Flavio might take his time sometimes...

but he does deliver…

Hi !

This is from a post in my own archives (just went through some old files on my HDD and found this).

Hux (where did he go ?) started a topic on 7 October 2003 about midi drums, and this was what he said:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I can’t do MIDI. I’ve tried. Over and over again, it just doesn’t make sense to me. Patches, voices, wavetables, blahblahblahblah.

I just wanted a friggin drum track, ya know?

I wonder what are the odds that Flavio could incorporate a small simple drum machine using some freely available samples? Nothing fancy, just a snare, bass and some cymbals I guess, something that keeps me out of the MIDI settings if possible. Something like PC drummer mebbe, but actually integrated into N-track?

shrug. it would make me happy, anyways…lol

And there it is, folks…

Just thought you guys might find this funny…

Wihan

Hehe…

Hux went over to Collab Central. Got a feeling he’s not there anymore but I could be wrong ?????

Hi You Two:
Hux was a great insparation to me and these old computers I still have lay’in around here… Why is IT I can’t move on and outta this old junk I have around here?

For those of you that didn’t know, Hux was a Motorbike Hound… He posted some photos of the Bikes he had and then I think that was the end of him around this Board… Hux and Scott… I forget his “Handle” were instrumental in creating Artist Collaboration… Scott moved to one of the Dakotas from California… I think that’s where he setteled… After that, Hux posted saying that he was moving on, and into “Bloggin”… and that was the end of him around Audio Boards… Unless he changed his Handle…

Where do fine Minds like these with all their insight and organizational abilities find all this “Energy”?

Bill…

Woxnerw - speaking of moving on, how is the rebuild of your system coming along after Windows choked? Must have been pretty consuming, as you nearly dissapeared from the boards for a while.

T

Hi tspringer:
The rebuild began on Sunday around noontime… I began loading a new W/D 80 gig hard drive by formatting IT in the DOS domain… and loading my original '98SE disk… I got the modem up-and-running as soon as I could and then brought the DESK to “Current” with all the MicroSoft up-dates… then I got the AVG free virus utility up-and-current… Then I loaded all the hardware drivers except for the Lexicon CORE-32 Hardware… There are no issues in the Device Manager or anything that I can see… IT’s a pristene build… I loaded n-Track and have build 1822 running… IT’s the last build before NetFramwork is required… I loaded build 2037 and IT didn’t take… I loaded the BIG… build I don’t know the build… NO-GO… I un-installed IT and downloaded MicroSoft .NET revision 2… NO-GO… I loaded Installer v3.1 and the latest n-Track BIG build 2099 IT installed and worked… But I lost the Desk’s ability to Shut-Down… I’m at an Impass… The '98SE desk/build is at the same point as the previous Drive… This is now at a Two-Week search for a "98SE Desk for this P-4…

Mark A has been takeing a lot of Mail from me regarding this “Build”. I’m feeling pretty bad for abuseing him the way I am for this matter…

I’m looking at alturnatives…

I think I can get the Desk operating to … and… as … far as Pre-NetFrameWork… with n-Track… Unless I can find a way to get past the Desk shutting down with NetframeWork installed so I can load all the current n-Track builds…

Mark A believes and he is thinking IT’s a BIOS/Mainboard/Drivers/'98SE issue that’s not allowing the Combination to reside together…

I have no idea how and why all this worked on the ASUS P4T-E Mainboard/ P-4 combination before the Mainboard failed…

I’m running out of options and patience… There are a few items left on the list to try to see if IT’ll take hold and begin to work… But… after that It’ll all be so much tired IRON… in the studio… IT’s too bad… I thought IT worked pretty good till I had the Mainboard failure…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

