Fader Automation

how do you do?

The instructions (LOL) say an alternate way to program the evolution of a parameter is to use FADER AUTOMATION by utilizing the R and P buttons in the mixer window. I can’t find these buttons, where are they? The instructions (LOL again) say during playback, by clicking the R button on a mixer, all actions on that fader will be recorded and if the P is clicked during playback the fader will move according to the recorded program. Can somebody tell me what I’m doing wrong? I’d like to automate A VST instrument mixer and I can’t do it by drawing it out on the timeline, because it only shows up as a mixer window and no where on that mixer or any other mixer can I find those buttons. Help :O :O :O

If you are on V4.01 or above (I think) the buttons (icons) have been moved to the transport tool bar. Hover the rat over 'em and a tooltip should pop up.

TG

Are you talking about the main record and play icons? How do I go about using those for FADER AUTOMATION as lined out in the instructions (LOL)? Do I click on those during playback? Wouldn’t that initiate a record cycle if clicked the record icon during playback? If I can click on those two during playback, does it affect all mixers or just the selected one?
Can ya hep a newbie? :p :p :p

Yep, TG is right the buttons moved in V4.x but the method is exactly as described in the manual.

No these are not the normal Playback/Record icons - see the picture above.

Do this:

1. Click on the Record button as shown above. (The one with the RED circle around it)

2. Play your track and move the faders to taste.

3. After playback, click the little Playback Fader icon shown in TG’s picture. Select “Enable Faders Automation”. Playback your song. The faders should move.

4. Realise it’s completely not practical to use fader automation and learn to use Volume Evolutions instead.

As for which mixers. Dunno. I suspect all. Just try it.

Mark

Quote (Mark A @ Nov. 08 2005,00:41)
4. Realise it's completely not practical to use fader automation and learn to use Volume Evolutions instead.

Good call Mark. I was in a hurry when I posted. Fader automation is a pain. Drawing envelopes is much more elegant IMO.

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

Fader automation is a pain. Drawing envelopes is much more elegant IMO.

And Envelopes are much easier to revisit to move, tweak, adjust… And you can do multiple envelopes at once - you can’t move multiple faders at the same time with a mouse.

And, again, I complain that we can’t draw fader evolutions. having a volume evolution like we have now (with 100%, etc.) plus a seperate fader draw (with 0db, +10, -inf, etc.) would be very nice indeed.