Giving a song to somebody else to mix

Hi all. I’m giving a song I’ve done in N-track to somebody else to mix. They need all the wav files however they can’t obviously take the timeline unless they’re using ntrack. Is the only way to do this to flatten all effects, eq, etc. and then mix down a wav of each track and give it to them that way, so that each wav starts at the same time. If they were to import them into a different app it should be fine.

Anybody have any better ways of doing this? (ASIDE from telling them to use Ntrack!!!

That would be easiest so they can just import all wavs to start at the beginning…

Although if yu have a short take (eg. a guitar solo) that you have started from the beginning of a particular bar you could tell the other person that abc.wav should start at bar 35 or whatever.
This assumes that when you recorded that wav you had snap to grid turned on and started recording at the beginning of a bar and not just a rnadom point in the song.

I always have snap to grid on when doing takes as it means that the same take can easily be moved elsewhere in the song and be in time.

Rich

Turn all FX off by clicking the little green box in the upper left corner of the timeline view (if that’s still there in V4). Set all faders to 0dB, including Master fader.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Although if yu have a short take (eg. a guitar solo) that you have started from the beginning of a particular bar you could tell the other person that abc.wav should start at bar 35 or whatever.

Or tell them what offset to set the file to (edit -> song information)

As a rule of thumb, once I’m fairly happy with a take, I always mix down my individual tracks to start at zero. It makes disaster recovery a snap.
:cool: