Happy Birthday

This is a litty thing I cranked out last evening for my brother-in-law’s birthday. I would have liked to have had more time to work on it, but the birthday was today, and I doubt I will be revisiting this anytime soon (if ever).

He had mentioned to me a few days ago that he was interested in learning the guitar and was asking me for some advice. I got to thinking that it might be nice to record a little song for him for his birthday, which would either possibly inspire him, or scar him for life! Also, I thought it would be a good way to start using all that new gear I just purchased.

The end result is: “Happy Birthday”.

There exists another version with both my wife and I singing along, but I shall spare you fine folks that torture. The wife did fine, but I still don’t really have the knack for recording or mixing vocals. Besides, what I have posted here is bad enough… the first 30 seconds alone should prove that! :;):

The main point though, is that all the guitars and bass were run through my new GFX3000 and the drums are “live” (though still electronic). No MIDI though! Woot!

Clearly I need to work on my timing, but I still think the end result is more varied and “alive” than any of my previous MIDI programmed drum tracks. There are some issues with the mix as well, but hey … you get what you pay for!

Enjoy! (hopefully).

Eyup!

I did enjoy it Chris, interesting arrangement.
I kept having flashes of Jimi Hendrix playing the Steve Vai version of "Happy Birthday"
Works for me :D

Steve

Quote (Beefy Steve @ Dec. 20 2005,01:45)
Eyup!

I did enjoy it Chris, interesting arrangement.
I kept having flashes of Jimi Hendrix playing the Steve Vai version of "Happy Birthday"
Works for me :D

Steve

Wierd Steve!! Hendrix was the first thing that came into my mind.

Chris... Only you would do this :) love it mate!

Cheers,
Ian