Guitar setup

Options

Hey guys,
I think I’ve figured out enough about the software and my midi controller to start paying attention to my guitar again. The last time I recorded at home (years ago) I had an electric Fender strat and a nice amp that I miked into the computer. However, now I don’t have an amplifier anymore and if I can avoid gettin one, that would be great. I’ve heard (or think I might have heard) about people being able to plug an electric guitar straight into the mic input (with an adapter of course) and then use some kind of software amplifier to control the sound. Does this type of thing exist? If yes, is it a decent way of handeling guitar? What do you all recommend? I’ll buy a small amp if I have to, but I just wanted to get a better sense of what my options are. Thanks.
-HwyDave

They’re called amp sims.
And ntrack actually comes with one.
Its called Freeamp2.
All you have to do is open it in FX box on a new track enable the live button and play your guitar through it.
You may hear a delay and thats called latency.
You can adjust those in the buffering section if your using WDM drivers, or in the ASIO drivers control panel. MME won’t work for live playing.
Otherwise you can always record clean and add the amp sim later.

I’m guessing you might end up having questions about latency and drivers.
let us know.

if you get used to freeamp2, there are other freebies you can try.

i use 'em all the time. i never use it in real time, just as an effect later. i use freeamp2, freeamp3, voxengo’s ‘boogex’, to name a few. all of those are free. sometimes i use a jcm or fender twin simulator i have, also free, but not as versatile.

Cool - I’m guesing I can buy an adapter that turns the big plug of a guitar cord into a little plug that’ll fit into the mic input at any music store?

-HwyDave

Hey Dave.

Don’t know if this is the kind’ve thing that could help you out, but I’ve used the Line 6 Pods for years in my home recording setup, and they’ve been the dog’s danglies. Plus they double as a great headphone practice amp. All the guitars on my recordings get “Podded!” Check them out HERE.

If you want to hear how I used them, just click on my link below and you can listen / download some of my own stuff.

I’d also steer clear of recording into the Mic input, and go into the Line In instead. People more technical than me here will be able to tell you exactly why though…

Daz

Hi, A regular electric guitar with passive pickups (no battery in guitar) ideally needs to “see” a high input impedance 1Meg ohm or so. A guitar foot pedal or a Di box or something similar is needed. A DI box will give the guitar the input impedance it needs but its output might be a bit low for your computer. A pod would work well and also give you effects. Line 6 (the pod people) also make a number of usb interfaces for guitars.

for example, http://www.zzounds.com/item–LINPSGX

Nick

Quote: (nick @ Jul. 06 2009, 3:56 AM)

Hi, A regular electric guitar with passive pickups (no battery in guitar) ideally needs to "see" a high input impedance 1Meg ohm or so. A guitar foot pedal or a Di box or something similar is needed. A DI box will give the guitar the input impedance it needs but its output might be a bit low for your computer. A pod would work well and also give you effects. Line 6 (the pod people) also make a number of usb interfaces for guitars.

for example,
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINPSGX

Nick

Yeah this is true, there are lots available and many have effects built in. Without this, either pluging into the mic or line in you'll end up with lots of hiss because of having to crank up the signal.