freezes on startup!

can’t get into prog

help!i moved my computer to another room.shortly thereafter n froze up.i tried everything-finally used system recovery(Compac)brought everything back up,reloaded n-still freezes on startup!each time i attempt to open n,2logos open on the tool bar(N)2 progs?all other progs work.i used current(today)download and build on XP.it’s been running great for a long time-any ideas??
thanks!

Eyup!

Quite often this kind of problem is caused by bad plugins, corrupted drivers, or config files.
Look in your NTrack folder and rename the vstdat.dat file
When you next open NTrack it will rescan all of your plugins and recreate the file. This may or may not be the problem, but it’s always the first thing I try when faced with this kind of problem. Also, if you have NTrack configured to reload the last song at startup you may need to rename the ntrack2.cfg file, just in case something is corrupt in the .sng file N is trying to load.

Steve

When you re-installed N did you reset your preferences the first time it ran or did you keep the existing ones?

Sometimes when things seem to go pear shaped for no particular reason reseting the preferences will fix things up.
You’ll then just need to go through and reconfigure them all for your setup.

Rich

thanks,guys…
but Steve, i can’t find a file by that name-and Rich,i can’t get in the prog,it comes up frozen…any ideas?..thanks

if you re-install, the first time you run it it should ask if you want to keep you old preferences or use the default ones.
Us ehte default ones.

this will be before it actually launches teh program I think…

Rich

Which version on n-Tracks are you using? That matters when looking for the config file.

i’m using today’s download and build-i tried an earlier v i had,same…tried both prior config and default “yes” and “no”-same thing comes up frozen
thanks

<!–QuoteBegin>

but Steve, i can’t find a file by that name-and Rich,i can’t get in the prog,it comes up frozen…any ideas?..thanks

There’s a slight typo in Beefy Steve’s post. The file is called “n-track2.cfg”. Do a search on your drive for it - as Phoo says it’s in different places on different builds.

i found"n-track2.cfg"renamed it “config,”-nothing.stillcan’t find "vstdat.dat
thanks

Which version on n-Tracks are you using? That matters whether or not there IS a vstdat.dat.

i’m using version 4.0.5 build 1846,although i tried an earlier version with the same results…thanx,phoo!

"i moved my computer to another room.shortly thereafter n froze up"

Have you tried reseating your RAM strips and cards???

(Things happening after a move can sometimes happen from stuff not QUITE making contact…)

-checked it,seems good,allother progs work

thanks, Tim

Got It!!!Thanks for all the help y’all…i went to 4.1,up and running
b