Ghost sounds appear after converting to wav. HELP

HElP

Ok, I’m new to n-track. I have been recording my band’s music through an Alesis 8 USB mixer strait to n-track. The recording process has been great and we have great sounding songs when they are in the n-track song file format.

Here lies my problem:

As soon as I mixdown and convert to wav I get three “ghost” notes in the wav file somewhere from 0:50-1:00, this has happened in several songs I have mixed down and it also repeats in each file 2-3 times.

I could use some serious help if anyone knows what the deal is.

-Dascher

Well, barring some other-worldly manifestations, this could be caused by harmonic resonance, two other tones are sounding, and they cause a harmonic. This is pretty rare.

Can you track the ‘ghost notes’ to any one track? Even if they are very quiet, a compressor may be opening up during a quiet passage, causing the notes to be louder after a mixdown.

Could it be an artifact caused by some equipment in or around the room (i.e. refrigerator, air conditioner), or a 60hz hum?

Are you using any plugins?

What are the “ghost notes” like (pitch/tone)?

Do the notes have a clearly defined attack? or more of a fade-in-fade-out type sound?

Are there any bodies buried under your studio space? :p

.-=gp=-.

This makes me think that your AV scanner may be kicking in at the 1 minute mark. However, the AV should create a “pop” or “click” rather than a musical tone. Can you post a sample of the sound somewhere where we can hear it?

Just disable your AV during recording to check my theory. In fact, disable ALL background applications during your DAW sessions.

HTH

Don ???

Are you using a registered version of n-Track?
The unregistered version adds 3 organ notes every so often to a mixdown…

OMG!,

I havent registered yet. This was a waste.

Thanks.

No not a waste. Keep your files, REGISTER, then do your mixdown(s). The “organ tones” should be gone. I think that Alesis only does 16 bit audio right? If so, get the 16 bit license for about $45 and you are set. Best bargain multi-tracking software out there IMO. You have to spend serious dollars to move up to any software that’s TRULY “better”. Even then it’s all subjective…

D

LOL! - No “Ghost in the Machine” After all eh?

.-=gp=-.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Well, barring some other-worldly manifestations, this could be caused by harmonic resonance, two other tones are sounding, and they cause a harmonic. This is pretty rare.

I’m kinda disappointed that it wasn’t this, actually. :)

Rumor has it that Flavio recorded those “organ tones” by accident while doing the audio at a church’s mime performance. The mimes were busy miming when all of a sudden the pipe organ goes, doo - dee - doo! The mime performance was ruined! Flavio had an easy mix down though… :D

D