finally upgraded

first questions please help

Well I took the Plunge and upgraded. My first question is this. How do I see the whole mix in one click. I used to press view all. I no longer see that. 2nd I used to click a time line over the first track and n would go there. I can’t seem to do that anymore. Please help. Dan

This is one of the reasons I haven’t upgraded, Dan. I downloaded the demo to try it, and so many of my tools have either been altered or disappeared altogether that it is like purchasing a completely different program from the one I’ve grown to love.

When I record, I only have the timeline window open. I never bring the mixer window up unless I’m messing with the master volume or pan controls, or assigning fx to the master channel or aux sends.

One of the main tools I use is the draw volume and pan envelopes, and that is gone too, not to mention the tracks have different sizes, based (I suppose) on the loudness of the track.

This is one of the reasons I have hung on as long as I have to my “obsolete” version of n-track, because some of Flavio’s IMPROVEMENTS have removed the usefulness of the software for me :heart-break:

Seriously, Flavio, can you not have the option available for those of us who DON’T WANT our screens cluttered up with 20 different things to simply look at the whole song in timeline, click on various sections of it to adjust volumes, pans or sends, just like you did back in the old days? You would find more of us willing to upgrade to the new versions and get the improvements if you hadn’t made it so that we have to learn the entire program again from the ground up.

The only similarity I see between n-track 6.1 and n-track 2.3 is the name… everything else has changed.

Quote: (deejay @ Oct. 10 2010, 7:29 PM)

Well I took the Plunge and upgraded. My first question is this. How do I see the whole mix in one click. I used to press view all. I no longer see that. 2nd I used to click a time line over the first track and n would go there. I can't seem to do that anymore. Please help. Dan

The 'View all song' button is by default on the upper toolbar, it might not fit in your monitor, try right clicking on the toolbar and selecting 'Customize' to bring back the button or move it to a visible location.
You should also be able to click on the timeline axis. The axis is divided into two horizontal bars, the lower one is used to click and drag to "scrub", i.e. hear what is below the cursor as you drag. The upper part is used to position the time cursor. Double clicking on it will make it move the cursor and start the playback. I don't think that this has changed from version 2.x.

Flavio.
Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Oct. 11 2010, 7:48 AM)

One of the main tools I use is the draw volume and pan envelopes, and that is gone too, not to mention the tracks have different sizes, based (I suppose) on the loudness of the track.

This is one of the reasons I have hung on as long as I have to my "obsolete" version of n-track, because some of Flavio's IMPROVEMENTS have removed the usefulness of the software for me
:heart-break:

Seriously, Flavio, can you not have the option available for those of us who DON'T WANT our screens cluttered up with 20 different things to simply look at the whole song in timeline, click on various sections of it to adjust volumes, pans or sends, just like you did back in the old days? You would find more of us willing to upgrade to the new versions and get the improvements if you hadn't made it so that we have to learn the entire program again from the ground up.

The only similarity I see between n-track 6.1 and n-track 2.3 is the name... everything else has changed.

I understand the frustration of having to re-learn certain commands as they evolve, however I try to balance that with the requests of many users to add new features and to make commands more accessible to novice users.
That said I'm not sure if I understand some of the things you refer to.. the tracks are still all of the same size, unless you click on the 'minimize' button to make a track shorter.
Also the draw volume/pan envelopes tool is definitely still there.
If you have any specific thing you don't like in the new version please describe it so that we can try to fix it in the next releases.

Anyway I appreciate the feedback, we do try to improve the program, constantly, and sometimes it has happened that some improvements have turned out to be steps back, and when that turned out to be the case we reverted back to the old behavior, such as for example in the case of eliminating the Ctrl -> crosshair switch to drag parts in favor of the crosshair icon in each part lower left corner.

Flavio.

Hi Flavio and All:

I have the issue of not being able to see the “View All Song” icon on the Main Tool Bar, as well…
BUT…
only on the Monitor Screens I use on the Studio DJ Desk setup… I’d like to keep all the Command Icons that are on that Toolbar by default…

I can’t remember the Monitor Screen Resolutions I use on that setup…
Anyway, it is the resolution I choose to use on the DJ Desk machine the is the P-4 XP Matrox G-550 Graphics Card, setup…
SO…
to be able to see the “View All Song” on the timeline I navigate to Settings> Zoom> and then to View All song" from the drop down menu …
It’s a bit slow to have to do that…
I don’t think there is a Quick Keyboard Command to do that operation…
However, if a Keyboard “Quick Command” could be setup for showing “View All Song”… That would be nice to have in a future build…
:agree:
:)

Bill…

[EDIT]
Could there be an altunitive method of Fixing the “View All Song” issue when using a screen resolution that doesn’t show on the screen ????

Flavio, after getting it in my head that I had to be FAIR, I installed the demo again, and I indeed found everything (as you said) of the tools that I use, so I am ready to upgrade to 6.1, here within the next week or two when I can get 2 dollars to rub together at the same time, lol!

Once I’m upgraded, I can’t wait to play with the n-vocal plugin you’ve devised, although I suspect it won’t only be used on vocals, lol!

One minor issue… installing the Demo caused me to have to wipe and reinstall my Windows XP, because for some reason, the demo interfered with the operation of my full version, and no amount of tweaking or uninstall/reinstalls would correct that, even after uninstalling the demo.

That’s okay, though, I probably needed a housecleaning in my o/s anyways, so this just motivated me to do it now, because I can’t survive without my recording studio, lol!

Once I’m upgraded, there won’t be any looking back…

-Danny

I want to know how to REMOVE things that I don’t use.

I don’t know how many times I have glossed over things with my wireless mouse and something clicked I didn’t want to or didn’t even know what it is or how to undo it.

I’d really like to streamline this baby and get rid of all the stuff I don’t use.

The same thing happens to me when using windows, I am trying to delete or open a file and accidentally click “create shortcut” instead what a pain in the arse I would love to get rid of that option, never once in my 20 years of using computers have I EVER needed to create a shortcut to anything…but yet that is there in the basic options as if it is an every day needed thing…(right next to open and delete)

The other thing I want to get rid of is the “rewind” double arrow on Ntrack, never once in a decade have I wanted to press that…but it never fails when I am zoomed way in on the time line trying to home in on something and press play…I hit that stupid double left arrow on accident now I am at the beginning of the song…I have to zoom all the way out find my place in the song set the cursor their and zoom all the way back in…it would make my week to get rid of that button for good, if I want to go to the beginning of the song I can just drag the little square thing to the left, or click the timeline at the left side.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

yesssssssss…thanks Flavio.Things are starting to look much like i remember now.Cant wait to dig into all the new stuff here.Much appreciated. Dan
Oh and i love the personal tech support,hasnt changed a bit in the 8yrs ive had my N.