Happy 250th Birthday Mozart

Wish I were in Vienna

Overall my favorite classical composer since my late teens. Too bad my little town doesn’t seem to have any Mozart events going on this weekend. Eh, screw them; I’m going to get drunk and play the Rondo Alla Turca on my keyboard–maybe send out a risqué letter to a cute female cousin while I’m at it. I just hope it doesn’t get published (well, not while I’m still alive, at least).

So here’s to Mozart! If you were alive today, you’d be really hideous-looking. :)

Tony

Welp… I guess I can raise yet another beer for old Wolfie.

:cool:

Rock me Amadaus! …litle Brit humor ther…from the eighties. :)

Hopefully right thread this time:
I’ll second that second (?) beerburp.
I don’t own more than a small handful of classical records due to an unacceptably low dirt-guitar factor, but Eine Kleine Nachtmusik used to be played A LOT around here. I tend to compare Mozart to McCartney. Should tell you something about my refrences :)

3rd greatest composer of all time. Didn’t they just identify his skull or something? Let’s extract the DNA, clone him, and set him up with n-Track. The 24 bit version. :)

Quote (TomS @ Jan. 27 2006,19:50)
3rd greatest composer of all time.

And the top two ?

<!–QuoteBegin>

3rd greatest composer of all time.

<!–QuoteBegin>
And the top two ?

We may as well debate the three greatest religions. :;): (Not an invitation to start that flamewar, BTW. :D ) Nope, the most I can say is that Mozart is still <!–QuoteBegin>
Overall my favorite classical composer
, and nothing more. :)

Tony

Tom’s top two could very well be Lennon/McCartney :)

Bach and Brahms. :)

Oh well, I was pretty close, wasn’t I ? :laugh:

Yes. Very close. They are in my top 10, at least. Have to think about that one. Probably have to stick Mahler up there right behind Mozart. After that, I think the unit L & M. But my judgment is almost certainly untrustworthy, since I would probably put Kurt Weill (esp. in conjunction with Brecht) in my top ten as well, a fact which drives my wife nuts. :D

Weill ? Brecht ? Nuts ? Highly understandable !
Townshend rules :)

Hmm. Definitely a top ten candidate…

Bach, Brahms then Mozart? Nah… Mozart, Bach (very close 1 and 2) then the field get murky… Brahms is up there with Stravinski, Bartok, Holst, Beethoven, Chopin and Barber. All great composers in their own right. But Mozart and Bach were just genius. Had they lived as contemporaries, it would have been fun to hear those two improvise on a familiar melody together.

just my $.02

Holst and Barber don’t belong on that list. :D

It is said that when the angels play for God they play Bach. But when they play for themselves they play Mozart, and God listens secretly.

Quote (Guest @ Jan. 30 2006,08:40)
Holst and Barber don’t belong on that list. :D

I would disagree. I have performed many pieces of music by all of the above composers; making me intimately familiar with their compositions. I think “The Planets” by Holst puts him squarely in the above pack. And even though Holst himself didn’t think it was his best composition, there is a depth there that is undeniable. Barber, on the other hand, is an unsung hero of modern music. His choral works are masterpieces by themselves. But as you know, choral works are often seen by critics as “not important”. So then one needs to turn to “Adagio for Strings” to see some of his masterwork. Even his contempories (who were not big fans of Barber), have claimed this to be a masterpiece; one of the finest pieces of modern music written.

Don’t get me wrong. There are many names missing from the above list that deserve to be there. The list I made was a fast list of top names that came to mind quickly. I could have easily included Copland, Rimsky-Korsakov, etc…

So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point. I would challenge you to listen to excerpt of Jupiter from the The Planets" conducted by Bernstein and performed by the New York Philharmonic. Rare few pieces of music have moved me like that performance.

Wow, a discussion about music… cool.

:p

I know Holst and Barber pretty well. Barber was uneven. Of Americans Copland outranks him, although the “Copland signature” makes for a certain amount of boredom after a while. But then I like Babbit.

Holst was…good…but of the British of that era surely Vaughan Williams is both better and more important.

But I don’t claim to be any expert. Just a guy with wildly subjective opinions which I am willing to force down unsuspecting throats (or ears as it were) .

:D

Hey Tom…I will go with Brahms 2nd and Wolfie first…Bach never makes my list! Too precise and mathematical for my tastes…I will go with Chopin 3rd…Man I love his nocturnes…

Ray