First Guitars

I was really interested to see TomSs picture of his first guitar a japanese Teisco, & thought it would make a good thread in its own right. Maybe its been done before i dont know.

Mine was a Zenta sort of Telecaster copy with one pickup. It was brill.& i kept it for 30 years till Sarah & Allison ganged up on me earlier this year & said they wanted to cut bits off of it & stick yellow fur fabric on it to create the guitar Allison dances with for about 5 seconds in our Guitars from Hell video!!
I’m still missing it, it got bashed about something terrible but still worked. It had the most incredible twangy tone, I learnt to bend notes on it cos it was so easy to do that on it.
I lent it to a friend for about 2 years & it came back as a Stradivarius (he’d ripped off the Zenta badge & made a new one that said Stradivaruis) so it became known as my Fender Strad!!

This is the nearest pic I could find to it, mine didnt have the bridge pickup

TinaM

Heheh. Nice one Tina.
I was recently reunited with one of my first guitars after 23 years. I barely remember owning it but the bridge cover that I’ve had in a box for ever fitted like magic. My twelve year old son informs me, it’s a Vox Ace - I love the way that pre-pubescents focus.
:laugh:
I’ll up a photo ASAP.

The picture of the Teisco was from a site a fellow keeps who collects the things. Not mine! :( I wish I still had it - those things actually are worth some money on Ebay. Weird. But your are right, Tina, the tone from those under-wound pickups and the overly flexible neck really has an appeal. :agree:

But the Teisco was actually my second. Third was a Japanese white Les Paul copy. First was a Japanese SG copy, maroon, hideious, big fat horrible whammy bar. 4th was a late 60s Ric with three pickups and a whammy. That one got destroyed in a house fire. But I bought one just like it a few years ago. I love Rics.

Tina, why doesn’t Death By Guitar have a facebook fan page? :agree:

I have seen some nice VOX 12string acoustics with the ivory inlays. (they had the removable necks)

The ones made in the 60’s in ITaly go for about $1000 on fleebay.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Tina! Why did you let 'em destroy your Tele - and where is it?

Tony,
They cut off the horn & the hump, then decided it was not the shape they wanted & so got a circuler piece of wood & attached the neck to that. then they covered it in long pile yellow fur fabric & put
all the hardware back with a bit of husband help.

Anyway like you almost totally forgetting your first guitar Tony, it seems ive forgotten mine!
sarah’s reminded me I had one bfore the Zenta. Looking onlinr i’ve worked out it was a Watkins or Wilson Rapier.
I remember it was secondhand, probaly weighed more than i did & was very grimy.
like any female i decided it needed a good clean & took it all apart(even had the neck off) with a set of my dads screwdrivers. I cleaned it all up but even with my dads help couldnt get it back together properly!
So I never really played it!

Tom, Allison keeps saying we should have a facebook page but sarah & i are not facebook people, it’s always seemed like a
way for shallow people to waste there time sharing there boring lives with a bunch of like minded cronies. I never thought of a fan page though, i dont know if weve got enough fans.

TinaM

Cool looking guitar.

Nah! Take 'em to court, or bludgeon them with the remains :laugh:

This was my first axe. Me mum bought me one when I was 8. :laugh:

Fingers…uh, I mean, figures, Flanderdoodle.

LMAO @ the wangcaster!

Mine was what my Grandpa bought me… Fender Strat.

Quote: (Unknown1 @ Oct. 10 2010, 6:08 PM)

This was my first axe.
Me mum bought me one when I was 8.

if you've read my first post in this thread Unknown1, youll know if you leave that lying around Sarah & Allison will cut bits off of it!

You lucky thing miDnIghtEr20C starting with a Fender, after all these years I still dream of owning one!
Zoolander is one of my favourite films, love your avatar!

TinaM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cut bits off it! :laugh: :laugh:

hehehe…
:p

There’s not a whole lot of wood to cut off it…
:p
:)

Bill…

Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 11 2010, 3:53 AM)

Quote: (Unknown1 @ Oct. 10 2010, 6:08 PM)

This was my first axe.
Me mum bought me one when I was 8.

if you've read my first post in this thread Unknown1, youll know if you leave that lying around Sarah & Allison will cut bits off of it!

You lucky thing
miDnIghtEr20C starting with a Fender, after all these years I still dream of owning one!
Zoolander is one of my favourite films, love your avatar!

TinaM

Hansel, he's so hot right now. Hansel.

sigh you guys had all the interesting guitars. My first electric was one I bought off a buddy for twenty-five bucks. It had a speaker built into the body, and the flat soapbar pickups that sat on top of the wood. The electronics hummed horribly, until I figured out that I could tie a piece of speaker wire to the bridge, put the other end in my mouth, and it wouldn’t hum. My “amp” was a little cassette recorder that I plugged into the mic jack and would approximate distortion if I turned the volume up all the way. I was the proud owner of a six-string humming kazoo, woohoo!!!

Before that, all I’d ever had was an old acoustic my dad had bought for me in a yard-sale when I was eleven. The neck was so warped it made a better bow for playing cowboys and indians than an instrument for playing rock n roll, lol!

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Oct. 12 2010, 12:45 AM)

*sigh* you guys had all the interesting guitars. My first electric was one I bought off a buddy for twenty-five bucks. It had a speaker built into the body, and the flat soapbar pickups that sat on top of the wood. The electronics hummed horribly, until I figured out that I could tie a piece of speaker wire to the bridge, put the other end in my mouth, and it wouldn't hum. My "amp" was a little cassette recorder that I plugged into the mic jack and would approximate distortion if I turned the volume up all the way. I was the proud owner of a six-string humming kazoo, woohoo!!!

that sounds priceless, you standing there playing guitar witha wire in your mouth, plugged into a cassete player as an amp!
Was it made with the speaker built in? or added later?

Tina

I might aswell tell you bout my 3rd guitar a Columbus les Paul copy. The worst guitar I’ve ever owned!
Bought it locally, got it home & found a bad buzz on the first fret. Took it back to the shop & the guy said he’d sort it fr me. He sorted it alright! he raised the action by 1 cm & put huge strings on it. It was awful.
years later i was ina band and they wanted me to play solos. The singer said could she have an old guitar to dance around with during these solos instead of just standing there.
I gave her the Cloumbus. After the gig she was mobbed by all these boys raving about how she managed to play good guitar solos & dance around
wildly!
I was so mad!! I took all the strings off but she’d still get some idiots coming up after the gig about her guitar playing. Maybe she was just prettier than me!

i met her again last year & she said she still had it in her loft.
I got my revenge onthat guitar - I gave it to sarah & allison & they cannibalised it into the devil guitar Allison plays inthat video of ours! HAHAHAHA (evil laugh)!!!