Guitar people what "Strat"

always wanted one!!!

Hi guys,
Know there are a lotta guitar players here, sorrry for the off-topic, but I’m bound and determined to get me a Strat this weekend, wanted it for 20 years now; I’m the typical guy who waits till my shoes leak, then I buy new ones( cheap, I only spend money on my family, not me).

I’ve been playing a 73 Les Paul into a Fender Twin amp ( both were given to me, because my friend who had $$ to spend decided that they fit me and gave them to me, can you believe it?!)for more than 20 years (yeah, I’m an old guy) it is a beautiful piece of wood and electronics… but some of my favorite stuff is fender strat…and my 15 y/o son started playing last year (I dont want to tell him, but he is better than me cuz he is on that “extreme upward learning curve”) so I finally said, “know what, time to get something we can both have fun with”. Sooo…

I’m going to plunk down some cash this weekend, and buy a strat…

But what? Guitar center just opened a new one here in Glen Burnie MD… and the radio is buzzing with all kinds of deals.

Going on their website totally confused me, what the heck do you look for in this type of guitar? Tooo many choices?

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Chiller

Take them all off the rack, and play 'em all.

Whichever one “feels” and “plays” best in your hands, buy.

Bugger the sound, “you can get any sound you want out of a Strat coupled with the right FX”…David Gilmour.

But remember, because of the longer scale length, the strings will feel tighter when you bend.

Feel how the back of the neck lies in your hand; slide your hand up and down the neck; sit quietly, close your eyes and just run your hands over her.

Go for how she feels in your hands. :)

A Strat ain’t about technical specifications, it’s about passion! :D

Ali

Thanks, Ali, thats what I’m going to do tomorrow with my 15 y/old, he will keep me in check ( as in, “Dad, that $4,599 guitar up there sounds really good, cant we take it home along with the Marshall Amp?) He see’s no dollar signs at this point in life ( not good?!!) but he is a breath of fresh air!

I’m only asking as to " 57 reissue with noiseless pickups, etc” is it worth going from standard $600 usd to $1200 usd?

I think that is more my question here.

chiller

Ach well, back down to earth. :)

Are they all new? And do you absolutely want a new one?

Some of the Jap Squiers were wonderful, whereas many of the Korean and Mexican ones were crap.

But, the American standards are pretty consisent, and if you’re looking at resale value, that’s the way to go.

But chiller, I still say take all the ones (you are prepared to pay for) off the rack, and try them all.

Ali

Ali, I hear ya,
ErYup, gonna have some fun tomorrow…alot more fun than breaking down and deciding I needed a new pair of shoes!..I hate shopping, but my son is going crazy for the last two days because I announced this to the family ( figured I better have the better half kind of buy into this, and she did not complain).

So tomorrow is going to be a “trial”… and then I’m going to have a new “family guitar” to be used by all… gotta love that idea, not mine, not his, just “Ours”…

Gotta luv sharing with the family, so to speak…!

Hey Ali,
As its 9pm my time, ifn your at scotland, isnt it 5hrs and makes it 2am in the morning?! Whoa! go to bed!

Yep, I want a brand spanking new guitar, nothing else. So in answer to you, not going to do any pawn shop, e-bay, etc.

you are getting sleepy, more sleepy, you are …

see ya bud
chiller

ps: actually I have to transfer my working lalptop to a new one the company just sent me… so my weekend should be really lively (plus I want to see Keller Williams at the ramshead this saturday, #### that guy is good and funny, if you get a chance go see him, “perpinducular teeth” cracks me up, Cd #14)

See THIS thread!

TG

Chiller

I own two Standard Strats(made in mexico). One has the usual 3 single coils and one has two Tex-Mex humbuckers.

I love them both. Have always leaned toward Les Pauls but when I bought the 1st strat I was totally sold. (still love them pauls though)

dave

If you must buy a Fender, then buy the Fender and enjoy. If you are looking for an amazing guitar in the $600-$700 range, look at Carvins. Much better instruments and all custom made to your specifications. Neck thru body, 24 frets, ebony fingerboard, you can pick the body woods, amazing sounding pickups, sperzel tuners…the works. Look at this one . But if you must buy a Fender and your heart is sold on the name Fender, then buy the Fender.

You don’t see too many Fender Koa Strats do you?
good luck,

Mike

Quote (chiller @ Feb. 04 2005,19:18)
Thanks, Ali, thats what I'm going to do tomorrow with my 15 y/old, he will keep me in check ( as in, "Dad, that $4,599 guitar up there sounds really good, cant we take it home along with the Marshall Amp?) He see's no dollar signs at this point in life ( not good?!!) but he is a breath of fresh air!

I'm only asking as to " 57 reissue with noiseless pickups, etc" is it worth going from standard $600 usd to $1200 usd?

