FEMA chief relieved of Katrina duties

I think we should cut Brown some slack on his resume. When he got the years he worked for Edmond, Okla. wrong - I mean anyone could make that mistake.

And when he said he was the “assistant city manager with emergency services oversight,” but he was really “an assistant to the city manager” (an intern-like position) - I mean anyone could screw up the wording like that - right?

:laugh:

While I’m not trying to defend FEMA in the recent catastrophe, nonetheless, some facts ought to be added to your post Mike.

Post 9/11 FEMA stopped being a separate agency, and was absorbed into The Department of Homeland Security.

And as a part of that department, it has to share budget distribution with the rest of the department; and invariably, other parts of the department have benefited at FEMA’s expense.

As a consequence, in the last 4 years, FEMA has lost most of its trained and qualified personnel.

Anyway, the guy in charge wasn’t fired.

Whoever had the power to fire Brown…that’s really the “guy in charge”. :)

Ali

How do you know so much about my country - are you a terrorist in training? :laugh:

<!–QuoteBegin>

How do you know so much about my country - are you a terrorist in training? :laugh:

Because according to americans it’s the center of the universe…

ouch! very ouch!

<!–QuoteBegin>

Because according to americans it’s the center of the universe…

Easy there Willy… ALL Americans are not that self-centered. :)

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

Easy there Willy… ALL Americans are not that self-centered.

Aaah, but then (according to me) there are Americans, and the fine people I’ve come to know on this here forum …

:p

ducks and hides

I am joking about this as people assume that because I’m a white South African I must be racist. (Oh and yes, we do have lions in our streets)

Lions? I though it was crocodiles and hippopotamus.

Oh well,those too !
If you stay too far away from rivers or marshlands, then its only lions …

:D :D

These lions you DO get a lot of in South Africa …

Doh !

I’ve just seen that they’ve been discontinued…

Well, there goes that.

Eyup!

I try and make a distinction between the American People :D and the American Nation :angry:
The American People are just as fine as any the world over, it’s the American Nation that gets in the way.
Sadly, I found this quotation:

I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering

President Grover Cleveland, 1877

Steve

Old Grover Cleveland - not exactly adimrable there, was he?

Eyup!

I had to check that that quotation was actually real, I couldn’t believe it.
I have no idea as to the length or efficacy of Cleveland’s office but he is most certainly (on the right side of the Atlantic :D ) not well known.
I wonder how the present encumbent will be remembered in 130 years time?

???

Steve

Michael Brown just resigned. (no link to the news yet)

<!–QuoteBegin>

BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 3:12 p.m. ET Sept. 12, 2005
WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Mike Brown said Monday he has resigned “in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president,” three days after losing his on-site command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

“The focus has got to be on FEMA, what the people are trying to do down there,” Brown told The Associated Press.

His decision was not a surprise. Brown was abruptly recalled to Washington on Friday, a clear vote of no confidence from his superiors at the White House and the Department of Homeland Security. Brown had been roundly criticized for FEMA’s bearish response to the hurricane, which has caused political problem for Bush and fellow Republicans.

“I’m turning in my resignation today,” Brown said. “I think it’s in the best interest of the agency and the best interest of the president to do that and get the media focused on the good things that are going on, instead of me.”

TG

“Invited” to perhaps?

That was quick! Notice he resigned - they did not fire him.

Here’s what Bush said

<!–QuoteBegin>

Brownie, even though you did a superb job down
there, it pains me but I accept your resignation.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering

Katrina goes far beyond individual suffering though. Every country in the world is feeling the hit in oil prices, but that pales into significance compared to the what I’d describe as a national shame in caused by the neglect of the mass of individuals affected by Katrina.

Who said the government moves too slow…

Bush chooses ranking FEMA official, career firefighter as new chief