Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Right-wing spin

Maybe I should start a regular “column” of debunking right-wing spin but here’s an example of the “demonize the liberal press” article - Guilty Until Proven Innocent.

This article is all over the place. It tries to compare the recent Iraqi shooting story with the OJ, Martha Stewart, and Abu Ghraib prison scandal stories.

The article’s premise is that just by publishing the story, the press had judged this soldier who shot the Iraqi insurgent. I watched the coverage of this on NBC & I didn’t see where NBC judged this soldier. All the points that Mr. Savato presents in defense of the soldier, were all presented by NBC but yet the liberal press is bad.

The right-wing doesn’t want any story that’s negative to the war effort or Bush to be printed. I ask: what kind of free press would we have if that were the case.

Quote (MidnightToker @ Nov. 22 2004,12:09)
I ask: what kind of free press would we have if that were the case.

None. Because you don't even have a free press right now.
None. Because you don't even have a free press right now.
What's the alternative Jhonan?

We do have a free press-certainly compared to many other places in the world. That we can complain about the press shows the freedom we have in this country, freedom that many countries do not have.

The simple fact of the matter is: we all have biases and it is exceedingly difficult to mask them. The right-wing saw the spot as an attack on soldiers and the Bush administration, as it would see any “crack in the armor” of the “liberal media.”

Here’s more right-wing spin from O’Reilly - Marine who shot insurgent acted rationally.

Now O’Reilly has enough evidence to vindicate this marine. I’d love to know how he managed to know all that?

Seriously, you right-wingers can recognize this as bias also, can’t you?

Quote (Drummer @ Nov. 22 2004,12:17)
We do have a free press-certainly compared to many other places in the world. That we can complain about the press shows the freedom we have in this country, freedom that many countries do not have.

Head down to Ramstein air base with a press pass and a camera and see how much freedom you have.
The simple fact of the matter is: we all have biases and it is exceedingly difficult to mask them. The right-wing saw the spot as an attack on soldiers and the Bush administration, as it would see any "crack in the armor" of the "liberal media."
Exactly, but just the act of reporting this incident doesn't necessarily imply bias does it? Drummer - don't you think the right has attempted to portray anything the main stream press does as "liberal bias".
Drummer - don't you think the right has attempted to portray anything the main stream press does as "liberal bias".
No, I do not-anymore than I think that all liberals are attempting to "catch" right-wingers in the act of "calling out liberal bias." This is about the way two people approach any given issue in two completely different ways.

Maybe I should start a regular "column" of debunking right-wing
When I read this, it tells me that you are doing the same thing in reverse of the right-wingers. You're attempting to debunk their portrayal of the media as "left-wing biased." The fundamental issue here is that one side sees a situation a certain way and one side sees it another way. The mistake occurs when people attribute this difference in worldview to being abhorent, that somehow, it is "evil" for reporters to have a bias, which is impossible. The two parties are simply approaching an issue from two different worldviews.

Exactly, but just the act of reporting this incident doesn't necessarily imply bias does it?
Reporting on it, not necessarily, but ANY analysis whatsoever certainly does show bias.

All the news stories I have seen on tv don’t blame the Marine at all. I think they want to show that things aren’t all rosie over in Iraq, but don’t want the soldier to be the scapegoat, be it liberal or conservative media.

All the news stories I have seen on tv don't blame the Marine at all.
Exactly but listen to the right-wing spin machine, they are spinning the story out of control (like they do with everything). I wished the "average" American would see things the way you do Brad.

Mike, what your saying raises an interesting issue for me. I have often found myself surfing the cable news channels and listening to the stories. They all seem to have the same basic stories with the same basic analysis. If I just sit there and don’t pay very close attention, I can get brainwashed (for lack of a better term) by what they are telling me. But on occasion I find myself saying “wait a minute”. It’s almost like they are trying to sell you something rather than actually tell the story the way it is. When I hear terms like liberal media or conservative media, I almost have to laugh. It’s all slanted one way or the other but certainly not the truth or the whole story.

Do you get the BBC ? :)