Groups

Just out of curiousity…how many groups can you create in N?

Try it yourself and see. Last time anyone tried, there was a limit of 80 tracks, but that was probably without any plugin instruments or groups. Also, that was for version 3.

You can also create groups of groups… Let’s say you have all of you acoustic guitar tracks going to group 1 and all of you electric guitar tracks going to group 2… you can send group 1 and group 2 to group 3 which would give you one slider for all of your guitar tracks.

Fun stuff!
:cool:

Quote (John @ Mar. 03 2005,08:28)
You can also create groups of groups... Let's say you have all of you acoustic guitar tracks going to group 1 and all of you electric guitar tracks going to group 2... you can send group 1 and group 2 to group 3 which would give you one slider for all of your guitar tracks.

Fun stuff!

I do that sometimes as an aid to mixing, have a drums subgroup, then a drums, bass, guitar sub group, then a whole band subgroup (including keys, strings, etc); along side that will be a harmonies sub group, and all vox subgroup..

I don't do that often mind, but sometimes it can be nice to fade out the band, and leave the vox going.. rather Average White Band, but let's not go 'round too many more times...

:D

DSP
Quote (duncanparsons @ Mar. 03 2005,10:14)
I do that sometimes as an aid to mixing, have a drums subgroup,

I do it all the time... Create groups just as you do, and minimize the individual tracks so that the slider for that track doesn't even show up in the mixer window. WHen I get around to a "final" mixdown, the only sliders I'll see are: Bass, Drums (Fruity), Guitars Group, and Vocals Group. As long as the vocals (and guitars) are well-balanced relative to each other, it usually works out quite nicely, and greatly simplifies the final mixdown process...

YMMV
IMHO
My $.02
Etc...

-John

Thanks, John, Jeff, & Duncan
Great Tips!!!

Groups are also useful if you have 2 or more tracks that really represent a single track… (perhaps a comp’d vocal, or a segment that has been put on it’s own track for some special purpose like giving it an effect of it’s own.

Send the tracks to a group and put the effects for the track on the group rather than the individual tracks.

Mark

Yeh, thanks. This is something I have tried years ago, but have since forgotten all about it. This may save me hours of frustration, especially Mark’s suggestion for grouping and adding effects to multi takes of a vocal

Cheers