Hallucinating?

But the MIDI paste bug is still there for me, even though the changelog (and Flavio’s email) said it should be fixed in 1826, so I sent in another report about it. Maybe he’ll squash it in the next build…

Tony

I still have the pastebug too. It’s a little different than before … notes paste over where they were originally from, and they erase all notes above or below them on the grid.

Tony? What midi paste problem are you having?

teej

Hey Teej,

Here’s an excerpt from my bug report:
<!–QuoteBegin>

…pasted notes are being placed a number of measures to the right of the cursor instead of AT the cursor, with notes between the cursor and the pasted notes being erased. The offset of the pasted notes from the cursor appears to be equal to the distance in measures from the original copied notes to the start of the track.

This was for build 1825, and it didn’t look any different in 1826, though there may have been a subtle change, like cmw said, so I’ll have to go back and look again (I put my trusty ol’ 1811 back in).

I’m on a Windows 2000 box right now; if others aren’t seeing it in 1826, it would be weird if it turned out to be an OS-specific thing (I wouldn’t think Flavio would have written separate “per-OS” MIDI paste routines, but I can imagine where he might choose to, I suppose).

[UPDATE: Tried it in Win XP Pro–same exact thing.]

Tony

Just a little more clarification from this part of the bug report:
<!–QuoteBegin>

The offset of the pasted notes from the cursor appears to be equal to the distance in measures from the original copied notes to the start of the track.

Note that this means if you copy notes which are at the beginning of the track, you won’t see any “inserted measures”, but you will see the notes above and below the pasted notes get wiped out. Also, I probably shouldn’t have said “distance in measures”, just “distance”.

Playing with 1826 again, I’ve also found that if you use Ctrl-Shift-V to paste a single measure, you also won’t get the inserted measures, but other notes in the measures being pasted to still get wiped (like what cmw saw).

Tony

Looks like Flavio nailed the MIDI paste bug in 1828. :cool:

However pasting into measures with other notes still erases those notes. (Wasn’t there an option to mix with or overwrite existing notes when pasting? I thought I’d seen one long ago but can’t find it now ??? Eh, maybe I’m thinking of another program…)

Tony

Looks like Flavio nailed the MIDI paste bug in 1828

I still have buggy paste. I'm using 1828, but when I paste now, those notes get pasted back at the beginning of the timeline, with zero offset.

Wasn't there an option to mix with or overwrite existing notes when pasting?

There is the option under Preferences -> Midi Settings to overwrite notes when recording. Could that be it? FYI: Toggling that setting seemed to have no effect on the paste bug wiping out the surrounding notes.
Quote (cmw @ April 20 2005,13:20)
I still have buggy paste. I'm using 1828, but when I paste now, those notes get pasted back at the beginning of the timeline, with zero offset.

Whoa! I'll have to check that one out...
Wasn't there an option to mix with or overwrite existing notes when pasting?

There is the option under Preferences -> Midi Settings to overwrite notes when recording. Could that be it? FYI: Toggling that setting seemed to have no effect on the paste bug wiping out the surrounding notes.
Ahh...that's probably what I was thinking of! Yeah, I wouldn't think that would affect MIDI pasting. Sorry for the confusion.

Tony
Quote (Scantee @ April 20 2005,13:50)

Whoa! I'll have to check that one out...

I tried to reproduce this, cmw, but I couldn't get it to happen. Did you know that in 4.05, N-track now pastes where the cursor is instead of the highlighted area in the Piano Roll? Are you moving the cursor to where you want to paste? Sorry if you already knew this!

[BTW, FYI this was the behavior in N-track 3.3 and perhaps earlier; it was just changed back.]

Tony
Quote (Scantee @ April 19 2005,20:36)
However pasting into measures with other notes still erases those notes. (Wasn't there an option to mix with or overwrite existing notes when pasting? I thought I'd seen one long ago but can't find it now ??? Eh, maybe I'm thinking of another program...)

Well, this is solved in now in build 1831. There's a button in the Piano Roll which toggles between overwrite and mix pasting. Thanks, Flavio!

Tony