Four part harmonies.

Doodling with some harmonies for a tooon and trying to get a kind of Jeff Lynne, Donald Fagan, squeezed through the eye of a needle, with cream on top and zingy compressed ‘air’ all around kind of feel.
It’s not happenin’!
Ok - the ability to sing would be a good start - and a great mic - and…
I’ll post a sample when I get it half right.
Any thoughts?

That’s quite a task your taking on…
:)
There’s no rule-of-thumb …
to follow… nothing hammered-in-stone, either…
WELL…

I think ?
getting voices into sync ?
comes from years of practice… finding the right place grouped around a mic… or…
placing the mic in the “sweet spot”…
If it’s one voice doing all the parts…
then that kindda throws that all out the window…
We all know it, when we hear a good harmony line…
Don’t forget…
How can a harmony line, be bad ????

Bill…

Cheers, Bill. Yeah, it’s just me, on this one. I’m quite used to doing harmonies but I’m struggling to get the feel right. I’ll go and continue knocking a wall down for a few hours and come back with clean ears.

I’m being smart…

Try not the bruise/stress your vocal cords while you’re tearing down that wall…
That might be hard on the pitching of your tracks…
:laugh:

A suggestion…

Have you thought about or considered a vocal arrangement, where-by-as, you don’t sing every word-or-line by all the harmony parts ????

Some words and phrasings don’t like to be sung-or-harmonized…
Well, not all the time, in some songs…

Bill…

I found this video link that demonstrates 2-and-3 parts harmonies…
The pitch of the vocal parts are so accurate…

I’d like to know how long they worked on these Vocal Parts to get them to sound the way they do ????

I don’t think it’s your kind of music, but I had to post a link to the song…

Bill…

So, post it so we can comment! :)

TomS is gettin antsy…
:p
:laugh:

Most times the timbre of the harmony lines sung by the same voice is complementary…

Bill…

You’re not wrong, Bill. And as you mentioned earlier, intersesting with close harmonies, as, if and when the melody dictates, the harmonies have to break ranks and the search is on for new ones.

Here is one that I did a few years ago. It is only three part harmony but if I was to add a fourth part, I would take the highest parts and duplicate it one octave down. A lot of times if someone is singing the 1 and 3 notes, the 5th notes of a major (or minor) chord will be added below the 1 notes.

Here is the ending of the song I did a capello. I sang all the parts which I think makes blending of the vocals very easy. It is an older country song by John Conlee.

http://www.keithredingband.com/RoseColoredGlassesACapello.mp3

Keith

Hi Keith Reding Band:

Thanks for the capello link…
Those lines work well, together…
In many cases, the tracks,other than the melody line, when played separately, might sound like they don’t fit anywhere…

Bill…

One thing I’ve found is when a hard consonant such as a T ends the vocal line just let the melody voice do it and leave it off or attenuate it on the others, then you don’t get a line ending i T ttttttttt!