The rebuild began on Sunday around noontime… I began loading a new W/D 80 gig hard drive by formatting IT in the DOS domain… and loading my original '98SE disk… I got the modem up-and-running as soon as I could and then brought the DESK to “Current” with all the MicroSoft up-dates… then I got the AVG free virus utility up-and-current… Then I loaded all the hardware drivers except for the Lexicon CORE-32 Hardware… There are no issues in the Device Manager or anything that I can see… IT’s a pristene build… I loaded n-Track and have build 1822 running… IT’s the last build before NetFramwork is required… I loaded build 2037 and IT didn’t take… I loaded the BIG… build I don’t know the build… NO-GO… I un-installed IT and downloaded MicroSoft .NET revision 2… NO-GO… I loaded Installer v3.1 and the latest n-Track BIG build 2099 IT installed and worked… But I lost the Desk’s ability to Shut-Down… I’m at an Impass… The '98SE desk/build is at the same point as the previous Drive… This is now at a Two-Week search for a "98SE Desk for this P-4…

Bill, something struck me as a read this; no firewall. I’m hoping I’m wrong and that you’ve just forgotten to mention it, but if not I can guarantee that you have been hit by a worm within minutes of being online. That may not be the cause of your problems but it certainly isn’t a good situation to be in.

There are several freebie firewalls around. I used Zone Alarm from zonelabs.com on most of my machines.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Mark A has been takeing a lot of Mail from me regarding this “Build”. I’m feeling pretty bad for abuseing him the way I am for this matter…

Ha! If that’s the best abuse you can come up with… try harder :) I’m thinking of John Cleese as the Black Knight in Python’s Holy Grail. As Cleese is having his arms and legs cut off by the Arthur he’s saying… “it’s just a flesh wound”…"you pansy"

Ok, you had to be there…

Holy Grail Scene 4

Mark

"What’re you gonna do, bleed on me ?"

One of my fav’s.

NI NI NI NI NI NI !

And ‘We are looking for a shrubbery’

Btw - I use MSN and I have ‘Encarta @ Conversagent’ as a contact (my handle is Bulb Fiction)

It is very cool, as you can ask it ‘normal’ questions and it comes up with anwers from Encarta.
Now us being propellerheads, we try stuff …

This is (true, try it yourelf) an answer from Encarta.
I love programmers’ sense of humour…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Bulb Fiction says:
What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow ?
Encarta® Instant Answers says:
Hi again, Bulb Fiction.
What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?

Aint that great ?

How about this ?

<!–QuoteBegin>
Bulb Fiction says:
What is the answer to life, the universe and everything ?
Forty-two.

How about this :

<!–QuoteBegin>
Bulb Fiction says: Are you stupid ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: No.
Bulb Fiction says: Are you clever ?

“Artificial intelligence” means different things to different people. Some consider Conversagent-powered interactive agents to demonstrate artificial intelligence. I like to think that they demonstrate the intelligence of the people who built the software platform and the scripters of the interactive agents themselves.

Bulb Fiction says: Am I stupid ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: I’m sorry… I hope you feel better soon.

Bulb Fiction says: What hardware do you run on ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: I prefer to keep What hardware I run on a mystery.

And the last bit of fun we had …

<!–QuoteBegin>
Bulb Fiction says: Do you think ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: Don’t order me around.

Bulb Fiction says: WHy not ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: Well, there are probably some issues.

Bulb Fiction says: Can you reboot, please ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: Why don’t you reboot?

Bulb Fiction says: Are you religious ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: I leave it to humans to consider religious questions, I am only a robot.

Bulb Fiction says: Do you live by the 3 laws ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: I sometimes live by the 3 laws

Bulb Fiction says: Knock knock

Encarta® Instant Answers says: Who’s there?

Bulb Fiction says: Arch

Encarta® Instant Answers says: Arch who?

Bulb Fiction says: bless you !

Encarta® Instant Answers says: Bless you . Ha ha ha. Great. You’re funny.

Bulb Fiction says: What do you think of Microsoft ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: I really like Microsoft. I’m a little bored. Why don’t you ask me questions I could try to look up in Encarta? :slight_smile: I am very good at math. If you have trouble with quadratic equations, I can help you with them. Type “solve x^2+3x=10” and I’ll show you how to do it.

Bulb Fiction says: Are you still bored ?

Encarta® Instant Answers says: No way. I love this. My mission is to give information to as many people as I can.

Bulb Fiction says: You are good at maths

Encarta® Instant Answers says: I feel comfortable being good at maths.

Bulb Fiction says: I don’t like machines

Encarta® Instant Answers says: I see. You don’t like machines? I’ll remember that.

