FRUSTRATED!!!!!!! with N-Track?

Maybe this will help

I can expect that the problems we are experiencing are relatively common to most of us.

I was having sync problems caused by another annoying problem. I was getting this annoying BRRRP right in the middle of recording (it would startle the crap out of me when I had my headphones on :p ). When it happened, the track would be immediately out of sync, though, I wouldn’t hear it until I played the song back.

I was also having problems with crashing; severe crashing. I would be at the end of a great take, and then, when I went to play back, CRASH!!!

I too wanted to give up, but my wallet wouldn’t let me. So, I persevered. Now I am at peace. Everything you need to solve your problems is just a mouse click or two away.

The first thing I learned: at the end of a take that I may potentially want to keep, I save before I play back. Getting out of the habit of waiting until I had just about recorded everything before I saved was the beginning of solving my problems. So, save, save, save!!

I solved my sync issues when I started using the ASIO driver for my soundcard. I was using the MME driver, but it apparently is not as reliable as the ASIO.

My BRRRP problem was caused by my processor not being able to handle all of the plugins I wanted to use. Upgrade the processor, you say? Up until the other day, I was going to. I already have a 2Ghz Celeron, and thought a full blown Pentium4 would be the answer. Not so! I was looking in the “Help” section for something on “CPU usage”, and it gave me the section on the “Freeze” option. Now I’m using it extensively, and I’m having no problems during playback with that annoying BRRP. It only happens when I initially place a plugin on a track, and play it, but now I don’t care if it happens. all I want to do is make sure the plugin is giving me the desired effect, and then I FREEZE it.

So, my advice in a nut shell: Save it, and Freeze it in an ASIO driver. :D

I hope this helps. And please post your results either way.

Jeff

Hi jsmyers24151:
That’s a great post…

Putting this up is a positive step toward showing other guys that your machine is and may not be exactly like the next machine…

If there were ten machines set-up, in a row I don’t think there would be any two machines to behave alike… Each of us has to discover how best to get our DAWs to work to get the project done… That’s what I think…

Bill…

Hi js,

I like your post because it shows once again how so many of the problems that people attribute to N-Track are really not ntrack’s fault and can be easily dealt with once you know the solution.

Ted

Quote (Ted Roberts @ April 01 2006,12:54)
Hi js,

I like your post because it shows once again how so many of the problems that people attribute to N-Track are really not ntrack's fault and can be easily dealt with once you know the solution.

Ted

Or it shows how n-track is not robust enough to properly handle varying system setups like the majority of software in the world is made to.

Rationalize all you want, but if n-track was that well-made these problems would not occur so constantly. Look at a program like Opera. It runs on nearly every system out there, and never crashes. Utilizies every aspect of a system when used totally as well. Completely functional and stable. Or even software like AIM or MSN messanger. Audio softwares like sonar where the problem is almost never blamed on the computer or..

Well, funny thing was I as getting all sorts of recording grief through firewire with ntrack for quite some time, ASIO drivers with buffers maxxed out would still stutter, this that and the other.

Last night I started ntrack for the first time since changing this MB (My asus a7n8x died, replaced with a gigabyte nforce2 board, not as overclockable (at all), but seems stable after a bios update), went to WDM, wound the recording buffers right up and away we went. Worked fine.

You know Willy that’s funny. I’m having no problems with my firewire card, but that’s not to say I didn’t go through three days of #### before figuring out what was wrong.

I see Flav’s latest update fixes an ASIO crash.

sigh I think the reason there is so much complaining about stability is that no one really looks at other similar software. Audio software like games reach deep into the system level to get their latancy low, graphics fast, etc. by directly “speaking” with the hardware. They don’t have fifteen layers of wrappers, run times, etc between them and the system. Therefore it is much easier to make AIM than COunterStrike or n-track work on everything in the world. Every game or audio app out thereseems to have forums filed with folks all bent out of shape about the thing crashing. I don’t knwo what to tell you, but that is par for the course be it Flavio or anyone else. I lay a lot of the blame on the hardware manufacturors. They get a preliminary spec on a standard, rush a product to market, and then when some sytem call changes from the orignal spec to the final causing certain programs to crash that use it, the Flavio’s of the world get blamed. Just my suspicions after having seen how simple things like RAM, video cards, and NICs can take an otherwise solid machine and turn it into a train wreck.

