Fights

any experiances with that?

Back in 71 or 72 we played a club in Greenville NC… Don’t remember the name of the club but just into the second song when some babe hits a guy over the head with a pitcher of beer.
Then the whole place broke out into a brawl. :laugh: Not a smart thing to do.

Another show we did in Tampa Fla; some guy got stabbed just off the dance floor and was carted off to the hospital but we didn’t see that one happen.

Being a musician isn’t the safest job in the world.

…In 2000 I think it was in a hole of a club in Barnsley two women were fighting with chairs…

I use to play behind a singer that thought it was his job to start fights! More than once I saw him take a mic stand to a big ole boy!

No experience here. :whistle: I was always the “big menacing lookin’ guy” everybody left alone. I was also a big martial arts fan. The only fights I ever got into were over before they ever really started. I walked away while the other dude was trying to get the fog outta his head…

D

PS HA! I just remembered a guy took a swing at me and landed a sucker punch on the side of me ol’ noggin… I was waiting for the next one though. A quick side-step, arm grab and shoulder roll, I had his feet about 12 feet in the air and slapped him down in the gravel like a sack of taters… He was my “best bud” after that. :laugh: Sometimes being a big ol’ boy has advantages. LOL…

i iz not a big ol’ boy, just an above average height bean-pole. therefore i recommend playing behind chicken-wire like in ‘blues brothers.’

Was jammin’ with a band in Qatar when the singer said “The fight starts around 1am”, he was 15 minutes out! :)

Quote: (Diogesneez @ Jun. 10 2009, 4:40 PM)

No experience here. :whistle:
I was always the "big menacing lookin' guy" everybody left alone. I was also a big martial arts fan. The only fights I ever got into were over before they ever really started. I walked away while the other dude was trying to get the fog outta his head...

D

You know the last fight I was personally in was with a big guy your size.
I went with a friend to a club in Dallas to see Savoy Brown.
I was pumped to see Savoy and it was also during a time in my life when I was actually pumped from lifting heavy weights.
In fact I was so pumped and strong I was curious to know how I would stand up in a fight.

But fighting wasn't on my mind, I wanted to get a buzz and groove to Savoy! Yeah!
Anyway I got hat checked.
At the door they said I couldn't wear my brand knew fire engine red baseball cap inside! It was a great cap that I had to fold up and put in my hip pocket.
We got seated up in the bleacher area about 100 feet from the stage and each drank a pitcher of beer lol! Anyway, I happen to notice this hot babe walk by and she was wearing a cowboy hat!
And another one wearing a hat.
And I'm thinkin if they can I can too!
So I put my cap back on!
And I'm pretty smashed by know.
I looked goood in it!
:D <----(Just like that one) lol Well we are drinkin and groovin and havin a great time.
Then mother natured called like she does so many times when one drinks suds with ease.
So I hopped down from the bleachers and was making a b line for the john when I felt this tug tug tug on my shirt sleeve. (before that we noticed bad behavior by the bouncers and we pretty much hated them at this point).
I was drunk but I knew what the tug was for but kept moving and ignored him.
The next tug was a little stronger, strong enough to be classified as rude!
So me being 50% Irish I decided that was enough abuse with the hat and all.
I quickly turned and chest lunge the pest.
I sent him flyin and if I had been an experienced fighter I would have gotten on him when I had him totally off balance.
But being me (the lover lol) I turned and kept moving for the john.
There was no rude tug on my sleeve the next time.
He hit me with a big time punch from behind around to the right side of my head (guess he was trying to knock my hat off).
That sent me down and almost out, down on one arm and a few feet from the ground.
As I pushed my self back up he reached around my neck and put me in a full nelson!
Ha!
I could hear my neck crackin!
And feel it too! He swung me around like a rag doll.
I really thought he was going to plant my head in a pin ball machine!
Or crush my wind pipe.
So I calmly said: "Ok Ok, let me down and I'll go take a pesss and go home, YOU WIN! (Loosing graciously was better than diein a painful death)!!! lol And he said what?
I could barely speak he was choking me so bad.
This guys forearm must have been 6" in diameter!
When he put me down I was amazed to look up at this 6'5, OR MORE, huge guy!
He made us leave, the jerk! :laugh:
Quote: (spreadercraig @ Jun. 10 2009, 3:31 PM)

...In 2000 I think it was in a hole of a club in Barnsley two women were fighting with chairs....

They where probably fightin over you boy! :laugh:
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 10 2009, 3:39 PM)

I use to play behind a singer that thought it was his job to start fights! More than once I saw him take a mic stand to a big ole boy!

:laugh: Don't you just hate guys who are like that?! :laugh:
:laugh:

It’s not the fights breaking out, it’s when they rip the urinals off the walls in the bathrooms that make ya kinda shake in yer boots!

Chicken wire won’t hold em back, so ya better not suck and ya better play some Skynyrd! :cool:

“Raaaaw-hide!” :cool:

D

Man I’m glad I only play at church now… I couldn’t handle it these days.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jun. 11 2009, 10:09 AM)

Man I'm glad I only play at church now......... I couldn't handle it these days.

Amen brutha!

D
:laugh: Don't let um scare ya pops ;) It's all a mind game these days! WAIT!! A guy was just gunned down in a Church!
Oh well it's better to play wherever than to never have played at all!

Yep - I did about 15 years in the beer and wine mines.
I’ve mellowed a lot and found it’s much easier to say to a band member, "Oh, by the way. That was supposed to be an F# over D going into the chorus. Can you remember that next time for me?"
than
"If you miss that chord change one more time, I’m kickin’ yer ass and that’s all there is to it."

I like me better now.

Besides, I’s gettin too old and slow fer that brawlin’ nonsense myself… Much safer at church. Elsewhere I’d just have to be really devious and pack the ol’ Graphic Equalizer with me.

D with Graphic Equalizer:

D

nice tie!

M.I.B. (Monkey In Black) :laugh:

D