freezing probs

offset?

hi,
if i freeze a track with plugins that add latency the frozen track is offset. PDC is ON.
anybody the same prob?

Sorry not much help here,
I don’t think my version even has that option.2.3
I am curious though, what advantage freezing actually has.
I’ve been recording with this program for 7 years, now I’m up to 32 tracks at once with effects, and haven’t had a problem.
So what more is to be gained with this freezing option? Can I get more bang for my buck?
Convince me to upgrage sir,
You have the floor.

jerm

hi jerm,
i use freezing for i.e. bassguitar.
BASS->Tubepre->Ntrack->good EQ plug->good comp plug->amp sim->convolution plug for speaker sim->eq
that uses a LOT of cpu so freezing is usefull here…

Quote (jeremysdemo @ Dec. 18 2005,09:44)
I don't think my version even has that option.2.3
I am curious though, what advantage freezing actually has.
I've been recording with this program for 7 years, now I'm up to 32 tracks at once with effects, and haven't had a problem.

"Freezing" a track actually mixes down the track and all applied FX and EQ to a new .wav file so that your computer does not have to process the FX, thereby taking the load off of your CPU. You may "Un-Freeze" the track, which will delete the mixdown wav and go back to the original wav.

Of course, the same thing can be done manually in your version 2.3...

If 2.3 works for you, stay there! I've given up on even trying the latest builds; it seems that every time a new feature is added something else breaks.

:cool:

usually when N-track starts glitching, resetting the default preferences almost always fixes it…

Quote (guitars69 @ Dec. 18 2005,11:22)
usually when N-track starts glitching, resetting the default preferences almost always fixes it...

Not this one... I have the same problem as the OP - if I mix down (or freeze) a single track while I have SIR active in an AUX channel , the resulting track is offset a few milliseconds from the original. I'm guessing that jotb is having the same thing happen with another plug-in.

yep i had the same problem that the original poster describes with SIR. Just bypass the effect when you render/freeze the track, which works fine as long as you’re not trying to render the reverb from SIR into a track…

Quote (TelevisionFission @ Dec. 19 2005,10:13)
Just bypass the effect when you render/freeze the track, which works fine as long as you're not trying to render the reverb from SIR into a track...

Exactly... But... If it won't work with one of the most CPU intensive plugs it kinda limits the usefullness of the freeze function, don't ya think?

Anybody put in a bug report to Flavio? This used to work perfectly on my system…

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

hi,
if i freeze a track with plugins that add latency the frozen track is offset. PDC is ON.
anybody the same prob?

No, tracks with latency plugins freeze ok here (v4.1.5 b2003).
But the zoom-level of the timeline window mysteriously changes a little bit, when freezing a track that has a latency-adding effect.
That is a little odd and it certainly gives the impression of changing offset.
Although the track offset doesn’t really change as far as I can see here, this isn’t reassuring at all!

I remember this being a problem with sir before. is sir in an aux? or is it on the track itself?

Quote (guitars69 @ Dec. 19 2005,13:52)
I remember this being a problem with sir before. is sir in an aux? or is it on the track itself?

Confession -- I'm not using the most current build, so it may have been fixed already...

I can reproduce the problem when I use SIR in one of the AUX channels. I have not verified the problem occuring with SIR on the track only. I'll try it tonight...

Test results using V4.0.5 b1846

New project, 1 wav file containing recording of a click track that lines up to nTrack’s grid.

Manual mixdown of single track:

-SIR on aux channel
–“Compensate plugin latency” off --> resulting file matched original
–“Compensate plugin latency” on --> resulting wav file was several milliseconds behind original

SIR on track channel
–“Compensate plugin latency” off --> resulting wav file was several milliseconds behind original
–“Compensate plugin latency” on --> resulting wav file was several milliseconds behind original

SIR on both track and aux channels
–“Compensate plugin latency” off --> resulting wav file was several milliseconds behind original
–“Compensate plugin latency” on --> resulting wav file was twice as far off other bad ones!

Now here’s the odd thing… the “freeze” function worked fine either way. Go figure.

yeah, see thats the thing with SIR… At least for me, its usually the last step in a mix. If I put the reverb on an aux channel and if I have to freeze a track with EQ, compression, or whatever… Just turn the effect “off”, render the file, then turn the reverb back on. its easy to work-around so it hasn’t bothered me too much.

o.k. but tihs workarounf does not work if i use sir on an channel insert…
i wrote flavio an email a week ago, but never got a response…