Feature request and it's whopper.

Like to hear what you all think.

Hi Flavio and all,

I have always thought the EQ could be improved to make use of the space in a more productive manner so I came up with this. An 8 band EQ with full control over frequency and full control over compression when enabled. When I do my final mixes for mastering, I do setup in n-track the EQ to 8 channels and then I set my MIDI up so I have full control. This is a painstakingly, time consuming procedure. My idea is to use the available space more judiciously. Besides that I think it looks great. It would be nice if this was an option. Tell me what you think. Right click on the image to view. Click again to zoom.

PACO

Hmm… how’s that better than what we have now? I have total control for eq and for compression, I just add as many eq nods as I please and draw the curve how I like it.

As for compression I just adjust threshold and ratio either by sliders o by drawing, then adjust attack and release.

Or am I missing something?

You also left out “Q”…

UJ

Quote: (varakeef @ Jan. 19 2011, 4:38 AM)

Hmm... how's that better than what we have now? I have total control for eq and for compression, I just add as many eq nods as I please and draw the curve how I like it.

As for compression I just adjust threshold and ratio either by sliders o by drawing, then adjust attack and release.

Or am I missing something?

You raise some valid points. Understandably, the idea is to stream line the flow and make better use of space. Granted full control is there as you said, however lets look at the proceedure to do that.

The track properties windows for example, you open it then select the band and then make the adjustments. You have to be careful when doing this because any movement to the left or right and you can accidentally change the frequency.

My idea is simply to avoid that while I'm mixing. All my tracks will sit in front of me, when I hear something that needs a little change I simple hover over the EQ channel click and make the change without ever having to open a separate window and do it quickly on the fly. This makes things quicker and there's an added bonus. When I set up my midi for 8 channel EQ to make adjustments to the EQ, the values are 1 to 127 for the knobs on my midi. This makes it impossible for me to make .1 adjustments on the EQ. I guess I'm really wanting to get away from having to set my midi up so I have better control when I master. Having those EQ knobs on the main screen can only speed up the process. I find right now using the 3 EQ's now on the track window to be very good. I can adjust them quickly on the fly and do it in .1 increments should I have to. Imagine if those weren't there and you had to go into the track properties windows to adjust them every time with 24 tracks in front of you. Wouldn't it be nice to have 8 knobs instead of 3 on the track mixer as an option? The track properties windows will always be useful in setting up the 8 bands in those areas that need boosting based on the patterns seen on the spectrograph.

As for the compression sliders, in the track properties window, if I set these and want to make fine adjustments, the very second I touch them with the mouse they change values based on wherever my mouse position was on when I click it and I have reset the values. This is big pain in the butt. Having some control on the mixer windows would allow for fine adjustments leaving the track properties as the point of initial adjustments and meter checks for compression.

How with this make it quicker?

Traditional method when 8 bands are in use.
1: Click on the track properties window to open it.
2: Click on the band you want to change.
3: Click on the boost/gain button, use mouse to change or double click to enter value.
4: If manually entered values hit enter.
5: Close track properties window.

Thats 4 to 5 steps depending on the method used.

If the EQ's were on the track mixer as I suggested as a featured option.
1: Click on the EQ button, use mouse to change or double click to enter value.
2: If manually entered values hit enter.

Thats 1 to 2 steps depending on the method used.

Overall, I think it's more streamlined with added functionality and control and makes better use of available space. Thats just my opinion.

Thanks for your input.

PACO
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Jan. 19 2011, 7:41 AM)

You also left out "Q"...

UJ

Thanks for the heads up UJ, I've made the correction.

PACO :agree:

Well . . . my concern is the same one I have now - I very much dislike using knobs. I have a difficult time controlling knobs with a mouse - granted it would appear that the settings could be typed in in your design; however, could a similar design be accomplished by placing the display screen above a bank of sliders or does that destroy the whole idea? You have obviously given this a great deal of thought and hard work. So, I sure don’t want to take anything away from that - I just dislike knobs.
Bax

Yea - not sure it’s up to a developer to “personalize” for folks like this - having the option is there though. I’m with you baxter. I like to see what I’m doing.

One of the things I love about ‘R’… hold down Crtl when dragging or “mouse-wheeling” a knob or fader and the program switches to “fine” resolution for said control. Works great!

I don’t know if n has that or not?

UJ

Quote: (bax3 @ Jan. 19 2011, 10:32 AM)

Well . . . my concern is the same one I have now - I very much dislike using knobs. I have a difficult time controlling knobs with a mouse - granted it would appear that the settings could be typed in in your design; however, could a similar design be accomplished by placing the display screen above a bank of sliders or does that destroy the whole idea? You have obviously given this a great deal of thought and hard work. So, I sure don't want to take anything away from that - I just dislike knobs.
Bax

Yes I had trouble adjusting the little knobs too, very cumbersome, thats why a while back I asked for a feature to manually input the values with the added option to "see what the values are when the mouse hovers over it". Flavio added it. All you need to do is double click on the EQ button and you can input the value. Of course you can adjust with the mouse initially and then make fine adjustments manually. It beats trying to adjust those little knobs for fine adjustments and it (manually) works very good with .1 increments if so desired. The latest beta build has fixes in this area.

PACO
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Jan. 19 2011, 7:41 AM)

You also left out "Q"...

UJ

I meant "Q"... not Q... :laugh:

I just noticed because of your other post about spelling... Understand the functions BEFORE you try to "improve" them?

"Q" - bandwidth. You NEED a "Q" CONTROL IMO if you want this thing for faux "mastering" purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization_filter

UJ