Great mixing series of articles

for next level wannabees

MHB Productions 2007 AES

Great listens here. The MultiBuss Compression articles are real jewels.

:agree:

I honestly had never considered it but it is a great mixing philosophy.

To be an engineer?
To be, first you have to wanna be. The calmness factor is premium!

“you have to calibrate all the compressors a surtain way.”

“It’s about mixing into the compressors”? What do you think he means by that?

Adjust the comprssors all diffrently untill you stumble onto majic?

That could take forever moving at cave speed.

Well it took him years and he’s still growing/changing.

Quote:

“It’s about mixing into the compressors”? What do you think he means by that?

Well, with a multi buss setup you would mix into each compressor according to how each one is setup and what level of tone each provided and what overall tone or instrument you are trying to effect. This presumes a lot for us ITB (In The Box)guys. I’m not well enough acquainted with the many plug in compressors to know if they have the same “character” as hardware compressors, but that’s the theory anyway.

Translation… overly complicated use of multiband compression by utilizing external crossovers and boutique comps all over. Decent idea… waste of time. Use a single multiband run in parallel with the main 2 bus out and get it over with.

Heh-heh… Bubba just cuts to the chase… I like it… :agree:

Really, how many guys who now consider themselves “recording engineers” in this “In The Box” generation really know what the endless supply of plugin tools do? Shoot you don’t even have to play an instrument! Just buy a stack of CD’s full of loops, chop 'em up and grind 'em together. BANG! "Hit"

Phooey… :p

D

I mean, all he has done is combined multiband compression with the New York compression method. Then spent entirely too much money and time on odd ball comps… because a Distressor really adds syrup to the 2.5-2.7k range and an 1176 makes the below 80hz range thump and… whatever. Blood from a turnip to get that last 5% of good is all that is. That and all those knobs on expensive ass gear sure is fun to play with. 99% of folks can’t even work a multiband comp effectively when the crossovers are taken care of for you. Heck, 85% of folks can’t even work a single typical broad band comp effectively on a track.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 24 2008, 1:58 PM)

99% of folks can't even work a multiband comp effectively when the crossovers are taken care of for you. Heck, 85% of folks can't even work a single
typical broad band comp effectively on a track.

My point exactly sir. Still... it doesn't stop me from trying! LOL... :agree:

Crossover? - Whazzat? The chicken right? Gettin to the other side?
Threshold? - Huh...?
Hysteresis? - Whata-whata-whata up widdat? Something really, really funny?
Knee? - Ah, now you sprechen zie my language! Below the femur right?
dB? - Easy... "da-Boo-taay!" Das what I'm talking about! Yeah...

Meh... where'd I put that "HOT TOONS & Percussion Mega-PAK" sample CD...

D

PS What I want is a TIME plugin. Or a "Don't need sleep" plugin... I barely have time to wipe my hiney anymore... ugh...

PPS Take today for example. There's hardly anybody here at work. Vacationing... I could be at home working on some half-baked tunes I've started and having some fun. NOOOOooo... I gotta sit here and wait for phone calls and/or emails from engineering firms who told me they would have my stuff finished and emailed to me by now. I'd bet my left testicle the jerks are at home in THEIR basements laying down tracks and having their office phone forwarded... "Hello? Uh... sure D'... workin' on it bud... Yeah right now... Give us a little more time eh? Have it to ya' ASAP... *CLICK*"

Times like this I HATE my job.
Quote: (Dubious @ Nov. 24 2008, 3:27 PM)

PS What I want is a TIME plugin. Or a "Don't need sleep" plugin... I barely have time to wipe my hiney anymore... ugh...

I hear it exists in a chemical form... however, you'll be living under a bridge within a year and dead in two... but you know... the first week you'll be really productive.

Hysteresis = a mood common during PMS

I wonder if I could talk the boss into buying me a plotter for my house? I could forward my email, check things over and plot the drawings. The contractor dudes could just drive by and I’d toss the drawings out the window at 'em… hmmm…

That’d be better than your proposed solution Bubba. Besides; I LOVE me… No chemical “enhancers” or living under bridges (I hope…) thanks.

I am cheating the clock a bit and futzing around with a MIDI file… :laugh: Shhh… nobody has to know…

D

Dude, I am lurking here waiting for a pallet to be delivered and them I am outtie to buy some groceries (big day coming up). Just dorking around in the mean time.

Gonna “Kaboomify” a big ol’ bird this year? Or going “non traditional”?

D

EDIT:

Just spotted this one… LOL…

Quote:

Hysteresis = a mood common during PMS

Ya’ll are too fast for me today - I was gonna post my best Steve Martin “Excuuuuuse Meeeee” but it’s kind’o lost it’s moment.

Sorry Poppa… I’m afraid my sarcasm gland got stuck in high gear today. :laugh:

D

No problem… I just thought it was interesting stuff. :p

Yes it is cool stuff. I hope to give it a GOOD listen at home this evening. I guess amongst all the lame attempts at humor, the lesson is you can do a lot of things in the digital world with the tools and plugins available. Understanding what you are doing with the tools is what’s tough. Reading and listening to pro’s is great. We poor slobs who don’t have the mega-buck analog gear and high-end AD/DA’s, EQ’s etc have to translate a LOT though… and sometimes as Bubba mentioned, you are working yourself into a tizzy over a <1% “improvement” that only you are going to notice…

It’s just like golf. The game you LOVE to HATE. :p

D

Forgot to mention about work I was going to mention…
I use TeamViewer for work from home directly to my office. I have my security cam I check and can do anything on my computer from home here on my laptop. Handy for all sorts of stuff work related.

Try it out! TeamViewer 3

You can also use it for file transfers etc, so you could leave your files at work - tweak them, edit them at home. Print them on the plotter at work - all from the laptop.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 24 2008, 3:32 PM)

Forgot to mention about work I was going to mention....
I use TeamViewer for work from home directly to my office. I have my security cam I check and can do anything on my computer from home here on my laptop. Handy for all sorts of stuff work related.

Try it out! TeamViewer 3

You can also use it for file transfers etc, so you could leave your files at work - tweak them, edit them at home. Print them on the plotter at work - all from the laptop.

Yup. I have access from home. I use it fairly regularly too. It's just more fun to gripe about it! :laugh:

CAD drawings are a PITA though. Through some unknown cosmic sub-atomic particle intervention or something, you'll have it looking perfect on screen... plot options set correct etc... and it STILL comes out stupid... I dunno why. Futz and schmutz with it a bit.. try again. Apparently the cosmic sub-atomic particle is gone. Looks perfect... Doing that from home, the contractor dudes would call every ten minutes "Hey! What is THIS $@!#!!"

I'll just have to be here... doggone it...

D

PS We use UltraVNC via VPN tunnel but we're switching to RAdmin. It seems to be a better product for "remoting" into PC's.