Gsnap crashing ntrack

I’ve been using the Gsnap autotune clone, and I find that when I do a mixdown on it, it crashes n-track at the end. If you saved it with gsnap, then you can’t open the song again, n-track repeatedly crashes it. In order to do my work, I have to do everything else I want, save the file, then add Gsnap. Mix it down, it crashes, then open it again and listen to the mixed down track. If I save it with Gsnap applied, the songfile will never again open. Is this a glitch in my older version of ntrack, or is it something that Gsnap causes, period?

Just out of curiosity if you don’t mind my asking what type of track are you putting this VST on?

eg. Stereo wav. file, midi track, mono wav. file etc etc.

dontcare

I used to use Gsnap a lot in ntrack without too many problems… but I think that was on a later version to the one you are using so I wonder if something got fixed in later versions? Also, it’s worth checking that there isn’t a newer version of Gnsap.

Quote: (dontcare @ Mar. 29 2011, 12:39 PM)

Just out of curiosity if you don't mind my asking what type of track are you putting this VST on?

dontcare

if I don't get back to read your response today,

the reason I ask is according to the webpage the plug only accepts mono inputs.

So my thinking was if you are using a stereo wav. file that could cause some kind of problem.

and then it crossed my mind to freeze the mono track as well before mixdown...(but you shouldn't have to do something like that)

dontcare
Quote: (dontcare @ Mar. 30 2011, 9:19 AM)

Just out of curiosity if you don't mind my asking what type of track are you putting this VST on?

dontcare

if I don't get back to read your response today,

the reason I ask is according to the webpage the plug only accepts mono inputs.

So my thinking was if you are using a stereo wav. file that could cause some kind of problem.

and then it crossed my mind to freeze the mono track as well before mixdown...(but you shouldn't have to do something like that)

dontcare

That's a good point actually.... I always use autotune type plugs at the beginning of the signal chain (ok, maybe sometimes after a compressor), but if you put it after a stereo effect - eg like a stereo reverb - then I guess that would cause problems.

Danny. I had gsnap crashes with some n-T6 builds. I can’t recall which builds in particular without checking through it all but I’ve found “Kerovee” to be more stable and easier to use.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=KeroVee&id=844

dontcare

it does it in mono or stereo, and yes Gsnap works just fine with stereo files. The only time it crashes is if I'm doing a mixdown, and I don't select "mixdown while playing" and stop the mixdown before it reaches the very end of the song. If I let it get to the very end, or mixdown in regular mode, n-track crashes as soon as the mixdown is done. No huge biggie, provided I didn't save n-track with Gsnap applied. If I did, the songfile immediately crashes, as soon as I try to open it, no matter what I try.

As I said, I'm sure that the crashing is something screwy the plug-in is doing, but WHY does it lock the file up if it's saved to the song?

-Danny
Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Mar. 30 2011, 10:51 AM)

dontcare

it does it in mono or stereo, and yes Gsnap works just fine with stereo files. The only time it crashes is if I'm doing a mixdown, and I don't select "mixdown while playing" and stop the mixdown before it reaches the very end of the song. If I let it get to the very end, or mixdown in regular mode, n-track crashes as soon as the mixdown is done. No huge biggie, provided I didn't save n-track with Gsnap applied. If I did, the songfile immediately crashes, as soon as I try to open it, no matter what I try.

As I said, I'm sure that the crashing is something screwy the plug-in is doing, but WHY does it lock the file up if it's saved to the song?

-Danny

hmm...D
it doesn't sound like Gsnap is working just fine with stereo files to me.... :(

From their manual page:

Quote:

but what do they know, they only programmed it.
:whistle:

Is the same problem happening on mono wav. files in Ntrack? have you tried it?

any VST that is not being used according the the programmers specification has the tendency to crash DAWs on start up.

dontcare

It crashes on Mono too, and it DOES work in stereo, lol!

No, the workaround that I figured out is to save everything EXCEPT Gsnap, then apply the gsnap, mix it down while playing, and stop it before it reaches the very end of the song. n-track doesn’t crash, then, don’t ask me why. If I let it go to the very end of the song, it will crash, whether in mono or stereo, I’ve tried both ways.

I’ve also learned how to modify the effect so it’s not pitch-correcting stuff I don’t want shifted: I leave the Gsnap window open, and drop the “amount” function below 50% when I’m in a section that I want to remain normal, then ramp it back up to 100% when I get to sections I want the effect to be more pronounced on. It’s a cheat, yeah, and a pain in the tukus to do, but it saved me hundreds of bucks for Autotune, lol!

My main question is WHY, if you save it with Gsnap, and it crashes, can you never open the song again? Is the .sng file being corrupted by the crash?

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 29 2011, 2:46 PM)

Danny. I had gsnap crashes with some n-T6 builds. I can't recall which builds in particular without checking through it all but I've found "Kerovee" to be more stable and easier to use.

I tried Kerovee, and it works okay, but It doesn't have all the chord variations that Gsnap does. For example, the first Chord in "The Way It Goes" is an Amaj7, but if I set it to Amaj, and fill the gaps, it works pretty well. It would probably nail it perfectly if there was an Amaj7 setting, but if frogs had wheels, they wouldn't bump their butts when they jump, right? It's free, can't complain. Kerovee has an Amaj, but it's Chromatic, not just plain Amaj, so my voice really gets whacked out on it.

Kerovee, however, does not crash my DAW, lol!
Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Mar. 30 2011, 3:23 PM)

It crashes on Mono too, and it DOES work in stereo, lol!

No, the workaround that I figured out is to save everything EXCEPT Gsnap, then apply the gsnap, mix it down while playing, and stop it before it reaches the very end of the song. n-track doesn't crash, then, don't ask me why. If I let it go to the very end of the song, it will crash, whether in mono or stereo, I've tried both ways.

I've also learned how to modify the effect so it's not pitch-correcting stuff I don't want shifted: I leave the Gsnap window open, and drop the "amount" function below 50% when I'm in a section that I want to remain normal, then ramp it back up to 100% when I get to sections I want the effect to be more pronounced on. It's a cheat, yeah, and a pain in the tukus to do, but it saved me hundreds of bucks for Autotune, lol!

well I'm glad you found a work around,

I didn't mean to bust your balls or give you the run around D but nine times out of ten it's the simplest things that get overlooked...

Glad to see you found a "work around" but to quote the immortal words of Diogenes

"FILE A BUG REPORT!!!"

.....that's the only way this program is going to get improved.

I had a plug like that a couple o years back on ver 2.3, my work around was mixdown while playing and never EVER save the project with the effect on it! (that's if you ever want to see that project again! lol) ???

dontcare

I doubt a bug report on an issue with version 2.3 will do much good. I know that Melodyne would crash n-Track and was not fixed until version 6. That is what forced me to switch to the “dark side”, since R had reatune (which works incredibly well for a free plugin).