hear our mistakes, when applied to the music we make…

I’m still practicing on making mistakes… I spent most of my days doing them… Maybe, that’s why this “Tracker’s Block” has hit me so hard…

Bill…