gonna make some mead!

I figured I’d get the brewin’ bug back real strong.
Bruffie’s song gave me a hankerin’ for Mead.
Found a 13th century mead recipe. I need an English interpreter though.

//ffor to make mede. Tak .i. galoun of fyne hony and to þat .4. galouns of water and hete þat water til it be as lengh þanne dissolue þe hony in þe water. thanne set hem ouer þe fier & let hem boyle and ever scomme it as longe as any filthe rysith þer on. and þanne tak it doun of þe fier and let it kole in oþer vesselle til it be as kold as melk whan it komith from þe koow. than tak drestis of þe fynest ale or elles berme and kast in to þe water & þe hony. and stere al wel to gedre but ferst loke er þu put þy berme in. that þe water with þe hony be put in a fayr stonde & þanne put in þy berme or elles þi drestis for þat is best & stere wel to gedre/ and ley straw or elles clothis a bowte þe vessel & a boue gif þe wedir be kolde and so let it stande .3. dayes & .3. nygthis gif þe wedir be kold And gif it be hoot wedir .i. day and .1. nyght is a nogh at þe fulle But ever after .i. hour or .2. at þe moste a say þer of and gif þu wilt have it swete tak it þe sonere from þe drestis & gif þu wilt have it scharpe let it stand þe lenger þer with. Thanne draw it from þe drestis as cler as þu may in to an oþer vessel clene & let it stonde .1. nyght or .2. & þanne draw it in to an oþer clene vessel & serve it forth

I think it just says one gallon of honey to 4 gals. water - cook, skim and ferment.
But it’s way awesomer to tell folks it’s from a 13th century recipe. :agree:

I tried reading that and got a headache . . .

Still would be very cool! :agree:

Probably get a headache after consuming too.

I dunno if I have enough bottles for 5 gallons of mead.

Ya’ll save yer bottles for me!

Quote:

I need an English interpreter though

Put the lime in the cocoanut.

Well if you figure that out, I'll definately by a gallon from you. :laugh:

That reminds me - when I lived in Tennessee there was a gallon limit for homemade wines. Better check Colorado ‘case the revenewerz come callin’.

http://www.uab.edu/reynolds/tractatus/20r.jpg

I’m thinking that’s 14th century. Give me a few minutes and I’ll modernize it for you, if you like.

To make mede.

Take 1 gallon of fine honey and 4 gals of water.
Heat the water until it is warm (I think, I don’t have my dictionary handy), then dissolve the honey in the water.
Then set it over the fire and let it boil and take the scum off the top of it for as long as any filth rises to the top.
Then take it down off the fire and let it cool in another vessel until it be as cold as milk when it comes from the cow (about 98 degrees?).
Then take residual yeast (drestis - dregs I think) from the finest ale [which you have also been brewing, of course, and has been bottle conditioned] or else [some other] yeast and cast into the water and the honey and stir all well together, but first look before you put the yeast in that the water with the honey be put in a clean pot, and then put in your yeast or else your residual yeast from the ale for that is the best.
Stir well together and lay straw or else cloths about the vessel and above if the weather is cold and so let it stand for 3 days and 3 nights if the weather is cold.
And if it be hot weather 1 full day and 1 full night is enough.
But ever after 1 hour or 2 at the most test it and if you want to have it sweet take it the sooner from the drestis (that is, remove the fermenting stuff), and if you want it sharp [more alcohol, less sugar - the idea is to interrupt the fermenting process at the desired point - I like my mead “sharp” BTW] let it stand longer.
Then remove the dregs so that what remains is as clear as possible, and put it into another clean vessel and let it stand 1 or 2 nights, and then draw it into another clean vessel - and serve it forth!

Quite a recipie, actually.

Quote: (TomS @ Feb. 12 2009, 6:31 PM)

To make mede.

Take 1 gallon of fine honey and 4 gals of water.
Heat the water until it is warm (I think, I don't have my dictionary handy), then dissolve the honey in the water.
Then set it over the fire and let it boil and take the scum off the top of it for as long as any filth rises to the top.
Then take it down off the fire and let it cool in another vessel until it be as cold as milk when it comes from the cow (about 98 degrees?).
Then take residual yeast (drestis - dregs I think) from the finest ale [which you have also been brewing, of course, and has been bottle conditioned] or else [some other] yeast and cast into the water and the honey and stir all well together, but first look before you put the yeast in that the water with the honey be put in a clean pot, and then put in your yeast or else your residual yeast from the ale for that is the best.
Stir well together and lay straw or else cloths about the vessel and above if the weather is cold and so let it stand for 3 days and 3 nights if the weather is cold.
And if it be hot weather 1 full day and 1 full night is enough.
But ever after 1 hour or 2 at the most test it and if you want to have it sweet take it the sooner from the drestis (that is, remove the fermenting stuff), and if you want it sharp [more alcohol, less sugar - the idea is to interrupt the fermenting process at the desired point - I like my mead "sharp" BTW] let it stand longer.
Then remove the dregs so that what remains is as clear as possible, and put it into another clean vessel and let it stand 1 or 2 nights, and then draw it into another clean vessel - and serve it forth!

Quite a recipie, actually.

But if you use your recipe...would it be authentic :) :)

Save me a bottle Poppa!!

I dunno - I buy my mead at a truckstop down the road a bit.