Fender VS. Gibson

Since I started the topic I might as well add my two cents as well. I own both a late 80’s Japanese Strat and a 2004 Gibson Flying V Limited Edition. I prefer using the V for songs where I do alot of rampant picking of notes, because its notes chime out so much better than the strat, but the strat excels at string bends and its light weight makes it great for leads and crazy play. I’ve always felt like I could damage a gibson very easily I guess. They are pretty guitars that play very well, but push come to shove I am a strat man. So many mods can be done on them and the performance to price ratio points in thier favor.

Jimi Hendrix: Spanish Castle Magic: Strat…'Nuff Said.

(There are others but I heard that one on the radio day before yesterday…yes we have a station that plays tha stuff around here)

If your talking Bass - American Fender Jazz is the only way

I have a 79 Strat an Rgx Yamaha and a couple of Hamer Californian’s. I like the Californian’s Best…27 frets…more notes than I need.

StRaNgErOcK

phoo, yer starting to sound like Stan the man Lee.

Gibson vs Fender, kinda like Alien vs. Predator. Me, i’ll play anything ifn the strings ain’t rusty. OUCH!

:D

Gibson, sadly, is over-priced. I wanted the LP tone and didn’t have mucho deinero so I sought out and found a SWEET Epiphone Les Paul Custom Flametop. Excellent Gibby tone, low $$$. Fender on the other hand is much more in my price range. A dang fine Strat can be had for WAY less than a grand. I have two Standard Strats. One has been modded with Carvin p’ups in a HSS configuration, the other is box stock. I also have a Godin LGX III (Main axe) and a Dean Hollowbody. I dig ‘em all.

If you stuck me on a desert island and said I could have one electric guitar… I’d have to take a Strat…and my Korg Pandora…and a cruise ship full o’ batteries. I’d be happy for a LONG time. (Until the food ran out and I died.) :(

TG

Any guitarist worth his/her salt is going to have both (or copies of both). Having said that, a Strat is my pick, but Les Paul’s are really nice too!

Mr Soul

Wot duz dis hav 2 du wiv n? Gerrover to the uvver 4rum!

The sounds day make goes into de n and outter de n and it makes de n and de out sound. Do paul der start make de better de inde out sound.

:D :D :D

Tele Tele Tele!!! Through a 410 fender=Tone …
The bridge pu will absolutely take your head off :D
A texas special on the neck sounds really nice.
I picked up a 52 reissue for 700 and it is one guitar I will never let go of. For me a strat has too many tone choices. I have 2 of them but they haven’t seen daylight for almost 10 years. :)

Alright then. Here’s my two pence or two centimes worth (I’m a Brit living in Switzerland!).

I agree that there are horses for courses. For example Knopfler’s early stuff just had to be on a Strat, but he migrated to different brands as he needed more tone colours. On his last album there are Danelectros and all sorts. Clapton has also used Gibsons and Fenders at different stages. Of course some people have their one and only favourite but if I had the money I’d have loads of different guitars. As is is I have a cheap Peavey Predator Plus which, with a bridge humbucker and two single coils, is fairly versatile, especially through my Digitech RP200 straight into n-Track. For loud real sound I have an old (1979) Roland GA200 combo with twin 10 inch 'speakers, which is punchy and gutsy, clean and bright, but doesn’t do Marshall-type distortion. With the RP200 in front it’s not bad.

:laugh:

a.

I vote for the vintage Gibsons w/ the .106" X .036" fret wire. Any players that have played on an original Gibson circa “1960” or so know what I’m talking about. This was the stock wire found on most Gibsons at the time (alas, no more). This fret wire is not installed on any new stock guitars that I have seen or played, Gibson or other brands, and to me it’s what makes a guitar “playable”, even if it did wear out a little sooner than bigger wire. However, you can get this wire custom installed on Brian Moore or Carvin guitars, but good luck having any other manufacturer even know what you’re talking about. I doubt if even Gibson would oblige a request for it. I also like the original soapbar pickups. Even though they were noisy, that particular punch and tone just can’t be recreated, IMHO.

Quote (etaws @ Mar. 07 2005,13:03)
I vote for the vintage Gibsons w/ the .106" X .036" fret wire. Any players that have played on an original Gibson circa "1960" or so know what I'm talking about. This was the stock wire found on most Gibsons at the time (alas, no more). This fret wire is not installed on any new stock guitars that I have seen or played, Gibson or other brands, and to me it's what makes a guitar "playable", even if it did wear out a little sooner than bigger wire. However, you can get this wire custom installed on Brian Moore or Carvin guitars, but good luck having any other manufacturer even know what you're talking about. I doubt if even Gibson would oblige a request for it. I also like the original soapbar pickups. Even though they were noisy, that particular punch and tone just can't be recreated, IMHO.

Guitars like you mention are indeed available from Gibson. They are part of the Historic Re-Issue series. Construction details inlude long tenon neck joins, original fret size, original neck contours, P90 pickups and even non ABR bridges ae available. The cheapest of these guitars are arounf $4,500.00, though and I've never seen one on the racks of Guitar shops. I have a '57s Custom (black beauty) Historic RI and had to wait nearly a year to have it made. It was worth every penny and every moment's wait.

Save up your pennies and you, too, can have one.

And to think, that when I was a boy you could get one of those new Gibsons for $450, and that was a fancy one.

Gordon Smith - best of both worlds - hand made and play beautifully (for me anyway). Once tried a ‘real’ LP but couldn’t get my fingers around the neck ??? My mate has a strat special, looks nice but sound really well, tinny, i’m afraid!

Quote (etaws @ Mar. 07 2005,14:10)
And to think, that when I was a boy you could get one of those new Gibsons for $450, and that was a fancy one.

This is true.
But you could also buy a Chevy Impala for $2,000.00.

I have had two Les Paul replicas for years, I learned to play on one of them, but it is very poorly intonated today due to worn-down frets I didn’t bother to replace - not on a guitar costing me like $70, anyway. The other one has a near perfect neck, but the electronics are inferior - there’s no life in the tone. This one I actually adopted from a friend, and still use from time to time.

A year ago I bought a ‘real’ Fender Telecaster, a mexican, but nevertheless the genuine article… - It has revived my playing in ways unimaginable before I bought it. I use it all the time, even with my e-bow, which actually performs better with a humbucker pick-up instead of a single coil, but to get that tone… :D

While shopping around for a Telecaster I found a second-hand Telecaster Relic from 1961. It looked like it had been dragged across the stage a thousand times, but was otherwise in perfect shape. It had a tone that brought a tear to the eye, even when not plugged in, and when fed some juice it was a Stradivarius! It would have set me back about $5.600, but if had had that kind of money (I considered for a moment to take out a loan then and there) I would have bought it. The reason I didn’t was the fact that I don’t play guitar for a living… - I do this only for the fun of it, and that guitar belonged in the hands of a pro. I love my tele…

regards, Nils

So…I guess I’m a Fender guy after all. :D Selling my V on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7306003346