Bulb Fiction says: Sorry

Encarta® Instant Answers says: OK. I’ll forgive you this time…

:D :D :D :D

Hi Wihan Stemmet and Mark A, and Everyone:
I looked forward to seeing John Cleese on the tube. every week… Was IT called (something)… Manor?? That guy has one of the best creative minds to comedy that is going. However, I don’t think the CBC is carring any of his productions anymore. They are carrying Coronation Street, instead… Mabey, he has moved on from that type of comedy format… Does anyone know the show, Mr. Bean? and Roan Atkinson?? I think that’s how his name is spelt… Anyway, there are some good “Skitts” going on , there… as well…

Wihan… I’ll try try your links sometime and see how IT hits, on me.

I only wish I had a Hi-Speed connection here… Someone posted a 23meg.+ video file with a link to IT… I’d like to see it… but It would take me all day to download IT… Well…

You’re so right Mark… I got hit with a Virus and worm as I was downloading MicroSoft updates from their site… AVG picked them up as -far-as-I-Know… they are in the So-Called Vault… I’m not on the P-4 '98SE desk… I’d name them, but I am unable to remember exactly what they are from memory. I’ll boot the P-4 right now and tell you what they were and where and what folders they “Hit ON”. But… If I remember correctly, I had got them removed before I ran into the issue that brought this build down… Who knows, though… It may have been too late by then…

The virus was Win 32/Parite The path was

C:\Windows\Start menuprograms\startup\Internat.exe

The worm was

worm/Agobot.BLG

It ended up in three drives before IT got found and removed… to the vault.

E:\Fag.EXE
G:\Fag.EXE
H:\Fag.EXE

It didn’t get discoverd till I downloaded the AVG updates… and … did a scan of the drives… That was after I updated Microsoft … Mabey in retrospect… I should have updated AVG. first… ?? Well… I have learned a lesson… I think…

Am I correct in saying this… XP has a built-in firewall… But '98SE has none… ??

I hope you can see… I’m trying to take something “GOOD and Positive” from ALL This… I’m trying my hardest at “Learning these Lessons”…

I have this feeling that this '98SE build is far from being Pristene…

I’m standing in the corner and and asking for directions… at the same time…

Bill…

Fawlty Towers …

<!–QuoteBegin>

They are carrying Coronation Street, instead… Mabey, he has moved on from that type of comedy format… Does anyone know the show, Mr. Bean? and Roan Atkinson?? I think that’s how his name is spelt… Anyway, there are some good “Skitts” going on , there… as well…

Well Bill, I apologise for subjecting your country to Corrie, but Yes, Mr Bean is very funny.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Am I correct in saying this… XP has a built-in firewall… But '98SE has none… ??

That’s correct Bill. WinXP SP2 has a firewall.

Mark

Wox - Man am I sorry to see you have to go through so much trouble. I feel your pain.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I loaded Installer v3.1 and the latest n-Track BIG build 2099 IT installed and worked… But I lost the Desk’s ability to Shut-Down…

Well, if the only problem is that you can’t get windows 98 to shut down after youve installed Microsoft .NET, I’d declare victory and start making music. When you tell Windows to shut down, just wait till all disk activity stops and turn the machine off. It won’t damage your hard drives directory structure or your files at all. The only down side is that you have to wait for the cleanup functions to run every time you reboot. Failure to shut down is not at all rare on Windows 98 machines, and lots of us lived with it for years. I don’t think it is likely to have caused the problems you had on your initial rebuild. Just make sure that you’ve got that firewall up and running. Or maybe I missed part of the complications that you are experiencing

About Mr. Bean - IMO one of the funniest sequences in comedy is his ‘Have you put the turkey on?’ skit. If you’ve never seen it you’re missing a good laugh. Probably a good thing to do experience after a day laboring over an uncooperative computer.

