Feature Request - rename track renames file

I wasn’t suggesting the app be open source, just publish the .sng file format (as was suggested earlier). This would allow us to build offline MIDI utilities, saving us the cycle of exporting/manipulating/importing/replacing that is required now. I’m assuming that the MIDI data is in a standard format wrapped within the .sng file.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m assuming that the MIDI data is in a standard format wrapped within the .sng file

disclaimer: i am an idiot when it comes to midi…

i’m not so sure about the format of the midi files within ntrack… with my v-drums, i sequence using ntrack… but i need the pieces split, so i export from n, which writes a midi file… i use a utility called “mididrum” that splits the parts… however, the midi files exported from n are not readable by this application… but if i open the midi file in another midi sequencer, and just save it - without any edits at all - back to the same midi file, the mididrum utility reads it fine… weirdness…

isaac

<!–QuoteBegin>

i’m not so sure about the format of the midi files within ntrack… with my v-drums, i sequence using ntrack… but i need the pieces split, so i export from n, which writes a midi file… i use a utility called “mididrum” that splits the parts… however, the midi files exported from n are not readable by this application… but if i open the midi file in another midi sequencer, and just save it - without any edits at all - back to the same midi file, the mididrum utility reads it fine… weirdness…

I wonder… there are two types of midi file… type “0” where all the data is stored in a single midi track, and type “1” which has a midi track for each instrument… perhaps mididrum can’t work with the type exported from N-track… If so there are plenty of freeware type convertors around which may be easier than using another sequencer.

Mark

As to the file name suggestion: I’d also like to be able to open multiple wav files at one time. In other words, when I don’t have a sng file created, or I want to drastically change things: I’d like to be able to select several files to open instead of opening them one at a time.

<!–QuoteBegin>

As to the file name suggestion: I’d also like to be able to open multiple wav files at one time. In other words, when I don’t have a sng file created, or I want to drastically change things: I’d like to be able to select several files to open instead of opening them one at a time

You can open n-Track and import multiple wav files at once (Track–>Insert Wave File). Is this what you want to do?

Dear Mark A,
If I had just asked for this sooner. I’ve been looking at that option for a long time and Now You Tell Me. Thanks!
bax

<!–QuoteBegin>

Dear Mark A,
If I had just asked for this sooner. I’ve been looking at that option for a long time and Now You Tell Me. Thanks!
bax

Glad to be able to help!

Mark

Quote (idover @ July 19 2005,13:10)
<!–QuoteBegin>
Opening up the .sng file format could open up an after-market for nTrack enhancements from other developers.

i second this!.. i’ve looked into the format, but not much luck… using a hex editor, i was hoping to find some pattern to parse out all of the names of the wave files associated with a song and write a simple little app to organize and rename them… however, i haven’t paid much attention to the license agreement included with the app… if it says no, then i’ll have to give up… but if flavio would open up the format, that would be wonderful… or better yet, move to an entirely xml based format… even if he decides against, i’m still a fan of the application…

I’ve added to the latest 4.1 beta build the rename wave file feature. It asks to rename a track’s wave file (if there’s only one) when one renames the track by clicking on the track name on the left timeline bar (like renaming files with windows explorer, you click then wait approx. one second and the name becomes editable). In the next builds I’ll add a rename track entry in the popup menu too.

I like the idea of other developers extending n-Track. Just for fun I tried adding support for connecting to n-Track via .Net Remoting. It has to be activated, in the Preferences/Paths dialog box.
I’ve uploaded a sample client project at the address
n-Track client sample
It’s likely to be buggy and it hasn’t much functionality but if anyone’s interesting in using it I can easily extend it. For now it allows to open .sng files and see which wave files are in use, with which offsets etc.
The client has to use .Net 2.0. You can download Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta for free at
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/

Flavio.

cool!

Are there any plans to release a .Net 1.1 remoting client? Reflector revealed this file:

C:\Program Files\FASoft
-Track Studio 4
trackdotnet.dll

had similiar interfaces to the sample code you posted (i.e. ISong, IChannel, etc). Could you add a remoting client to the v4.0.5 branch or has development on that storpped?

Not all .Net developers are on 2.0 yet :(

Thanks,
Ron