First Mixing Attempt

Feedback on Mix and such

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the N-track forums and I would like to submit a song that I’ve been working on.
I’m trying to get everything to balance correctly.
I’m also working on compresson and reverb with the vocals.
Not sure if it’s the best it can be.
The compression and reverb is from N-track, and I’m not very good at using it.
Would like some feedback on how to use them effectively.
Thanks in advance!

The Song: http://www.soundclick.com/clocmosley

-Mosley

Woah!!! Welcome, Mosely.
I really like this. Of course, there are a million and one things that could be done with it sonically but it’s cool just as it is.
Is there something you’re trying to do with it but can’t?

Well, I have no right to offer much in the way of criticism, but FWIW:

1. There seems to be some extra time at the beginning of the track - you can edit it out with an audio editor like Goldwave (which you can try out for free, the demo is not crippled).

2. Also, I couldn’t download it yet, so all I could do was listen on my laptop, but it sounds really good on it. But - I’m telling everyone to go try bandcamp.com - you can set it up for free lossless downloads in FLAC format.
Much better for your listeners and critics to hear it in lossless format than an mp3.
:agree:

3. If this is your first shot at it, I’d hate to hear what you’re going to be doing in a year or 5.
:)
I know what good mixes sound like, although my mixes absolutely…suck…not to put too fine a point on it…and I know it…somehow, I don’t really have an ear…but you have all of the pieces sitting well together already.
Most importantly, you have the vocals up where they should be.
I, and everyone else I know, tend to bury the vox, especially when we were just starting on this stuff.
Is that you singing?
You have a great voice, too.

4. You know about tapeop?

Really, really nice recording. Post more!

Also, with regard to reverb, people do get good results from the built-in one, but (unlike compression, really) they all sound different. You might want to check out an impulse reverb. I’m still using the free version of SIR, which has been around for a little while:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/736.html

You also might enjoy tooling around the KVR site, if you don’t already know about it. :)

Yup, all that and/or…
Open your mix into a fresh n-Track to trim the ends and have a play with these…

http://www.maketunes.com/articles/classic-vst-plugins

Hi mosley:

All the tracks fit quite well, together… You don’t need to play much with the dynamics… The energy going on there, is great…
However, I seem to like to hear the vocals a little more… out front…
that’s just me…
:laugh:
Poke that fader up, just a hair…
:p

I grew up with a Bill Mosley…
He is a few years older than me…
He spent an awful pile of time hanging around the “Bar Scene”…

Bill…

I knew a great philosopher named Terry Mosley.

I bought Oswald Mosley’s front door.

Wow guyz!! Thatnk you so much for all your responses.
I want to figure out how to use the compression settings better.
I used the built in compression on N-track,
but I’m having trouble dialing it in.
I was also playing around with the volume settings to adjust some of the sound fluctuations, but couldn’t figure out how to do that on single tracks.
I know that it has to do with envelops and nodes, but I don’t know how to set the dots and match the lines. (not sure if this makes sense).
I’m trying to get more clarity in the vocals, and I think that right compression and reverb could do just that. I’m totally going to check out those sites. Thanks for linking them fellas!

-Mosley

Thanks TonyR, that’s exactly what I was looking for! :slight_smile: The problem was that I wasn’t adding enough nodes to adjust the sound. I was only using 2 nodes. Point A to point B didn’t work so well…opps lol.

-Mosley

Quote: (TomS @ Jul. 31 2010, 6:11 AM)

Well, I have no right to offer much in the way of criticism, but FWIW:

1. There seems to be some extra time at the beginning of the track - you can edit it out with an audio editor like Goldwave (which you can try out for free, the demo is not crippled).

2. Also, I couldn't download it yet, so all I could do was listen on my laptop, but it sounds really good on it. But - I'm telling everyone to go try bandcamp.com - you can set it up for free lossless downloads in FLAC format.
Much better for your listeners and critics to hear it in lossless format than an mp3.

3. If this is your first shot at it, I'd hate to hear what you're going to be doing in a year or 5.
I know what good mixes sound like, although my mixes absolutely...suck...not to put too fine a point on it...and I know it...somehow, I don't really have an ear...but you have all of the pieces sitting well together already.
Most importantly, you have the vocals up where they should be.
I, and everyone else I know, tend to bury the vox, especially when we were just starting on this stuff.
Is that you singing?
You have a great voice, too.

4. You know about tapeop?

Really, really nice recording.
Post more!

Hey TomS,

I really appreciate the kind words. The vocals were all me, but I wish they sounded better! (Hey don't we all!) :)
I don't know what tapeop is, but I would love to learn!
I'll check out bandcamp.com and setup it up. The more places to post my music the better.

-Mosley

Tapeop is a free recording magazine. go to tapeop.com. Also, there are lots and lots of people there who can help with things, too. Re: bandcamp - you can post stuff there in FLAC, which means lossless compression! :agree:

Hey guys, quick question.

I googled the www.tapeop.com website and it had warning messages about it being a potential attack web site.
When I manually typed in the web page into FireFox it jumped a huge big red warning saying my security settings won’t let me or suggest I don’t go there.
Any concerns on your part about that web site? Sounds like it may be overly cautious
software warnings. Better to ask first though.
Thanks much.

Weird.

Weird…
To-Say-The-Least…
Nothing here, on this end, regarding security…
???

Bill…

blocked here.

???
???

This should be moved to "Anything Else"

Just a quick OFF Topic..

Yesterday, I received in my mail a YouSendIt offer..
It (the plug-in) allows you to send huge/large files in your normal e-mail.. That is, if you use Microsoft Outlook Express, as your browser..

I thought it might be nice for those guys including us...
in-and-around the music to quickly send a music file to ...
Well..
Anyway, I attempted to forward the mail to a friend and Low-and-Behold Norton 360 scanned the mail and rejected it ..
Norton wouldn't allow me to send/forward the mail..
???

Norton allowed me to open the mail and download the plug-in..
NO Issues..
I haven't used the plug, yet...

Bill..