Fave Guitar Solo or Performance?

or,whatbout Johnny Winter And Live…Rick Derringer tears it up pretty good along with Johnny an the band,also Ricks own group in the mid 70’s"Derringer",they did a live album that was a rock powerhouse for the time.

Quote (wozz @ May 01 2006,07:01)
Steve Morse too,,,the album "night of the Living Dregs"the one side is live an they do a walbash cannonball cover that made me go whacko(maybe thats what happend?) went to see the Dregs a few times in the late 70's an they always kiked ass

YUP!!
Not many people could step into Ritchie Blackmores shoes but I was impressed from the moment I saw Steve Morse perform with Purple, and he's a nice guy too!

Also, Angus strutting around the stage with AC/DC is real rock n'roll. One of the most memorable sights in Rock music.

Wow, lot of great solo’s and performances,

My list includes the ones already mentioned with maybe

Stevie Ray Vaughn doing Hendrix’ 'Little Wing’

David Bromberg 'Chubby Thighs’

Allman Brothers (Insert any tune here)

Terry Kath 'The Approaching Storm’

Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page (insert any tune here including some Yardbird tunes)

Jimi Hendrix 'Wind Cries Mary’

Jon Butcher 'If wishes were Horses’

Gary Moore 'Still got the Blues for You’

arrrggggg the list could go on forever

Quote (KingFish @ April 30 2006,18:16)
Quote (TomS @ April 30 2006,04:47)
Nancy Wilson???? ???

What's your question?

Nancy Wilson......highly inventive and creative. Great acoustic player. Darn good mandolin player too. Highly underrated.

KingFish

Just kidding you. It's like DrG said, anyone (male) who was into Heart in the 70s was not just listening to the music. :)

Most of the REALLY great guitar work on Hearts recordings was Howard Leese. He did NOT look as good as the Wilson sisters though… :p A very underrated player IMO.

D

EDIT: Not much here but… Howard Leese

Wow…thats tough…all the great guitar players that were and are…its way too hard to try to narrow it down…love the work of Gilmour and Knoffler. I am still trying to learn the Knoffler riff in the middle of “Calling Elvis” - short but clear.

Also hear a lot of good stuff on Alvin Lee’s “Pure Blues” CD.

cliff
:cool:

P.S. Can I add…never mind…I was going to add a few, but that would never end… A riff here, a riff there, riff’s everywhere…in the past 40+ years…its too mind boggling.

Inner Mounting Flame
Birds of Fire

(take your pick of John’s Best in my opinion - consider when this stuff was done)

Quote (Diogenes @ April 30 2006,22:06)
Most of the REALLY great guitar work on Hearts recordings was Howard Leese. He did NOT look as good as the Wilson sisters though... :p A very underrated player IMO.

D

EDIT: Not much here but... Howard Leese

You're right........and isn't he on that live acoustic performance on "Going Home" or am I mistaken?

KingFish
Quote (g8torcliff @ April 30 2006,22:34)
Wow.....thats tough...all the great guitar players that were and are......its way too hard to try to narrow it down.....love the work of Gilmour and Knoffler. I am still trying to learn the Knoffler riff in the middle of "Calling Elvis" - short but clear.

Also hear a lot of good stuff on Alvin Lee's "Pure Blues" CD.

cliff
:cool:

P.S. Can I add....never mind......I was going to add a few, but that would never end.... A riff here, a riff there, riff's everywhere.....in the past 40+ years...its too mind boggling.

I was going to mention Alvin Lee.

I had an 8 track of a live session where he does "Spider and the Fly". He played much cleaner and bluesier and I really liked it.

KingFish

<!–QuoteBegin>

isn’t he on that live acoustic performance on "Going Home"

I’m not sure but I’d bet that’s Howard.

D

Utterly unimportant side note:
As much as I think Heart released some excellent pop-rock tunes during the 80ies (If Looks Could Kill - YEAH!!), I can’t stand listening to them due to the extremely disgusting production. Has Ron Nevison et al retired yet?

Ugh. You’re right about that Teryeah. Some of the crappiest sounding percussion ever “Proffesionally” produced IMO. It’s been a long time since I’ve had any Heart in the CD player but I remember thinking how BAD the drums sounded…

D

Quote (Diogenes @ May 01 2006,17:29)
It’s been a long time since I’ve had any Heart in the CD player …

D

There are good reasons for that :)

Drums were not allowed to sound like drums, each hit had to sound like the rumble of distant thunder. Totally hideous.
The only rock record released in the 80ies I can think of with a decent drum sound is (off the top of my head) John Mellencamp’s Uh-Huh. Think along the lines of a decently recorded Charlie Watts but better :)

And let’s not even mention all those piercing, digital reverb drenched, vomit inducing ‘hi-tech’ synths (pads AND leads) of that era… Eeeeeeww!!!

The 80’s were bad enough in the 80’s. Too bad they’re making a comeback.

Heh. I was just in the car and “Heartless” came on the radio. The toms go BOING-GGgggg! LOL!

Yep. Crappy drums!

D

Fave guitarists, Dave Gilmour - Comfortably Numb, Time. SUBLIME.
Steve Rothery - Marillion . Probably my fave band ever. Listen to Sugar Mice, or some of the newer stuff from Marbles. Brave is a masterpiece!
Alex Lifeson, Rush. Only just getting into these guys, but Alex is an awesome guitar player. His playing on some of the instrumental stuff like YYZ springs instantly to mind.
Anything by Brian May. The guy is a genius. The reason I started playing guitar myself. Listen to Brighton Rock, or the solo of Bohemian Rhopsody. Pure musical heaven.
Tom Scholz, Boston. Another genius. Along with Brian May, the two best guitarists around for that whole multi layered, guitar orchestration thing. Anyone who can listen to the Third Stage album and not feel moved needs checking for a pulse. “Hollyann” should have you on the floor in a gibbering wreck!

Listening to pretty much any of these guys makes me want to give up and put my guitars and amps up for sale on eBay…

Anything by Allan Holdsworth - he is unbelievable…

Are you guys done trashing Heart?

I’m used to bad recordings. I grew up with 45’s and my mom had a collection of her 78’s. So I was never critical of the recording…I just listened to the music (in between the pops and scratches). Then there was AM radio! And FM Stereo…that was like CD Quality today!

I didn’t listen to the radio in the '80’s…I bought casettes of bands I liked so I was always behind the curve when it came to what was current.

I have a friend who is always critisized for using midi drums. He got tired of it and had a real drummer do some cuts. He was still critisized for midi drums. I think that sometimes we spend so much time “honing in” on the construction of the song that we miss the song itself.

KingFish

Quote (KingFish @ May 02 2006,12:06)
Are you guys done trashing Heart?

I think that sometimes we spend so much time "honing in" on the construction of the song that we miss the song itself.

KingFish

Agreed Kingfish.

And Nancy looked really, really good back then.

:)

Oh my… trashing Heart? No way! I like Heart. It is a fair statement though that the production of some of their stuff was less than stellar.

Nancy Wilson in the early to mid 80’s… yummy!

D

OK, back on topic - the guitar solo on Hey Bulldog is one of the coolest EVER :)