For Us Guitar Pickers and Grinners

getting the best playback sound

For Us that do a little picken and singing…What Is your favourite set up with your effects,Stereo or mono on a track?
…a little reverb or compression?..There are so many variable with N Track…Please tell me what you do to get that nice stereo playback sound from your finished CD

I’m a one man band :D

Thanks…Daner

My boss, Zay Yazzerinski, told me I had to quit giving his secrets, so I can’t say. :p

You don’t have to give me all the secrets…How about just 4 :)

I’m on a roll now…I made a CD yesterday with 5 songs on It…for some reason One song sounded real good…The others are not that great

Poppa W has many secrets on his recordings, he’s very crafty! :agree:

I use simple set ups, mic to an amp, all effects after the recording (with the exception of Talk Box or Wah pedals). Compression only if the song needs it. And then it takes me about 20 or 30 listens to realize “hey I don’t need that there”, or “yuck that geetar is all over the place”.

But then again my recordings suck so I don’t know why I’m posting my “secrets”. :laugh:

LOL… I just plug my guitar Into my Yamaha mw12 mixer…and I use a condenser mic that also gets pluged into the mixer…the guitar part always sounds nice a bright…Its the mike part that I need to get good sound from.

I also use the mic for my fiddle… <------------- thats that part that I need the help ,on to get a clean sound

For acoustic guitar I use 2-SM57s. 1 at the 12th fret, 1 just behind the bridge slightly towards the lower bout. Mics about 6-7 inches from guitar. Panned hard left and right. Left eq usually flat with a DBX compressor at about 3:1 with slight gate. Right with slight boost to uppers in eq no compression no gate. Will ad reverb at times via Behringer Virtualizer Pro through mixer send/return. Record 2 mono tracks, mix to get sound I am looking for. Have also thrown in a condenser mic between the 57s, 3-4 feet back slightly above sound hole level.

Amps…direct/DI, miced, name it. Whatever it takes to find the sound thats in my head.

There are no secrets…just lots of trial and error, and HARD WORK!!

Duff

What Is a Talk box?
I have been recording everything In stereo…should I try the Mono?

HOld on - HOLD ON! did I hear

Quote:

I also use the mic for my fiddle
? ?

Trade you 2 secrets for a fiddle part!
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 16 2008, 9:49 AM)

HOld on - HOLD ON! did I hear
Quote:

I also use the mic for my fiddle
? ?

Trade you 2 secrets for a fiddle part!

LOL...i'M not a real pro fiddler ...but any way I can help you out I will

I just tried a hank jr tune...Old Habits...I set My riggens on mono panned my mic hard right and the Guitar hard left...It sounds like the geetar and the mic are coming out of both speakers...yikkes what am I doing wrong...I want the mike to come through the right and the Git box to run through the left speaker...Tip Tip Tips :D

I use no amps ,just amplified Behringer studio speakers

Willis maybe you can send me your song and I will try to figure out how to add the part In for you on the fiddle

Gotta do my ‘chores’ then I will. I’ll have to teach you how to use n-Track though it sounds like. :agree:

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 16 2008, 12:02 PM)

Gotta do my 'chores' then I will. I'll have to teach you how to use n-Track though it sounds like. :agree:

Yup Yup... :D Yeee haahh

I got some chores to do to before the snow comes again

Thanks Tom

So Daner - I’ll get an mp3 of the melody line for fiddle - you think you can do something let me know - if not I’ll keep my secrets! I’ll send it later to you.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Dec. 16 2008, 2:22 PM)

So Daner - I'll get an mp3 of the melody line for fiddle - you think you can do something let me know - if not I'll keep my secrets! I'll send it later to you.

Ok Will Do...You can email It to me when your ready

Daner
Bear Country
Northern Ontario

Hey Daner - I sent you a Private Message - check your messenger - your email is set to private.
I sent a link to my arkansas rough - let me know if I need to email it.
Play around with it - it’s pretty obvious for a fiddle part - old Ozark hill music style with a new age sub-terrainian jazz/rock ensemble and country&western blues group bubblegum pop feel. Pretty straight forward. :p

What the heck it’s only a rough.

Tom I changed the email settings,to receive

Daner

Good Tune Tommy…I just listened to It…I can load the song right from here to N Track…Give me some time…I’m going to be gone for a bit we have some good snow storms headed our way,And I’m In the snow biz.

You can email me any details IE a fiddle break between a certain time mark…or just back ground fiddle…Hey you sound a bit like me…we both have that Kris Kristofferson low voice…cheers bud and merry Christmass to yaa

Danererzzzzzzz

Quote: (Daner @ Dec. 16 2008, 10:17 AM)

? ?

I just tried a hank jr tune...Old Habits...I set My riggens on mono panned my mic hard right and the Guitar hard left...It sounds like the geetar and the mic are coming out of both speakers...yikkes what am I doing wrong...I want the mike to come through the right and the Git box to run through the left speaker...Tip Tip Tips :D

I use no amps ,just amplified Behringer studio speakers

Don't forget that n plays back with all tracks panned to center by default; you may just need to move the pan sliders left and right to separate the two tracks to individual speakers.

'til next time;
tony w