freeware audio capture with firepod?

Hi all,

I’ve got a Presonus Firepod and I thought it would be very handy if I could find a freeware program that would let me capture the multitrack streams to seperate files while I’m on location. I could then take these files back to my studio and bring them into ntrack for editing. I don’t have a laptop, but I can borrow one from time to time, which is why I’m interested in freeware. I’ve tried Audacity, but it doesn’t seem to be able to record more than 2 tracks at a time. I also tried Kristal Audio Engine, but it can’t split the firepod’s stereo streams. So I can only record 4 tracks. So, either I need to find a better program or I need to find a way to make the firepod show up as 8 channels instead of 4 stereo pairs.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Presonus packages cuBase LE (light edition) with Firepod, Firebox, and Inspire. Not sure how long they’ve ben doing this.

Maybe you could butter them up for a copy if it’s not a second hand unit and heck if it is maybe you could still swing a deal.

Yeah, I spose that’s an option, I do have that disc. To tell the truth, I never installed it. I was hoping for a solution that was a bit lighter if possible.

I’ve dabbled with it a bit. I’m still hooked on nTrack. Direct to pc recording is similar to nTrack. Not really overly complicated but I never got in to assigning anymore than 1 I/O with it.

EDIT
You mentioned spitting the 4 stereo pairs down to 8 monos. Can’t your software mixer so this?? I have the firebox and the mixer has a little button that lets you link monos for stereo pairs.

Thanks for the input. Let me clarify a little. I really like ntrack and do not intend to switch from it any time soon. Also, I have no problems recording within ntrack.
What I’m looking for is a way to be a bit more portable with my recordings; capturing to multiple wave files for mixing later.
The part about splitting the 4 stereo streams was in reference to Kristal AE. It’s mixer was able to see only the 4 pairs (and those pairs were summed to one mono track). If I could make that program see 8 mono inputs instead of 4 stereo ones, I would have my answer. Kristal was just one lead I was pursuing and that’s where it dead-ended.

Y’know, if I knew anybody who could code, I’d ask them to write a program for this purpose.
Small file ~2MB installer
some analog meters (one for each channel)
8 (at least for my purposes) simultaneous inputs
records direct to 8 wave files
ASIO compatible

oh well…dream on