Feature Request - Saving Configurations

I have been using n-Track for about 4 years I think (V3 -V5) and one thing I noticed is there doesn’t appear to be a good way from within the program to save specific configurations. A couple of scenarios come to mind:
1. Laptop that I use to record on location live recordings. I am typically using a Motu 896HD interface and recording 4-8 tracks. Here I use WDM and heavy buffering to get the highest quality recording. I would like to be able to call this configuration up reliably so I know I am not missing anything.
2. Editing files with a simple 2 channel USB based interface. Here I am interested in quicker response at the expense of a couple clicks here and there while monitoring.
3. I could see the same type of scenarios with a desktop system that is used to record tracks with Live input and then editing the tracks later.

I know you can copy and replace config files but it would be nice if you could save them from withing the program, even if you have to restart. Or maybe it should be selectable at start up before the program tries to find hardware that might not be connected.

Any comments?

Hi kgould:
I hear your suggestions/comments… I expect that there may not be much interest in your ideas… Maybe, that’s why there isn’t any replies… I have DAWs here that have more than one type of audio hardware installed in them and I use for several types of file processing… I just go into the Settings Panel and re-adjust the config. to suit the type of file processing I do… At-that-time… But… something to cover that idea could be of benefit for me and my setup…

Bill…

I agree with the need. I’ve been using batch files to replace the configs, but those need to be recreated with most new builds. I have been switching between a old Layla20 and a newer Gina24. There’s a lot of twitching to be done when switching.

I agree. I also switch between soundcards, and it sure would help.

AaHh there’s support from Board Members…

I have three DAWs all with Creative Labs S/B Live audio cards, all working with S/B Drivers… As well two of the DAWs have other cards… One with Lexicon Core 32/24-Track and 2-Track Mastering and one with a Hoontech STA 2000/8-Track and 2-Track Mastering Hardware… If I could quickly profile these DAWs to setup and use without checking-and-testing the setup every time I use them specific applications that would save me a lot of headaches…

The biggest on-going, never-ending issue/problem I have is networking/LAN’ing these computers to share current projects/works-in-progress… I fire up the boxes and LAN to share projects and the LAN doesn’t work correctly, if at all… I stop and repair/fix the LAN setup and all works fine. It could take several hours… Then I’ve forgotten what exactly what it is I wanted to share… The next time… same thing all over again… I’ve found it’s quicker and safer to write the data to a CD or DVD and load the project that way… For me, trying to stay Current/up-to-date with projects is next to impossible… using the LAN or other means of transporting projects. Maybe, I’m missing something in the process… ??

There have been times when I’ve streamed as many as 20 tracks over the LAN without importing the files to a drive first… But it doesn’t work all the time… I think it depends on how many effects per track I’m using…

I’ve heard about studio setups that use a dedicated computer to store and share, on the LAN, the effects only… However, I’m not sure if I know or how to try that type of setup… Can somebody elaborate on a setup working like that?

Bill…

Once upon a time I used a couple of DOS batch scripts to switch between configurations, but it was a little clumsy.