geezer rock will change the world...

or not…

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/18/leisure.young.reut/index.html

I seen that crap on the toob last night. Political activists? BS! Opportunists? Yep!

D

Quote (Guest @ April 18 2006,17:05)
I seen that crap on the toob last night. Political activists? BS! Opportunists? Yep!

D

Regardless of their positions or beliefs, I don’t have a problem with any songwriter writing about the war. It’s an important current event that many people are passionate about. Neil Young or Toby Keith or anybody else stating his/her opinion is no different than you posting on this forum - except they have record deals, so people actually pay money to hear what they have to say.

<!–QuoteBegin>

people actually pay money to hear what they have to say.

Yes, but I don’t want to pay money to hear someone elses politics. I pay for entertainment. Not opinions.

It is VERY different from me posting on the forum here. Nobody is paying me. Besides you all KNOW I’m full o’ shite! These people want you to believe they have answers.

D

Quote (Diogenes @ April 18 2006,17:51)
These people want you to believe they have answers.

What is wrong with that?

Should the right to talk about political opinions be reserved for only the non-influential? And people who haven’t made up their minds regarding what the “answers” are?

Look, if these people take the proceeds of all these record sales and feed and clothe Iraqi refugees or something like that, I’ll believe they had a good cause in mind when they set out to do this. If not, they are just opportunists looking to turn a fast buck.

Hey, I am NOT defending the Bush administration OK? They have funked up things beyond belief. Would the situation in Iraq be better if Kerry were Prez? I doubt it.

<!–QuoteBegin>

What is wrong with that?

Nothing I suppose… but what would lead me to believe Neil Young is qualified to run the country? Years of substance abuse? Does he hold a masters in economics? Do any of these outspoken, spoiled rotten celebs? My only beef is entertainers should entertain. That’s what I pay 'em for. If I want political opinions or advice… I’ll ask Toker! :p

Peace out dude. I didn’t set out to piss anybody off.

D

Who’s pissed off or asking you to defend the Bush administration??!? I’m just curious about why you think the way you do. And now I see it’s because you hate celebrities! (Kiiiidding!)

Welll nothing new here really…

Pop musicians have long been a source of anti-establishment messages, or at a milder level trying to draw attention to political issues.

No different to the hippies in the 60s/70s, the sex pistols, U2, Midnight Oil to name a few

The way I see it, if it causes some people to think a bit more about some issues then it can’t be a bad thing.

Whether you adopt the same viewpoint as the artist is a matter of personal opinion (and possibly education, intellect or environment…)

Another way to look at it is that there are a lot of people that do pay money for some of these acts and are totally oblivious to the message trying to be conveyed.
ie. They enjoy it purely for the entertainment value and don’t care or don’t realise what the politcal message is…
Should these people be applauded for this or chastised/pitied for being ignorant/apathetic?

Rich

Hmmm… that’s a good point Rich. I guess a lot of folks may enjoy the entertainment and be oblivious. If they’re happy with it… cool.

I’m just a cynical bastage I guess. My first reaction was the eyes rolling and the “Oh geez… look who’s trying to cash in on the situation.” kind of thing. I should give the benefit of the doubt I suppose. Nah… I’ll just be a cynical old bastage!! :p

BTW, “Geezer rock”… that phrase really makes me smile for some reason…

D

Long live NEIL YOUNG! Good ole Neil - I knew he’d finally “speak out against the madness”.

It’s all finally coming to roost for Bush isn’t it: Iraq is crumbling, immigration policy is bad, deficit is out of control, oil prices soaring, global warming’s going get us, etc., etc. I can’t wait till mid-term elections.

Did you watch Bush toay defend Rumsfeld? It’s actually kind of sad to see such a blind ideologue support another blind ideologue. It’s unprecedented that these retired Generals are speaking out against Rumsfeld. But the whole Iraq debacle is pretty much his fault. Several years ago, I said Bush would not be getting rid of Rumsfeld in his 2nd term, because Rumsfeld is the hero of the neo-Cons which control this admin, and I’ve proven to be correct on this one.

It’s all failing apart.

if yer a musician,just shut up an play yer guitar,if ya wanna do politics,join the dixie chicks,

Quote (Mr Soul @ April 18 2006,23:00)
Long live NEIL YOUNG! Good ole Neil - I knew he'd finally "speak out against the madness".

It's all finally coming to roost for Bush isn't it: Iraq is crumbling, immigration policy is bad, deficit is out of control, oil prices soaring, global warming's going get us, etc., etc. I can't wait till mid-term elections.

Did you watch Bush toay defend Rumsfeld? It's actually kind of sad to see such a blind ideologue support another blind ideologue. It's unprecedented that these retired Generals are speaking out against Rumsfeld. But the whole Iraq debacle is pretty much his fault. Several years ago, I said Bush would not be getting rid of Rumsfeld in his 2nd term, because Rumsfeld is the hero of the neo-Cons which control this admin, and I've proven to be correct on this one.

It's all failing apart.

*cue the crickets*

Buying someone else’s view, but ain’t that America?

My opinion on this is that music and politics does mix.

Songs that have touched us deep in our hearts are full of hidden political meaning such as My Humps by the Blackeyed Peas, or Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus, and of course the all time classic Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice.

yaaa know what I’m tryin ta say?