I think that is more my question here.

chiller

Yes, I think so, I have an 87 reissue of a 57, not noiseless by any means, but as soon as I started playing it it was SOOOOOO obvious that this was the guitar for me. :)
Of course, each guitar is different, and perhaps you will find a standard that is better. In any case, you need to search for more than a day for it; GC has lots of guitars, but they may not have the guitar...

I have a 79 US made with the 3 bolt neck and allen screw adjustment, I bought it off a friends dad who got it new in 79, 2 color cherry sunburst, It is absolutely beautiful and mint…but I find it has more of a radius on the fingerboard than I like, so I play my RGX 1220s Yamaha or Hamer Californian…But the Strat sure looks good. It really does come down to what you are comfortable with.

Darn, wish I saw DrGuitars post before I bought!!

Nope, I’m one person that hates shopping, played a buncha fender strats, finallly decided on a standard american strat as to what the boy and I liked, and we are enjoying it.

Of course after the sale, while waiting, we then we went to the vault room, that has the “nice” guitars, played some new les pauls ( a little different than my 1973 version, but sooo nice cuz they actually had frets as compared to mine!) and a PRS, and then a gibson SG…and my son looked me squarely in the eye and said “Dad, this is the guitar for us, we dont need a Strat, lets tell them right now we want a SG”; and then I decked him!! or almost…but darn, that SG was nice

Dont want to boar you with the rest of the conversation that was “well, lets sell the LP, and use the money for the SG”, or “we dont really need the strat, please lets get an SG?”…which I almost bought into…If we ever again can afford to buy something, the gibson SG is definitely a really nice guitar.

All in all, I want to thank everyone for responding. Yes, DrGuitar, I’ve always “just wanted the Strat sound”…wanted it for my whole life…but never had the bucks to buy it.

But something verry good with this, my 15 y/o is closer to me today than ever, and he was so excited he played that sucker for at least 3 hours the first day, and has been totally energized by it (he is now playing at least 2-3 hours every nite after school)… he went to his guitar lesson tonite, and the guy said
"I hate it when my students become faster than I can play"

Found sorta the same thing, new toy, my imagination has gotten a jumpstart when playing. MAN, nothing in this world like a new toy!
Thanks to all who responded, its all a lot of fun, aint it?
Peace!

Hooray on the new American Strat. I plan on getting one next month, and doing some crazy flowing LED lighting on the body (much like those chasing Christmas lights) thats powered by a battery pack under the bridge, lol…we’ll see if I kill myself. Its hard to explain but when I finish I’ll post pics. Have fun with your new geetar. :)

####, you liighted up witht xmas bulbs?
Sorry just trying it out "Ohhhheee"
Yup, just me, trying the old give me some something.

Quote (chiller @ Feb. 10 2005,21:16)
####, you liighted up witht xmas bulbs?
Sorry just trying it out "Ohhhheee"
Yup, just me, trying the old give me some something.

Please forgive me, but I have no idea what you just said.

Silver
Sorry, just got my internet working again, and was trying it so it would not have made any sense to you?! I’ve been haveing major problems, I was looking to see if it internet worked.

But, by the way, would like to know if you do the lighting up with LED’s how it looks? I’ve always been interested in music matching with lites?! Are you matching frequencies?? rhythmns? or both?

All in all, I want to thank everyone for responding. Yes, DrGuitar, I've always "just wanted the Strat sound"....wanted it for my whole life....but never had the bucks to buy it.

I'm the same as you, but I ended up buying an Ibanez 70's Silver Series "lawsuit" strat on eBay for $300. Just like a strat. I put a Seymour Duncan vintage rails on the bridge pickup & 2 lace sensors on middle & neck pickups. Viola - an old Eric Clapton strat I have now!

I was eyeing those Golden anniversary strat's that just came out. Also, the '54 anniversary strat looks nice too.

Mr Soul
Quote (chiller @ Feb. 10 2005,22:50)
Silver
Sorry, just got my internet working again, and was trying it so it would not have made any sense to you?! I've been haveing major problems, I was looking to see if it internet worked.

But, by the way, would like to know if you do the lighting up with LED's how it looks? I've always been interested in music matching with lites?! Are you matching frequencies?? rhythmns? or both?

No worries. I planned on setting up the lights in a couple of different modes, controlled by a switch on the lower horn of a strat. In one mode the lights will be triggered by string contact, the heavier they are hit, the more flashes that will go off. In mode 2 it will be a smooth flow of LED lights in multiple colors across the body of the guitar. We'll have to gut out little tiny grooves and holes to run all the wires and LEDs in. This is all in theory though. I can't do it myself. The guy I work for is a brilliant scientist/engineer (www.blueskyenergyinc.com) and he's going to help me out with it all. He's invented all kinds of solar panel technologies, coverters, controllers, etc...and I'm looking to get his help and create a one of a kind guitar. We'll see how that goes though. It will most likely break the bank. I'll keep you posted, heh. Take care.

Silver,
Any progress on this?