Final Mix "Bad Attitude"

I have finally got to that stage where I can no longer hear the difference between each mix I do!!

Therefore I figure that means it is as good as it is gonna get.

Thanks for all your input, to this and previous tracks. Please take a listen.

Bad Attitude

Nick C

You know why you think “it is as good as it is gonna get”? Because it is as good as it gets!

I won’t tell you that this is the best song I’ve heard (I’m honest enough to admit that), but I will tell you that this is as good a production on a song as I’ve heard on here. The song is radio-friendly and as good as songs I hear on the radio from people like Jack Johnson and John Mayer.

DC

Ditto what Digitcallous said.

T

Wow!! - that is a huge compliment. Thankyou.

All I have to do now is write the bst song you’ve ever heard :slight_smile:

I really liked Maybe I and I really like this tune. I’d buy’em both.

Congratulations on your work!

Shayne

Just listened to a few songs on here and this jumps out as a great song really beautifully played and sung. BUT on our system the production is way too in your face, very very bassy. You could let it be a little more subtle and let a lovely song sell itself.

Excellent work. Deserves to be a hit. Well done. :D

Hi Plum,

Thanks for the compliments. For me, the production & mastering stage is really difficult. Not only am I limited on the quality of my playback system, but I have no expertise in this area. Can you suggest specific EQ parameter modifications that would improve the sonic performance.

Failing that - do you fancy re-mastering it?

Best regards

nick

Sorry about the delay in replying.

I’m almost a complete novice at all of this and have not even got a song mixed down yet so would be the wrong person to advise you on this. I have played with mixes enough to agree with you that it is very difficult to do. I was just commenting on what we heard when we played the song on Saturday (both myself and my wife immediately said it was a great song).

When I started trying to mixdown the first song we did I found the parametric EQ and started playing with that cos it sounded interesting. When I did some reading it was suggested that it’s much better to just adjust the volumes of each of the tracks so that they sit together better. I found this did work better and drew the volume to bring the individual tracks up and down where I wanted. This is really easy in n-Track.

I found this article quite interesting, with a lot of tips.

I think you’re already further ahead of me. Maybe it’s just different rooms/systems/speakers as the article suggests.

Hope this helps in some way.

cheers

Thanks for all the comments and support! I really feel that I have made real progress with this track. It really feels the closest to commercial recordings I have done in n-track (whether that is by luck or judgement I’m not sure ) :p

Anyway, the final version now had a piano part which builds up the end of the track nicely I think.

Check it out on myspace:

Bad Attitude

Take care

Nick

Even on my crummy internet pc speakers it shouts quality. Very nice. I know sod all about recording 'cept what I’ve found out in the last couple of months but I reckon there’s a point where if you think it sounds right go with it and move on to the next one. Trust your judgement.

GREAT GREAT job man

i love the tune…and the production is top notch…youll have to share your secret :slight_smile:

-john

just to add my 2 cents nick about when to stop

when you feel fatigued and sick of it…just stop…you did all you could…put it away and not listen to it for a while and put it out there and let others listen to it.

youd be surprised how fresh and satisfying your tune is after taking a leave of absence from it. in my opinion…its good…dont overdo it. :slight_smile:

Ok, where to start. . .

The singing sounds great, Accoustic is very well done, Bass is nice and clean, Percussion is subtle and effective, and the Piano is a nice touch. . . but:

The synth orchestra/strings patch is KILLING ME. . . have you tried individual string instrument arrangement? A soft strings patch under a few well written and layered solo lines can make a world of difference.

It’s a great song, but as a “synth-whore” the contrast of accoustic and synthetic textures just screams at me.

Tag,

Thanks for the comments. This is an interesting view - as I really like the strings :slight_smile: I guess these things are subjective right? Listening again, they could probably be pushed back in the mix a tad, but as I have said above, I am done with this one!

I have posted this on a fair few forums and I have not had any comments about the strings. But I take note of all these comments and take benifit from them for the next project.

Thanks again.

Wow, excellent work. It sounds great on my system!!!

Thanks Bryan - the comments are really apreciated.

This track has been remixed by a DJ based in Barcelona and it has turned into a fairly successful trace number…

listen to it at:
snr_paul MySpace

take care

Nick

Cool! The remix is good too. How did the DJ dude find out about your song.

T

Not ot jump on the bandwagon way late in the game, but if you were aiming for “commercial” - you surpassed that. :D

This sounds better than a lot of the commercial CDs I listen to. Excellent work.

I hope you’ll leak some of the secrets of your success to the rest of us!