Good speaker

live

Hi! I can buy a second hand JBL EON 15 P G (300 + 100 watt), does anybody know it? Is it a good one for the vocals? It’s a powered speaker, seems very easy in use. But I already tried a wharfedale and it was horrible… What do you guys use for vocals and which one (passive or active, I don’t mind) are good and clean for vocals? :)

The JBL EON series are PA speakers, really not suitable as reference monitors. I use Mackie 824s but many folks here use Event 20/20s, as well as some MAudio and KRK models. It pretty much depends on what you have to spend and what is available in your area.

Hi maria:
I use a pair of Yorkville YSM1p’s in the setup I have.

You know… IT’s not what you use… IT’s what you get used to useing…

I had a pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5’s with a Yamaha P-2100 power amp… I used them for years till the power amp failed and blew one of the cabinets… IT was a real loss to me…

Powered Monitors are “Current-and-in-Fashon”… these days…

If you’re gonna use the JBL Cabinets for “Live” application they would be a safe investment for you. If you were gonna use them for “Track Mixing”, they could be quite Fatuging to listen to after long hours of Mixing…

In my opinion, that is…

Bill…

MAria, you will need to tell us what you are using this for. Are you using it for live performances? Or do you want to use these to use in the studio? I own a pair of JBL EON G2s and they are great speakers for live. I love the fact I don’t have to deal with separate crossovers and power amplifiers. For studio use, they would not be acceptable at all. They just don’t have the low end nor are they tuned for such a purpose. You would need to stand back 20 feet at least to get a reasonable balance even it they were tuned for studio use.

Really, the 15 inchers don’t have low end? I think they should, and if you’re producing CDs with much LF that the G2’s won’t play, you may be putting way too much low end energy in your mixes!

But I agree that they’re great for live use and not suitable as reference monitors for mixing. For one thing, you want much smaller speakers for that so you can put them very close (“near field monitoring”).

<!–QuoteBegin>

Topic: Good speaker, live

For live perf. these JBL’s are great. Get 2 if you can.

They have low end, it just isn’t what you want in a studio monitor. It sort of slopes off and the speakers have some dips and peaks here and there.

Quote (hansje @ April 17 2006,11:05)
<!–QuoteBegin>
Topic: Good speaker, live

For live perf. these JBL’s are great. Get 2 if you can.

Captain oblivious strikes again! In that case, go for it. I love my pair.

Thnx guys! I just bought them. I’m not gonna use them for recording. I tried them but tommorow with my band and I’m curious how they sound then… I’m happy to hear these positive feedback :) :)

Hi Jeff and All:
I’m replying to your post regarding “Bottom End” Energy response, in mixing…

I seem to think in the reverse when you hear frequencies across the spectrum…

For example… If the speskers you’re listening to are deficent in some frequencies then it’s gonna reflect in your mixes… The same as if your hearing is, say not “Flat” then your are gonna push those frequences that you do not hear well… For example again… If your hearing is defient in the high end you will push those frequencies and the person who listens to your mix will say… the mix is top-end heavy…

So, if the monitors you do you mix with is bottom-end heavy and your hearing is “Say Flat”, then your mixes will be deficent in the bottom end. If your speakers are deficent in the top end and your hearing is “Say Flat” then your mixes will be Hi-End Heavy…

So, for the sake of reference… A 31-band stereo E.Q. would be nice as a “Reference Adjuster”…

For example again…

If your hearing and speakers are “IN STEP” with each-other, then the E.Q. adjustment will be in the “Opposing Direction” to what you “think-and-see” on the E.Q. Sliders…

For example again…

If your hearing is eccentually gone in the “Top End” and you raise the E.Q.Faders to combinsate for your loss of Hi-End to hear whats there, you are defeating the purpose of adjusting your E.Q. IT’s gonna make your mixes even more deficent in that region… If your hearing slopes downward in the Hi End then your E.Q. adjustment must also slope downward in that region, as well…

Comming back to Speakers being “Bottom End Heavy” and your hearing is good in the “Bottom End”, then I think your Mixes will be “Bottom End” deficent… Cause you’ll create your mixes with less “Bottom End”…

All of this is in “Relative Terms” of course… This reply is not O.T. to this thread… I don’t think… What say YOU… :O ???

Bill…

EDIT: I’ve moved my response over to the one about “Any Bass Players…?”, as it’s more in that context, I think. :)

Hi Guys, think I made a mistake. The seller told me it were JBL EON 15 P G, I bought them but now I found out the speakers are named JBL EON 15PAK … First I thought it was just easy to call it P instead of PAK , now I found out it’s a different type. The 15P has 300+100 W and the 15PAK 130+50 W :p I think I can’t trust the seller… The sound was reasonable but not that powerfull as I expected or do I see something wrong?:angry:

Did you buy over the 'net? If so, it’s understood that one needs to be specific about what one is selling! I’d go see about it. And whether or not the seller meant to do it, it sounds like misrepresetation.

Two things anyway: How is the buy, deal-wise? And, do you need the 300+100? Just an added thought. But I’d get back to 'im.

Yes, I do go back to him. He specified them as 300+100 W for one speaker and he named it 15 P G so…

The difference between 300 watts and 130 watts (likewise between 100 and 50) is not a great as it seems. This represents a difference of approximately 3.5 dB (for the bass driver, 3 dB for the horn). Since 1 dB is a “just-discernable difference” (the smallest difference in level that can be identified reliably without a reference sound) it is not nearly as dramatic as it seems when described in (linear) watts. To get a sense of the difference in maximum output just play a mix and turn down the master gain by 3.5 dB and you will hear the amount of difference in maximum level. If you do not normally play near maximum it may make no difference at all. I have heard that the Beatles played Shea Stadium with 100 watt amplifiers (of course no one could hear them over the screaming but that was “state-of-the-art” at the time).

On the other hand you have to decide whether the speakers are a good value for the price you paid. Check the list price and see what the going-rate for that exact model is on ebay. For small gigs they should be adequate (depending on how loud your band is) but that does not mean that they are worth what you paid.

Jim