Guitar tuners

Strobes

Anyone using any of the newer digital strobe tuners?

Guitar tuners, whos got um whats good and how did it change your life?

I use the built in tuners in my line 6 gear both live and on my recording computer.
I’m a tuning freak always checking tuning. The better I sound to myself, the better I play. That’s my theory anyway.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ May 05 2009, 9:36 PM)

I use the built in tuners in my line 6 gear both live and on my recording computer.
I'm a tuning freak always checking tuning. The better I sound to myself, the better I play. That's my theory anyway.

Yeah I agree with ya pops, totally. :agree:

I have a peterson flip strobe or whatever they call it. It has a lot of variations for different instruments. One of them makes my acoustic sound really much better. But what I learned is this: each guitar has a personality and sounds best with a particular variation - which also depends on the key. No surprise there. But it means that tuning by ear is better if you have a decent ear than relying on the tuner. Once the right variation is found, the tuner can store it so it can be recalled - although even there, variations in humidity and temperature change what is “right.” So if I were really sweating it, I’d find the "right’ tuning for that particular guitar, store that tuning, then start with it in each case and tweak it by ear.

Of course, I rarely sweat it.

It has been useful in tuning the 50 dollar piano in the basement, too.

A couple of our cheapo tuners seem to be a tad off, too, according to the Peterson.

this one:

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=37

I use the one in my Flooe Pod and also a Korg CA-30 for setups.

Tom is spot on though. Even after adjusting each string dead nuts on either tuner, I have to tweak a fuzz.

I want one of those strobe jobbies where you can store your own profiles per instrument. I think the higher end Peterson’s allow that.

D

PS The built-in deal on our Alvarez acoustic? Almost worthless… shrug

Like Poppa, I use the built in Line6 tuner as often as I can.
Not at my home computer now, but I installed an oscilloscope sim software that works pretty well also, I’ll post the name later.
And yes, I find each guitar has it’s own “special” tuning needs.
And as much as a pain it is, I try setting the intonation on a regular basis, and sometimes a little lube at the nut helps. I have no wammys, so never did any of the locking things.
I’m no luthier, but I can make my own nuts, and I will try to make one of those compensated nuts next time round. Is supposed to help eliminate some of the odd guitar tuning things.

I was looking for that nut post today - Tom did you post that?

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ May 06 2009, 11:00 AM)

I was looking for that nut post today - Tom did you post that?

You talkin' about the Earvanna nut Poppa?

I played a Washburn WI66 once for quite a while. That thing apparently works as it was one of the "sweetest" sounding guitars I've ever played. Everywhere up and down the neck was as "in tune" as anything I played before or since.

http://www.earvana.com/

D

That’s the same idea - the one Tom posted was dif…

All ya need . . . .

And yes, the built in Alvarez tuners are crapola.

Just wanting to know about your tuners :wink: For instance; my tuner in my digitech is very sensitive. I almost have to sneak up on it to tune up. It’s a hassel to work with.
Sure all guitars have their uniqueness. Thx for the replies guys! :agree:

Quote: (Yaz @ May 06 2009, 1:35 PM)

All ya need . . . .

And yes, the built in Alvarez tuners are crapola.

That Yaz... always thinking about listening to music and EATING! :laugh:

D