Flag at half-mast for pope??

Do you

Many of you in the States may have noticed that several flags are at half staff in recognition of the Pope, including at government and military facilities. As far as I know, only the president can order the flag down at military facilities, but can’t confirm at this time wheter he actually did. The pope was arguably an admired leader but he never held a position in the US government, so it all seems rather odd to me. Anyway, I will abstain from this vote. What is your take?

• By The Associated Press
    Sunday, April 3, 2005

(04-03) 01:16 PST (AP) –

A proclamation issued Saturday by President Bush about Pope John Paul II:

As a mark of respect for His Holiness Pope John Paul II, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and on all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the federal government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its territories and possessions until sunset on the day of his interment.

I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same period at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this second day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand five, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-ninth.

URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin…S11.DTL
Quote (TomS @ April 06 2005,08:06)
As a mark of respect

I don't see a thing wrong with flying the flag at half mast for JPII. It has been flown at half mast for many people with very dubious and possibly nefarious backgrounds. Pope John Paul II, regardless of what anybody thinks of his religiosity was a good man and pretty well respected around the globe.

TG

Isn’t the Vatican like a state or something?

I think it’s actually a country… might be wrong.

The Vatican is an independent state, (and I’m using “state” here in the national sense, not the sense it is used in the USA), and the pope is head of that state, so it is customary for other nations to pay their respects.

That is why the heads of state of many countries, or their representatives, will also be attending the funeral, Catholic or not.

So, it’s a national matter, not a religious one. And not flying one’s national flag at half mast as a mark of respect upon the death of the head of state of a friendly nation, would be a deliberate insult.

Ali

Whooo boy, I see you guys paid attention in history class. The Papal States were given to the pope in 700 something by Pepin the Short and I think more was handed over by Charlemagne, but I don’t remember. they were independant for about 1000 some years. In the 1800s with Napoleaon et al running all over the place the Papal States got all chopped up and vast parts were reclaimed. In the 1930s Italy signed a treaty with Vatican City which was the last remaining Papal State stting that it was soverign etc. and Italy would let it exist in peace and harmony…

Actually, it’s just occurred to me, that the USA is possibly unique in this, in that your head of government and your head of state are the same person, i.e, the president.

I can’t think of any other country that has that, can you? ???

But I suppose your Supreme Court does at least one of the jobs carried out by heads of state in other countries, i.e., keeping an eye out that the head of government ain’t a total crook! :D

Ali

Quote (nergle @ April 06 2005,17:29)
Actually, it's just occurred to me, that the USA is possibly unique in this, in that your head of government and your head of state are the same person, i.e, the president.

I can't think of any other country that has that, can you? ???

But I suppose your Supreme Court does at least one of the jobs carried out by heads of state in other countries, i.e., keeping an eye out that the head of government ain't a total crook! :D

Ali

Not if Bosh gets to appoint a couple of new ones. It really says something when two fo the mroe conservative members (rhenquist and O'Connor) won't step down b/c of political concerns. :)

Common trivia question is "What is the smallest country in the world?"

Answer = The Vatican City

Smallest in both size and population

They have a head of state, they have their own currency, they have clearly defined and recognised borders

Don’t think they issue passports though…

When your population is less than 1000, I am guessing the guy at the gate can remember faces. :)

Hmmm…there’s five people living in the house, including me, and I swear I’ve never seen some of them before. Those kid’s can’t possibly be all mine.

Quote (Bubbagump @ April 07 2005,12:13)
When your population is less than 1000, I am guessing the guy at the gate can remember faces. :)

I bet the dude had a tough time last week though! :D

TG