Freezing and unfreezing the tracks

• some explations needed

Ok, now we have this great new thing called freezing in N-track. Just to know if I’ve figured it out correctly, i’d like to know:

What actually happens if I freeze some tracks?

Does N-track make a mix (with effects and stuff) of the frozen tracks and handles it as a single stereo track form that point on until I unfreeze them?

And after that the processor won’t spend it’s power to calculate the tracks and effects, but only the freezed track (and the ones I leave unfrozen)?

When I unfreeze the tracks do I get to the same situation I was before freezing? (except there’s new tracks I may have recorded)

Any traps in the procedure?

Thanks!

Here are my answers according to my own understanding and somewhat limited experience in using the Track Freeze feature:

Quote (varakeef @ June 08 2005,12:46)
Does N-track make a mix (with effects and stuff) of the frozen tracks and handles it as a single stereo track form that point on until I unfreeze them?

Yes, it does a mixdown of the track into a temporary “freeze” file and uses that during playback instead of the original audio + real-time effects.
And after that the processor won’t spend it’s power to calculate the tracks and effects, but only the freezed track (and the ones I leave unfrozen)?

If I’m understanding you here, then yes–after freezing a track, n-Track disables the real-time effects for that track, but still calculates real-time effects for non-frozen tracks.
When I unfreeze the tracks do I get to the same situation I was before freezing? (except there’s new tracks I may have recorded)

Yes, n-Track switches the real-time effects back on and uses the original audio instead of the temporary freeze file.
Any traps in the procedure?

Hmmm…not that I know of, although I haven’t really explored it in much depth (e.g., Aux freezing, etc). Maybe if you play with it you’ll find some! :D

Tony

Thanks, mate. Time to start using it.

So I’m guessing this will help us take a load off the CPU, instead of muting the track?

Eeeeexcellent…

It seems to me like it makes one freezed track out of each track - not one single freezed mix of the whole bunch of freezed tracks.

I would have liked that more. As I use effects quite moderately I don’t seem to save that much CPU power by freezing.

You might look into freezing Groups, i.e., sending several tracks to a group, then freezing the group channel. I see it makes a single freeze file for all the tracks sent to the group, but it looks like you have to mute the individual tracks to realize the full potential of the CPU usage reduction. Something worth exploring…

Tony

I don’t really have a clue what you guys are talking about, but for whatever reason, I thought of this rather off topic question after reading your posts. Could somebody explain to me about recording multilple wav files on one track? I can’t seem to figure it out. If you over lap one with another, will it play both at the same time, or will the second cut out the first one? Would it be better to keep everything in separate tracks or to mix similar tracks together? Thanks.

They call it multi track recording for a reason. Use your tracks.

I’m not sure if it is a single common freeze wav file that is produced or one for each frozen track. It’s been awhile since I played with this, but iirc, I wasn’t able to change the volume of a frozen track. If there was a separate wav produced for each track I would think the track effects would be applied but you would still be able to change the level in the mixer.

There is a separate wav for each track. However, if you freeze a group and a djust a track in the group, you will have to unfreeze, and refreeze to hear the difference.

I thought I would reply to this string because I think the info here is important for those who are new to N, and I just started a string about this subject.

This definitely takes a load off the CPU. I freeze all the tracks with plugins(reverb, stereoizing, compression, delay, etc.) and let the CPU concentrate on playback and the plug’s in the master channel. I limit the plug’s in the Master Channel to Limiting, EQ, and overall Compression. I’m really starting to see a difference in the sound I’m getting and the behavior of the program.

More of my 2 cents worth.

Jeff

Funny how when you use all the gears on the car you get better mileage on the freeway. :)