Frets?

A question for the axe-men. A luthier friend is rebuilding another friend’s old Harmony semi bass. The question of fret gauge has come-up as the originals are funked. As the string can only begin to move at the edge point of the fret, I’m failing to appreciate fret width. (friend A is ‘special’ so it’s easier to ask you guys;-)

Got me. Just thought I’d mention that. I am so helpful.

Heavier fret gauge = longevity, apparently.

Makes sense.

But would it also not make sense to put back what was already there?

Just thinking…

Quote: (Mark A @ Aug. 03 2011, 5:39 PM)

Makes sense.

But would it also not make sense to put back what was already there?

Just thinking....

Yes, Mark. He just wanted to give him the option, as they need replacing. It's a lovely old guitar that was literally rescued from a tip 35 yrs ago and given to me by the guy who restored it. Shortly after, I past it on to a mate who I gigged with or ten years, who I then lost touch with or 19yrs.................

Wouldn’t heavier frets also mean more pitch variation when you press down on the string? Seems to my uneducated head that the lowest frets possible would be key - or, really, that the height of the frets should relate to the spacing of them. I’d go with manufacturer’s specs.

I haven’t looked, but I wonder if there are any enthusiast sites out there for Harmony guitars. They may be great folks to ask about this. I know there’s a forum for Shergold guitars for example.

Hi guys the luthier friend isn’t in need of advice http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co.uk/ I just wanted to understand without asking him more stupid questions.
It isn’t just the height of the fret but the overall gauge. I think the owner has decided on original spec. Hope to get some photos up asap.

The idea behind bigger frets is your strings are easier to bend as you have less finger tip in contact with the wood of the fret board. The same thinking behind a scalloped fret board.

More fret, more times to level & recrown before replacement. Also if you have ever looked at the frets on a guitar that is custom setup many times you will see the crown on some frets is not dead center but slightly to one side or the other. More fret, easier to move crown.

Duff

Quote: (TonyR @ Aug. 04 2011, 3:26 AM)

Hi guys the luthier friend isn't in need of advice http://www.kevinchilcott-luthier.co.uk/ I just wanted to understand without asking him more stupid questions.
It isn't just the height of the fret but the overall gauge. I think the owner has decided on original spec. Hope to get some photos up asap.

Well, I did say that I know nothing about this sort of thing. :D But I have learned something here! :agree:

Hi TonyR:

Here’s a Photo Link to a Harmony H-22 Bass that my friend Bob Has…
We did a “Wiring” update to it some time ago…
Then, I didn’t pay much attention to the neck-and-fret work that is on it…
What I seem to remember about the neck is, the frets are somewhat narrow or not Flattened and Hi-Crowned…

Harmony H-22 Bass

Here’s a photo of what the Bass looks like… as we were replacing the Pots and All

100_0516

Does your Bass look anything like this one ????

Bill…

Fret? FRET?!?!?

No need to fret. Reaper 4.0 is available now. :p

KW

PS Sorry… couldn’t resist…

As Duff rightly says, some guys (Stan.“and women”) like the glide on a broader fret.

Bill. That looks a beaut’. What condition are the bridge adjusters in?
I’m not certain of the model details of the one I know and it had already been stripped of paint-work before I met it but it’s nicely finished over a surprisingly nice blonde grain.
I’ll hopefully have some snaps and details asap.

cool guitars,

I did some research on Harmony guitars a few years back (was looking looking at one of the acoustics with the removable bridge) some interesting things about the makers history and such were gleamed… :)

oddly enough bill that one was being sold form one of your neighbors up there in the Big C seems a lot of studios have closed down.

what I did learn is these were really low level entry level guitars but yet had much fan fare from a few semi-famous people and no doubt are better made than some expensive named guitars you would find made from china today, but give them a couple of years to catch up to the Japaneses in that regard…tee hee :p

I recently got a quote for a refretting of vintage Takamine was quoted around 150, I don’t know if that is good or not but I trust the guy doing the work so I wouldn’t take a better price for less confidence.

dontcare :cool:

We’ve got the documentation on this Bass somewhere…
Seems to me it’s a '64 vintage…
If I remember correctly, this one was owned-and-used by the Bass Player with the Stampeders
I think his name is Ronnie Dunn or is it Kim, the Bass Player…
????
Bob is all over the country with these guys and is their Stage Manager on many of their Concert Series Stages-and-Tours…

As I remember, the Bridge Saddle is the original one and it’s fine and it fits the Arched top of the guitar just fine…

As some of you might remember, I was very close to getting an Ibeanez < spelling…

Acoustic/Electric Bass, the other year…
I still might aquire it, however, It’s tough to justify owning it… A Vintage/Antique Instrument, in good condition, would be a better choice…

Bill…

edit Yea… Jerm… Studios over here are falling like trees… The economy is hurtting real bad, these days… The distribution of recorded music is not like it was back in the early '90’s. The Internet has changed how music is bought-and-sold…

This Bob Guy is quite the Lad… He’s a walking Music/Instrument Store… Look at the Photo Albums over on my photo blog… Bass Buying Saturday, is a good one… I’ve got some photos of some of the instruments he owns… Seems they all have some story behind them…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Aug. 05 2011, 5:59 AM)

Yea..
Jerm..
Studios over here are falling like trees..
The economy is hurtting real bad, these days..
The distribution of recorded music is not like it was back in the early '90's.
The Internet has changed how music is bought-and-sold..

well what is unfortunate for them has been rather beneficial to me,
been picking up a lot of hardware for pennies on the dollar with a little extra shipping on top, so times prices so low I feel sorry for them! :heart-break:

dontcare :cool:

Whan is this global economy gonna level out, Gents ????

Bill…

far as I can tell the damage is already done,

best we can hope for is that governments will put in place measures to prevent people from making the runs on the markets that caused it. :disagree:

dontcare
:cool:

It has not at all bottomed out. There are so many market problems in the offing. More damage to come. Make sure you get yours, so you’ll be OK. And fight for social justice, which is the greatest guarantee of stability. Bill, your economy depends so much on ours - I was just reading the London, Ont. paper this morning, and that city is now your unemployment leader, b/c your dollar is too strong and trade with the US is a mess…and we’re about to get a bit worse on our end, which won’t help you. Our pols still haven’t read Keynes or bothered to learn from history. Idiots.