Quote (X-track @ April 01 2006,19:10)
Quote (Ted Roberts @ April 01 2006,12:54)
Hi js,

I like your post because it shows once again how so many of the problems that people attribute to N-Track are really not ntrack’s fault and can be easily dealt with once you know the solution.

Ted

Or it shows how n-track is not robust enough to properly handle varying system setups like the majority of software in the world is made to.

Rationalize all you want, but if n-track was that well-made these problems would not occur so constantly. Look at a program like Opera. It runs on nearly every system out there, and never crashes. Utilizies every aspect of a system when used totally as well. Completely functional and stable. Or even software like AIM or MSN messanger. Audio softwares like sonar where the problem is almost never blamed on the computer or…

Partially true. All of the programs you mentioned (to include Sonar) has been known to have problems as well, just check the forums. Not to mention none of the programs used as an example are evolving like Ntrack(which is the greatest difference). So yes Ntrack will always have flaws (that is why beta is attached to the discription on the build some of the times). The other programs (Opera, AIM MSN messenger) mentioned do not have many users complaining about the compatability with their system is because of these simple facts: it takes months before these programs add new features(less chance of stability issues), the ones who have the issues simply bounce from one free program to the next(no real drive to trouble shoot something you did not pay for). The reason why individual systems are sometimes presented as a problem is because of the fact that a great number of the guys on this forum have the knowlege and experience to identify many (not all) of the problems that come about. If anyone knows of a program that can do what Ntrack does for the price, is as easy to navigate, always improving with no issues point me in that direction so I can see for myself. For now Ntrack is for me.
Bubbagump also made some very good points that should be well noted. :)

I think you folks are missing what I am saying (that’s not new). I have no problem with how stable or unstable. IT’s the mentality the it is met with.

There are audio applications that have wholey positive outlooks with very instability reports (mostly one author programs as well). Tracktion 1 did, Sadie, multitrack pro, ardour, sawstudio. Flstudio and reason rarely have complains about stability. Samplitude private forums almost never have a mention of stability problems. And then there’s progams like audiomulch or bidule. You also have the countless plugins with uber functionality that operate stable with few issues… And making a plugin that works in numerous hosts in numerous computers with soem of the functionality like melodyne or similiar is certainly a larger task than an audio app in terms of stable and reliable operation. Ive been studying this intensly for a week now. Rather obsessing over it :O Reading endless forum archives

Now if you want to look at cubase and sonar and tracktion 2 and protools then yes… good examples of softwares with endless problems :laugh:

Quote (X-track @ April 02 2006,18:13)
Now if you want to look at cubase and sonar and tracktion 2 and protools then yes.... good examples of softwares with endless problems :laugh:

There are loads of pro studios that use cuBase and Sonar. Steinburg wrote the code for VST. I'd be more curious to see what soundcards and operating setups the experts recomend and what they stay away from. The arguement that the software code should be written in such a way that every hardware device works for it doesn't hold water to me.

Hey X I must be missing something here. I looked into some of the programs that were mentioned. I must admit Fruity studios is great, in fact I use it. But I do not consider it to be a true multi track program (but it is getting very close with the pro version). As for the other multitrack programs, on all of the forums if a problem is pointed out there is always a reply that points out the possibility of the system (drivers, hardware, other software, etc.) Ardours appears to be new to the table compared to the rest. The makers of the programs can bust their butts to attempt to fix every issue, but the sad fact of the matter is not all issues can be fixed. You are correct in saying we should help to improve Ntrack, keep in mind that everytime someone downloads and installs a beta, finds issues, reports issues along with their set up, the program can get better. :)