FAWM 2011

who’s in?

So, who’s in for FAWM 2011? Starts on Tuesday, if I am not mistaken. I’ve not been able to write anything worth squat for a few weeks, beginning of the semester and all. Anyway, who’s in?

Moi.

FAWM 2010 gave me such an amazing experience with press, studio time/experience, making new industry contacts, live work etc. that I would be mad to miss it!

:agree:

what is it i have no idea i thouht it was somthing to do with farmers?

i love your avatar tom

http://FAWM.org

go check it out. These crazy people figure that since there are 28 days in Feb., it’s a good month in which to write an album’s worth of material, that is, 14 songs.

There’s also the 50/90 challenge in the fall – 50 songs in 90 days. Craig and I have done FAWM for a couple of years, I’ve met a couple of other n-Track folks there, and I did the 50/90 challenge a year and a half ago. Last fall I only got 19 songs in 90 days, it was a rough time. But it really is cool what happens writing a ton of stuff as fast as you can, without sweating the quality. You end up trying things you wouldn’t ordinarily, and if they don’t work out, it does not matter at all. The FAWM folks are all really, really supportive. But the end of the month 1000s of songs will have been posted, and a number of them are usually really fabulous.

This is me:

http://fawm.org/fawmers/toms

this is Craig:

http://fawm.org/fawmers/spreadercraig/

I take my hat off to you guys. :agree:

I passed the details on to my the daughter of my boss a few weeks ago and I think she’s going to have a go. I’ll try to find out her username/id so I can follow progress.

Cool.

C’mon you sluggards, do it. It’s not like the music has to be any good. Believe me, that fact alone creates a sense of freedom that results in stuff that will be better than you expected. At least sign up to do a couple of songs. Plus it’s a great community over there.

I’d love to try it one year but finishing up a 2 year long CD project has all my time booked through march. I am not a sluggard. Please don’t call me names. I do have feelers ya know. And I’m increasingly hormonal. I’m gonna go cry now. Bully!

i still dont understand it & ive been to the website… why are they doing it?
is it for charity? & what does craig mean
an amazing experience with press, studio time/experience, making new industry contacts, live work
i could nt see anything about that

Don’t be pickin on Poppa Willis, you guys… They got medication for that, these days, Poppa… I don’t know what the side-effects are, though…

Somehow, I think it’s million-seller Hits…

Bill…

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Jan. 29 2011, 5:21 AM)

i still dont understand it & ive been to the website.. why are they doing it?
is it for charity? & what does craig mean
an amazing experience with press, studio time/experience, making new industry contacts, live work
i could nt see anything about that

Its all just for fun...see if you can write/record 14 songs in 28 days...no pressure.

I just happened to get sponsored for my efforts, which resulted in a year long project recording an album of said songs using various local bands and then got that album in HMV, itunes and amazon...

I also organised an eight band event for the launch...

http://www.thesheffieldscenester.co.uk/#....6888087

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-He....&sr=8-1

Man...what a year...

Don’t like being a sluggard.
Tempted.
ebaying mini portastudios to escape family lounge.
Butterflies in stomach.

Go Tony! Go Tony! Go Tony! Yay!!!

:laugh:

Tina, it’s really just to see if you can do it. But being forced to write so much whether you want to or not really opens up the creative juices. The whole idea for me is to get past the “I’m writing crap so I think I will stop” thing. I just ended up not writing at all, since everything is flawed in some way or another. Now, I don’t care how flawed it is, everything has something good about it. That was quite a shift in perspective.

In hockey we say: you can’t score if you don’t shoot.

Poppa: you have permission to be a sluggard if you want to be. We forgive you. You’ve earned it. BTW, did you know that “sluggard” comes from Middle English “sluggart,” first recorded use in the 1300s?

I’d love to have a go but I too am going do have to take the Sluggard title. Too much other stuff starts up next week… Eeek tomorrow. Doh!

I Know… Twistin them knobs to get a “Signature Sound” outta that Jet Amp… :laugh:

Bill…

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Jan. 29 2011, 9:36 AM)

I just happened to get sponsored for my efforts, which resulted in a year long project recording an album of said songs using various local bands and then got that album in HMV, itunes and amazon...

that is incredible craig.. what a result!... how did you manage to get sponsored? i knew id read somthing here about a charity thing

tom im thinking why would i want to write 14 crap songs so evryone can laugh at them & me
i cant understand the site do you have to post the songs
i might be more willing to write lyrics for someone ive always wanted to do that but never had the courage

You’ll be surprised at how 'un’crap they are if you just let go and go for it!!

I think people get way too hung up on ‘art’. It ain’t that serious…it’s just a bunch of tunes as Mark Knopfler once said.

My FAWM wasn’t sponsored by any one person/organisation…just "will you sponsor me to write 14 songs in 28 days?"
The press gave coverage willingly…the recording studios gave time freely…etc. etc!

Quote: (bright lights tonight @ Jan. 29 2011, 2:22 PM)

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Jan. 29 2011, 9:36 AM)

that is incredible craig.. what a result!... how did you manage to get sponsored? i knew
id read somthing here about a charity thing

tom im thinking why would i want to write 14 crap songs so evryone can laugh at them & me
i cant understand the site do you have to post the songs
i might be more willing to write lyrics for someone ive always wanted to do that but never had the courage

Tina.
I think, I fully appreciate the point that Tom and Craig are making.
The point isn't to write **** music - but to maybe just 'let go'and 'do it'!!! Clear the back-log of creative ideas from your noggin.
For me, it would mean; not chattin' to you lot, spending two hours a day actually doing it, instead of eighteen hours a day thinking about it.
Un-disturbed space and time is my Gorgon's head.