Flavio, please change something about n-track

The VST pre-loader is driving me nuts!

Flavio,

Every single time I want to load a VSTi Instrument, n-track has to do a pre-scan (or something like that) - and it takes forever with all of my large sample collections and virtual instruments that I like to use.

Is there any way to have n-track scan foir vst synths and effects once and only once - and then simply have a list to choose from? I have so many other programs that do this (FL Studio 5, for example) - why does n-track have to do this? It’s annoying and frustrating. I can wait literally minutes PER TRACK for this.

Thanks,

Mike

I’m at work at the moment so can’t verify but I’m pretty sure that when I load an effect or a virtual instrument it only scans for plugins once and then any other time I want to load an effect or virtual instrument it deosn’t scan again (unless I’ve restarted n-Track).

It only does a scan once per n-Track session for me…
Takes a while the first time you right click in the effects window or go to load a VSTi/DXi, but then any subsequent times the effects list or instrument list pops up straight away…

Maybe it’s a setting in the preferences??

Yes, mine works like Richlum’s. Only one full scan per session. From that point, just right-click anywhere on the time-line to bring up an effects dialog.

Don

Quote (Karmacomposer @ Oct. 23 2005,15:53)
Flavio,

Every single time I want to load a VSTi Instrument, n-track has to do a pre-scan (or something like that) - and it takes forever with all of my large sample collections and virtual instruments that I like to use.

Is there any way to have n-track scan foir vst synths and effects once and only once - and then simply have a list to choose from? I have so many other programs that do this (FL Studio 5, for example) - why does n-track have to do this? It's annoying and frustrating. I can wait literally minutes PER TRACK for this.

Thanks,

Mike

What version of the program are you using?
At least in the latest versions the program scans each vst plug-ins only once, the first time it finds the plug-in dll. When the program is closed and reopened it uses cached info about plug-ins that were previously scanned.

Flavio.

I just updated to the newest version and every time I add a vsti track it scans for all plugins in my steinberg folder.

It does this EVERY TIME I even click on the track. It is so annoying. (I am talking about the little silver bar at the bottom that serves as a progress bar).

By the way, why the heck should it even scan once per n track session? Not one of my other programs do this!! Once is all it takes. If you add new effects and synths, then there should be a menu choice to do a “scan”.

I run n-track a lot and many times will come back to a project. I tend to shut down n-track because here in florida we get a lot of thunderstorms (and lately hurricanes) - so to avoid a system crash and losing valuable song data, I turn off my computers or at least shut the programs down so that they are saved and not active.

So you can see why this is bugging me so much - and it really shuts down my creative juices, so to speak, with all that waiting.

Mike

Flavio,

I will run n-track tonight and write down how and when it pre-loads vsts and then will put the results in this forum topic.

Thanks, I only want to see n-track get better and better!!!

Mike

How are you logged onto Windows? If n-Tracks can’t write out the cache file it will be forced to rescan every time.

It needs to write out to C:\Documents and Settings[yourloginname]\Application Data
-Track Studio
to be able to save this data…I think. That’s where the vst data is stored. I’m not sure the vst instrument data is in there with the vst plug-ins.

Anyway, it’s a thought.