GUI suggestions

Hello all,

There are some suggestions here, that have to do with user interface and the “flow” of using N-track. I’ve got mixed feelings about N-Track user interface at the moment. It sort of meets my needs on a basic level, but lacks when it comes to intuitiveness and fluency. Here’s what I got in mind:

1. Make it possible(optional) to select input source to an active track by clicking the rec-button (make a dialog appear). If I got 10 inputs and lots of stuff connected, it’s more fluent to be able to choose input every time. This would bypass any other recording setting and just start recording to the current track from the input I want (but preserving the input selection until it’s changed again somehow).

2. Make it possible to trim a wave selection by shift-right-clicking it. That’s what I do all the time anyway (too bad I’m not Eric Clapton), so it would be fantastic to have this. I know you can just drag the left corner to where you want, but I’d like to be able to just click to the correct spot (beginning of a riff), select the riff you want to keep and shift-right-click it. Unlike adjusting both ends of a wave separately, this would only require one action.
An alternative method: just select a wave section, hold right button and drag it/drop it to the track. This would create a trimmed copy of the original and place it next to another wave.

3. Make it optional for the compressor/eq window to automatically hide to the right (or other) edge. I think it’s hogging too much screen space as it is.

4. The mixer window: I’d like to have an option where you could simply toggle between a semi-fullscreen mixer view and the original view, whatever it happens to be. Simply a button to the dock below - “mixer”.

5. Allow individual selection and cut/copy/paste/trim of more than one track at a time. At the moment, you can only operate on either a single track or all at once. E.g. If you got a multilayered guitar part and you want to transfer it to some other point in the song, it’s going to be a lot easier this way.

Please, comment these ideas if you think they could be useful/why, why not?

//edit: almost forgot -
Thanks Flavio for the great software. Build 2093 works nicely here, with the latest Microsoft updates.

<!–QuoteBegin>

1. Make it possible(optional) to select input source to an active track by clicking the rec-button (make a dialog appear). If I got 10 inputs and lots of stuff connected, it’s more fluent to be able to choose input every time. This would bypass any other recording setting and just start recording to the current track from the input I want (but preserving the input selection until it’s changed again somehow).

Click the red button on the trackview, not the recording VU - you’ll get a source input menu. Doing this on the VU window will give a “record/don’t record from this input” menu.

Can’t help you with the others though.

Quote (Willy @ April 18 2006,20:15)
<!–QuoteBegin>

Click the red button on the trackview, not the recording VU - you’ll get a source input menu. Doing this on the VU window will give a “record/don’t record from this input” menu.

Can’t help you with the others though.

Yes, it’s true. But I still would like to just click the record button and never mind what input it’s going to record - because I could select it after I would click the record-button and start recording by clicking “ok”. Maybe it’s just me who wants it, that’s what I’d like to find out :)

//edit: the thing is that before I get to the point of recording for a new/old track, I need to press two different buttons when I could handle it with only one.
These little things to improve usability count to a lot of people, I guess that’s why people still buy Macs (plus because they look cooler).

:)

See - we can’t help ourselves - because we have the wonderful privilege of being able to influence the development of n-Track we can’t help but have ideas.

But I smile because a few threads back the weight of opinion seemed to be that we wanted more stability before more features.

???

Mark

Quote (Mark A @ April 19 2006,05:31)
:)

See - we can't help ourselves - because we have the wonderful privilege of being able to influence the development of n-Track we can't help but have ideas.

But I smile because a few threads back the weight of opinion seemed to be that we wanted more stability before more features.

???

Mark

Sure, stability is the n:o 1 priority. This is just in case Flavio doesn't fancy slaying those nasty buggies all the time :). Plus the stability has probably improved, I have been recording/fiddling with the settings quite alot here and no crashes.