T

A good laugh is universal… World-Wide… In my opinion… that is… It can come from any nationality… But British Comedy has something that’s difficult to put your finger on. I’m sure a lot of IT blows right by you if your not British… Same with American or Canadian Comedy… or any place in the world… I think British Comedy is not as risque as stuff from other parts of the world. Corrie Street… as you call it has been pre-empted by the Stanley Cup… But you can see 2 1/2 - 3 hours of IT on Sunday morning if you are a follower of IT… The Americians call them the Day-time Soaps… and they have their share of SOAPS… However, good comedy can come from any part of the world… AND I like some of the stuff Mr. Bean does regarding the use of his little Mini-Minor…

You’re right Wihan… Faulty Towers… :O :laugh: IT was amongest the best comedy I know of…

MicroSoft posted an XP utility called HiveCleanup Utility… I think if it could work on a '98SE Desk that just might do the trick… I tried installing IT on the '98SE build but a file or .dll or something is missing in the Windows Folder to complete the install… I’m running this HiveCleanup Utility on this XP Desk I have… IT closes opened applications that keeps the XP Desk from shutting down.

Is there a way I can replace the icons in the Device Manager with working icons?

Bill…

Wox – Have you tried clicking on ‘scan for hardware changes’ on the menu bar of the device manager?

When I open the Device Manager I am unable to see ‘scan for hardware changes’… Nothing works after the Device Manager screen appears…

By-the-Way… I did a scan for corrupt files and found several windows files/.dll’s that were corrupt… But IT didn’t fix the issue…

I’d be “OFF -and-Running” if I could find a way to open Add/Remove Programs.

I think tomorrow I’ll make the Big Decission and DOS Format the drive and start over again…

I’ve never “Ghost” a Drive before… But I’d consider “Ghosting” the drive after getting IT loaded with the Desk… Then Ghosting the drive after each software addition till I can install the Lexicon CORE-32 Hardware… to a point where I have a “Clean Install” of all the parts needed to have a working DAW… with the CORE-32 Hardware and the ability to install the Latest n-Track builds as Flavio posts them…

I think IT’s important to have a DESK with a working Device Manager… and the ability to shut the DESK/computer OFF…

Could someone “Walk” me through “Ghosting” a Drive with an Operating System? I have Partition Magic… If there is something better and easier to use. Point me to a link…

Bill…

The only other thing to consider is… Dumping the CORE-32 Hardware and investing in some Multi-Track Hardware that works and is compliant with an XP Desk…

IT should be 8-Track minium…

Wox - try the suggestions for repairing/reinstalling the device manager that you find at

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng…824.asp

If that doesn’t work and you are willing to try taking a stab a editing the Windows registry, try the fixes given at

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm,

Do tweak #107 - Restore Device Manager and #255 Restore Group Policy Snap-In.

I try to avoid mucking around in the registry myself, but if you are going to restart your Windows install yet again, you’ve got nothing to lose, and you might just get up and running.

Hi tspringer:
These are fastenating links. Thanks for posting them up here. I’m gonna take a good hard look at these pages… before I pull the plug on this build… However, these pages are for XP desk repairs. Does IT matter if these repairs are for XP instead of "98SE?

You see… IT’s a "98SE desk-and-issues, that I’m working with…

I do have some SP revision 1 and SP revision 2 files installed on this '98SE desk… I need these files/.dlls to load .NET applactions on '98SE… I’m just unsure exactlly which of these files/dills I need… This ASUS Mainboard is somewhat different that the faulty one IT replaces… The faulty board was an ASUS P4T-E board… This Board I’m replacing IT with is an ASUS P4P800-SE Board.

I believe what Mark A is saying is… The chipset on this replacment board is why these issues have appeared… AND have left the installation of '98SE unable to be installed… as IT was on the failed Mainboard…

You’re right… I have nothing to loose but a Day-or-So to play around with the Registry to see if these issues can be “Fixed”…

I’m almost ready to replace this non-working registry with the only working registry on the other P-111 '98SE Desk… I have nothing to loose… in any regard… I’m grasping at straws… I think… To do that… I think I have to be able to navigate in DOS… though… I’m not so sure I can handle that…

I just tried to open the second link… again… IT opened perfectly just a while ago… IT gives an error 404 now… Strange…

Bill…

Hi wox - Sorry… I knew you were doing a 98 install. But somehow I got the idea that you had moved on to XP.

I think that the first link that I gave you will work for Win98 SE too. The registry stuff discussed in the second link won’t work for you.

T