Got Metal?

Would like to hear other N users metal…

Hello, I’m into metal and aggressive music in general. I’d be interested in hearing some metal tracks from other N-users. I have one track nearly completed that I’ll post myself. That is if anyone can tolerate the noise! :)

Thanks

Lets hear it!!! :) Although I haven’t listened to metal since my days of covering sabbath tunes :D

:)

I’ll post it ASAP. I need to re-record the guitars. They are super thin sounding right now. I’ve learned a ton since they were first recorded.

Here’s some of my stuff (pretty heavy), all done in Ntrack:

http://www.soundclick.com/thejamesdillonproject

JD

Awesome, I’m listening to “Flicker From The Chasm” right now. Unbelieveable. Very complex, I’m impressed. In the intro the guitar sounds “right there”. For some reason, my guitar tracks sound a little distant, and I don’t know why. Close mic’d, completely dry, recorded at stage volume, but I’m just a beginner, so…

Could you tell me about your setup at all?

Anyway, thanks for the reply, your material is real cool. Check out www.decapitado.com. They are local (Milwaukee), and I see hear some similarities to your music. If you like them, sign the book and tell them “Scott from FFD” sent you.

:D \m/

Hey Sweet, thanks for the kind words!

I use a Line6 POD XTL for all of my recording, that way I’m able to use different amp models, and go direct to get a really clean signal. Micing guitar cabs are an art in itself (which I know a LITTLE bit about, but not enough to get the ideal sound I’m looking for).

What is your setup like, maybe I can help a little.

JD

You’re welcome.

You are right about mic’ing cab’s. It’s an art that I haven’t come close to mastering :D I noticed a big difference just moving the mic 1/2" from the cone center.

My set up: ESP LTD EC-1000 > Shure Wireless > Boss Tuner > Boss Reverb > Boss Noise > 5150II head > Mashall 1960A 4X12 > SM57 > M-Audio Fast Trask USB Interface > n-Track

I have a plywood box lined with foam around my cab. That works well in terms of isolation, but i monitor through head phones anyway, so bleed is not a problem.

I hear a lot about the POD, and have heard great results too… My wife will beat me if I buy one though… :angry:

:D

Based on your setup, a few things you could try:

- use minimal or no reverb when recording and instead try adding reverb to the track in Ntrack once the track is recorded

- when recording, I would avoid using the wireless as might loose a little tone/add a little noise to the recording

- record multiple rhythm guitar tracks, pan one to the left, and the other to the right (this will help get that ‘big’ sound)

Post some clips if you can, I might be able to help further. I hope this helps.

JD

Sure, go here. Guitar Clip

You will hear 4 guitar parts in a row. 1, 2 and 3 are professional recordings that I used as a reference. The 4th one is me.

I recorded it without verb, and without the wireless. It is however 1 track, dead center. How far apart to do pan typically? 100 to the left and 100 to the right (as in “all the way” :D )

Yeah, record one guitar track, pan it anywhere from 50-75% left, double it up and pan it to the right using the same ratio.Try adding a little more mids and a tiny bit more bass on your amp too.

This should beef it up bit.

Keep playing around with mic placement too, you might find a spot that you like better.

JD

Thanks for the tips… we’ll see what happens! :D

cool, some more metal guys in the forum. nice tunes you’ve got there caxn. i’d love to hear some vocals on those. since this seems to be the metal thread i’ll go ahead and throw one up too.

Chitty Bang

lates

t-willy

I guess this makes 3 of us! :D

Cool track t-willy, high energy to say the least. Could you give a brief run down of your approach to recording this? For example, mic’s or a POD? How many guitar tracks? live drums? etc.

I ask, becuase i’m a rookie with a drum machine, and trying to do my own vocals.

hey sweet,

here’s a quick rundown:

drums - live, recorded with a firepod. miced with 4 sm-57s (one on the kick, one on the toms/cymbals, one on the snare, and one hanging over the hi-hat/cymbals

guitars - i don’t know exactly since i’m not the guitarist (i collaborate with a couple of guys, i guess you could say we’re a band), but i’m pretty sure they’re recorded through a creative live soundcard - straight from a multi-effects pedal. two takes, which i then double to four and pan and eq differently for a fat sound

bass - straight into the firepod (with various effects) post recording

vocals - for this tune the verses were double takes for a bigger sound, straight into the firepod with a shure beta 58a. the “bang” vocals were about 4 takes, then doubled to eight and panned differently to try and get a big sound. the chorus was one take and then some distortion on top to give it that gritty sound.

other than that, it was pretty much trial and error, various plugins and effects, and headaches for the mix until i was happy. i’m still not completely happy and i never will be just b/c i’m so picky. its all good though :angry:

lates

t-willy

Thanks. Personally, I’m having one h*ll of a time getting a decent guitar sound, so I’m kind of stuck on that right now. I have about 3 songs basically done (written) and ready to record (I’m solo, w/ a drum machine), but I’m taking my time to get the right tone.

I have a decent rig and a 57, just playing with mic placement and EQ…

i wouldn’t spent too much time on the tone. get a pretty good one then mess with it in N-track. That’s what the guy I play with does anyway. He says he can really shape his sound with the native EQ. anyway, i just want to hear your tunes :D

lates

t-willy

Quote (t-willy @ July 26 2005,16:23)
i wouldn’t spent too much time on the tone. get a pretty good one then mess with it in N-track.

I agree. As it turns out, last night I was able to get some pretty good results. I switched to a different guitar, twirled some knobs, moved the mic around a bit, and got something half decent. :p Only mild EQ needed, Hi and Low passes at 100Hz and 7.5kHz (I always do that anyway), and lastly a pretty “deep” cut at 900Hz…

I’m going to get to work tracking ASAP!
Quote (sweet @ July 24 2005,11:42)
I guess this makes 3 of us! :D

Cool track t-willy, high energy to say the least. Could you give a brief run down of your approach to recording this? For example, mic's or a POD? How many guitar tracks? live drums? etc.

I ask, becuase i'm a rookie with a drum machine, and trying to do my own vocals.

4 of us :) But I try to keep it quiet in this forum :) I've recorded some metal in n-track but only covers of Ozzie and Sabbath and strangely enough a Filipino Rock song that a friend and I "metalled up" to make it sound more aggressive. Great to hear some metal in the forum and good stuff too!! Would love to hear some stuff with vox!

Thought I would post the Filipino “Rock” song that I recorded with a friend of mine. Ric recorded the Guitars in Cubase. I added the vox in n-Track. Left the vox a bit dry maybe, but fun to do. The song was originally recorded by a girl in the seventies.
Cheers,
Bruffie.

Nosi Ba Lasi