External hard disk will be faster

Should I install N-track there?

Hi again. Some help needed…

My Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop has a 60 Gb hard disk that is slow, 4200 rpm. And after an album project it’s half full/empty.

Therefore I’m planning to get a usb 2.0 external hard disk. They tend to rotate at 7200 rpm typically which seems to be the value that we’re looking for to get optimum results.

My first idea was to use the external hd for just archiving the songs, wavs and stuff, but now I started to wonder would I get some performance gains by using faster hd when recording.

1. Does N-track work better than now if the program is installed in my slow internal hd and the files are recorded in the new faster external hd?

2. What if I’d install N-track in the external hd where the files are? Would it be even faster, smoother, more reliable, lower latencies etc?

3. Any remarks of something essential that I didn’t think of?

My interface is M-Audio firewire 1814.

Thanks a lot.

1. Does N-track work better than now if the program is installed in my slow internal hd and the files are recorded in the new faster external hd?

I would give it a shot. Keep inmind that driver overhead or USB bus overhead might cause some performance degradation…depends on yer requirements and hrdware…but this is the option I would tackle first. If it doesn’t work I would actually try the archiving option next.

>>And after an album project it’s half full/empty.

I spent years chasing a higher track count that I didn’t need, that’s why I’m saying this. Yer requirement seems to be storage capacity, not tracks.

If you need more tracks, go fer it. If not, don’t “fix it”, ya know?

I’d be inclined to buy one of those drive kits with BOTH USB2.0 and FireWire ports. You may find FireWire is a little better for sustained throughput. You can get the kit for about $50 and slap your favorite IDE hard disk in there. Pick up a WD 80GB for about $65-$75 and you have lots of external storage on the cheap.

TG