Fender VS. Gibson

???
Thats a #### of a choice...
different tools for the job and all,
Jazz Boxes, LPs, Strats, Teles, V's, Acoustics, Jazzstangs
they all have their place, but lately (shudder the thought from a fellow who never saw the need for anything that wasn't an LP not so long ago) I've been playing my Strat!!!

Selling one off though...yikes ("But I might need that...LOL")

but if I buy one more guitar I think my wife will leave me!!!
So...I guess I'm a Fender guy after all. Selling my V on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7306003346

It's always sad to part with a guitar but I personally find Flying-V type guitars too uncomfortable to play seriously (especially sitting down!). But at least they don't need a guitar stand.

i’ve always been under the impression that there is a magic in fender guitars,epecially strats…what nil’s said too holds true for me also,bout the tele changing his playing,for sucha simple guitar,these things scream"finger pick me",its almost like your drawn to it,its notta conncious thing,havin a tele after i had strats did this to me an set me on a whole other journey ,i still play strats an now i finger pick them too,i just like how Leo nail’d this shit on his first try just about,that blows my mind,heres to Mr.Fender ,and his marvelous instruments,

Okay, so my V sold for $860 on ebay, and I bought this strat for $250…250! It has my favorite pickup and strap system already installed. I have a black one just like it that costed me over $650 when I finished “customizing” like this (will probably just add locking tuners since I loved the planet waves ones I had on the V). Theres that price/performance ratio we all mentioned. Now I have $610 to put towards new monitors and RENT! heh. That V was nice but yeah, only fun/easy to play while standing up…which makes a terrible songwriting tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws…MEWA:IT

Rent…who really needs it? :angry:

Let us know how you like the new guitar!

:)

Rent…isn’t that what girlfriends are for?

In 35 years of playing drums around Seattle I have met exactly 1 guy who really knew how to make a Les Paul sound good.
All the others wanted to sound like Jimmy Page. Distortion.
Page is one of the few legends who actually played a les paul.
Les Paul players generally can not play a strat, I think their fingers get lazy.
The les pauls are beautiful and can be made to sound great.
I say there are lots of great guitars out there and the idea that only one or two fit the bill is rediculous. I am supposed to believe that no buiders exist who can
build something better than a old gibson or fender? Right.
What do I know, I’m just a drummer.

Play a Gibson Les Paul through a high quality tubed half-stack (like a Mesa Boogie) and try to tell me that sound isn’t beautiful!

Quote (Jay Jay @ Mar. 14 2005,10:12)
Play a Gibson Les Paul through a high quality tubed half-stack (like a Mesa Boogie) and try to tell me that sound isn't beautiful!

To me personally that sound is just too standard. Les paul direct into a stack=dry tone that lacks harmonics. I prefer being creative and not having the same guitar tone as half the world. Guitars are guitars in my opinion...some do play and feel better than others, but I have always worried more about getting an original sound via outboard gear...preamps, pedals, compressors, etc. Its funny...I love the guitar, but I hate this whole ideology of "how its supposed to sound". I find its ussually the dinosaurs that keep that notion going. My apologies to the dinosaurs who don't think this way. :)
Quote (Rhythmking @ Mar. 14 2005,09:50)
In 35 years of playing drums around Seattle I have met exactly 1 guy who really knew how to make a Les Paul sound good.
All the others wanted to sound like Jimmy Page. Distortion.
Les Paul players generally can not play a strat, I think their fingers get lazy.
The les pauls are beautiful and can be made to sound great.
I say there are lots of great guitars out there and the idea that only one or two fit the bill is rediculous. I am supposed to believe that no buiders exist who can
build something better than a old gibson or fender? Right.
What do I know, I'm just a drummer.

check out the guitar post in the "everything else" forum. Many of us listed other guitars we enjoy as well...I just started this thread to ask the age old question of fellow Ntrackers.
Quote (Jimisin73 @ Mar. 14 2005,08:49)
Rent...isn't that what girlfriends are for?

Yeah, but when your married its a no win situation. :angry:
Quote (silvermachina @ Mar. 14 2005,10:28)
Yeah, but when your married its a no win situation. :angry:

Here's to wives and girlfriends... May the two never meet!
:laugh:

I hear ya brother…

single coils? Strat or Tele
Buckers? PRS,Gibson
combination pups? Fender,Gibson:blues:

rythmking: aren’t you forgetting Billy Gibbons on playing a good Paul?

Cheers:blues:

And Then…There are those guitars that you just pick up at a music store to noodle on and you immediately go WOW or holy#### or is this real. I have a Washburn Nuno that plays and sounds like a dream…Koa wood 200.00 low end Nuno. I put Carvin pups in (these are real sleeper pups if you’ve never tried them) and it actually rivals my 95 prs CE24. Looks like a piece of doo so it will never be stolen.

cheers
Cruiser :cool:

Quote (Rhythmking @ Mar. 14 2005,09:50)

This has been discussed in several places (this forum maybe included), but I've let myself to be told that Page used Danelectros and Telecasters through a Supro amp when recording and replaced them with Les Pauls and Marshalls for live use, where he needed much more power and a guitar that wouldn't feed back. (That was during the end part of the "vocals-only PA systems" period.)

Given that old Pagey had the experience and resources to use whatever he wanted, there's probably a lot of Les Paul on records, too...

I've always seenFenders - especially Strats and Teles - as sorts of "workingman-like" guitars: they're tools and you'd have no second thoughts about modifying them for your personal needs. The "modular" design with a lot of changeable parts helps, of course. Gibsons (and Gretsches) are more like works of art themselves - you try to keep them as they were, unmodified, well polished and unscratched.

"Gibsons (and Gretsches) are more like works of art themselves - you try to keep them as they were, unmodified, well polished and unscratched."

Hahahahah. Kitty is laughing. Her guitar used to be a 1980s reissue of a 1950s LP Special with P90s. The picture really covers up all the scratches and divots. The original laquer is soft in spots from sweat and other liquids. BTW the tuners are not original either and the screw holes don’t match.

MEOW!

Just yesterday I was watching the “JJ Cale feat. Leon Russell In Session at the Paradise Studios Los Angeles 1979” DVD - a truly nice set, very recommended - and Mr. Cale DID use a Strat in about half of the songs.

Anyway, I was more taken by his other guitar, the famed Harmony - why haven’t any guitar company copied it and released a JJ Cale Signature Model? I’d buy one! :p