Getting sounds in

Recording tracks

Hi all,

New here, so please be gentle with me.

How do you guys generally record tracks for n-track? Do you record directly into n-track, or record elsewhere and import?

Both.

dontcare

Directly in, through an audio interface, in my case, for the last couple of years through a MOTU. But there are lots of ways to do it, and some here (a minority) record on something else and import. What soundcard or interface or whatever do you have?

I always go direct to DAW. Why screw around recording then importing?

Direct…through the cheapest mixer you will ever see.

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Dec. 29 2010, 12:54 PM)

Direct...through the cheapest mixer you will ever see.

Let's see it! :agree:

I’m not sure what the soundcard is to be honest (how to you determine that exactly?) as I plan to use it on a new laptop I have. Basically, I have not used n-track for about three years but I used to record tracks on a ZOOM PS04 palm top studio thing and then import into n-track. I thought that was a good way of doing it. I want to start recording again and was just wondering how you guys go about it.

If you only want to do a couple of tracks at a time, go get a USB audio interface. They are dirt cheap nowadays.

Thanks for your replies.

Anybody here use a sequencer with recording?

Quote: (GIBBO @ Jan. 02 2011, 1:02 PM)

Thanks for your replies.

Often. Whassup!?

Does n-Track count as a sequencer?
:agree:

I’ve always been curious about this:

Quote:

Thanks for your replies.

Often. Whassup!?

Sorry, I must sound a bit confused. Just wondering how people go about recording really. Does anyone use a hardware sequencer and then play that into n-track? Or do people use a software sequencer? Any recommendations?

Give us a list of your gear. Anything is possible and most equipment is interconnectable.

Well, got an acer aspire 5535 laptop now and have re-installed n-track version 4.1.2 (or is that 4.2.1?). I have a ZOOM PS-04 palmtop studio (which I have used to record in the past - particularly good for vocals and guitar effetcs) and a YAMAHA QY70 sequencer. In the past, I have sequenced drum tracks and some keyboards and bass on the QY70 and recorded them into the palmtop along with non-sequenced quitar and vocals (of course) and then exported all that to n-track for mixing and sticking it all together. Also added extra tracks once the basics are laid down. I have electric and acoustic guitars, a Winchester WDP-65 digital piano and also a midi controller keyboard (with no voices). In the past, this has got me by, but the sequencer seems as though it has seen better days, so I was just wondering what people may recommend to get started again, what with all the modern technology and software avilable now. I have probably got all I need really!?

Gibbo. No shortage in the gear department. I think it would be a good idea for you to familiarise yourself with sequencing in n-Track to see if it would be the happy centerpiece.
Whatever you’re comfortable with is best:-)

How about one of those nice USB interfaces or the like? How many channels in do you want? The way you did it in the past sounds like a lot of work to me. Then again, I’m lazy.

BTW, the picture is of the 1/2 million dollar RCA sound synthesizer built in 1957:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Mark_II_Sound_Synthesizer

4 note polyphony!!! I got 6 note polyphony on my Korg synth for the Nintendo DS! :)

Tch! Where would Kraftwerk be without Andrew Carnegie?

Quote: (GIBBO @ Jan. 02 2011, 3:01 PM)

Quote:

Thanks for your replies.

Often. Whassup!?

Sorry, I must sound a bit confused. Just wondering how people go about recording really. Does anyone use a hardware sequencer and then play that into n-track? Or do people use a software sequencer? Any recommendations?

Again, why? Why record everything twice? Record MIDI direct to your DAW too.