H + K Red Box. di?

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/hugheskettner/redbox

My Marshall di box dropped dead. Dug this out.
Should it be ok for guit’ into my Echo MIA midi card?
Cheers people.

Do you have the powered model… OR… the passive one… They look pretty nice…

Bill…

MK11. Box with a battery. Any good as a di box into my card?
Cheers, Bill.

It wouldn’t hurt to fire it up and try it…
If there was a line amp output
OR
enough line level…
say

-10db to -3db
at operating level…
then it would satisfy a line input to your audio card…
You’d be all smiles…
It has for sure an XLR mic level output…
Make up an XLR to whatever jack
connects to your audio card input and have a blast with it… It could be Pin -3 earth…
and pin-2 signal…
OR…
pin-3 signal…
It don’t matter just to try it out…
OR…
It could be pin-2 earth
and pin-3 signal…
It 's not important to try it…
It’ll tell you if it’s wired correctly…

Bill…

Cheers Bill. I’ve sorted an xlr cable. I think I remember this performing ok as a through/cab box. Just not sure of the fragility of pc cards.

I got a question. I may have it wrong - but there is an input for line level, and there appears to be an input for a speaker (an impedance matching input for low ohm)
Neither of which you can plug your guitar into and get a useable output signal.
But maybe I’m missing something.
Seems that you would use this to mix say the output of a guitar amp (speaker input)
and a line level input (output of a pre-amp).
So I think you would have to run your axe thru some pre-amped effects box first before going into the MK-II

I made one of these a while back to take the output of a Fender amp
(the speaker output) which is 4-8 ohms and mix it with output of my radio so I could jam with headphones.

The Red Box is designed to take a line level signal from a guitar amp and send it out via XLR to a mixer or other audio interface. There is also an option to use a speaker output from an amp but YOU MUST PLUG A SPEAKER OR DUMMY LOAD IN THE THRU JACK!! Specially if you are running a tube amp. If you run a tube amp with no load, you’ll KILL IT.

Manual HERE…

D

EDIT: Had the wrong manual. Link updated. That should take you to the Red Box MkII manual…

So this thing is not truly a DI box, but rather a cab (4x12) simulator that takes an input from either the line out of a transistor amp or a speaker out from a tube amp and outputs a microphone level signal. (balanced output)
So TonyR would want to plug the output of this into XLR mic input or rewire to an unbalanced mic input. Is that correct?

Cheers, guys. Name a budget di box.

Check this list out here.

I just got 2 of these and am very happy with them.

Hi Gents:
Back in '98 I had the opportunity to get a pair of Countrymen Direct boxes at the AES convention in San Fransisco… the booth had them on for $130.00 each as a “Show Offer”… I passed on it… Why I passed them up, is beyond me… Sweetwater has them on for $179.00 now… If there is any Direct Box to have… those are the ones… I should have picked up two of them…

I have a CSS model CVP-10 that I used on the stage for years… It works perfectly… I modified the balanced output with a Phase Switch… It never had one… It’s always the bass player on the stage that is outta phase when the Front Mix Guys comes up and says there is something wrong with the Bottom End… :) :p :laugh: However, I only have one… Guys like us should buy them (direct boxes) in pairs…

I consider that CSS model CVP-10 Variable Gain Active Direct Box to be the next best thing to the Countryman Box… BUT yea still gotta have two around a tracking room…

Bill…

Cheers, Pop. What d’you reckon to this one?

http://www.dv247.com/studio-…–35117

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 25 2009, 10:34 PM)

So this thing is not truly a DI box, but rather a cab (4x12) simulator that takes an input from either the line out of a transistor amp or a speaker out from a tube amp and outputs a microphone level signal. (balanced output)
So TonyR would want to plug the output of this into XLR mic input or rewire to an unbalanced
mic input. Is that correct?

Pretty much... the main thing I wanted to point up was to avoid damaging your guitar amp, you have to plug in a speaker. If that's the case, MIC the darn thing! If you have a good dummy load, this would be cool I guess.

If you want a "true" DI box, the IMP2 Poppa linked to is solid.

D

That one looks pretty straight forward Tony - I’ve always had good results with ART purchases too.

Cheers, Diog. I used to use it as a thru box for live stuff. I’m having trouble locating the IMP2 in the UK so looked around for simmilar.

Tony,

There is a rather lengthy thread about DI’s over on the Reaper forum if you don’t mind slipping over to “the dark side” as Yaz puts it.

DI Discussion thread

It’s worth a look…

D

Cheers, Diog. I’ve been ramming everything through my old Fostex 454 desk but it’s becoming less and less appropriate. Plus, I’m trying to cut down on cables (and noise)and have a general tidy-up. Thanks guys, you’re all correct, it ain’t a DI box, which ever way round you Rubik it.
Thanks for the list, Pop. Yup! they all look pretty generic and afordable.

I’m not to impressed with berringer’s vamp for guitar but musicians friend or zzonds.com would be a good place to look or the equivalent there in the UK.

Quote: (Diogesneez @ Sep. 26 2009, 2:50 PM)

"the dark side" as Yaz puts it.

:laugh: :agree: