Happy Devil's Night

:frowning:

Michigan sure has it’s share of stupidity…hate to say, I joined in the “festivities” when I was a lad. Toilet paper in the trees was OK, but soaping the neighbor’s new wooden fence, ooohh, we got in trouble for that…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Devil’s Night
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the Michigan cultural phenomenon. For the album by rap group D12, please see Devil’s Night (album).
Devil’s Night is a name associated with October 30, the night before Halloween, particularly in and around Detroit, Michigan.

Devil’s Night is a longstanding tradition predating World War II, with anecdotal incidents occurring as early as the 1930s. Traditionally, youths in the Detroit area engaged in a night of criminal behavior, which usually consisted of acts of vandalism (such as egging the homes of neighbors) in retaliation for real or perceived wrongs, or simply for the sake of the crime itself. In the early 1970s, the vandalism escalated to more severe acts such as setting vacant houses on fire. As these activities increased and the tradition gained notoriety, individuals including Detroit-area business owners, purportedly took advantage of Devil?s Night vandalism to collect on insurance policies by committing arson on their properties (i.e., setting fire to their own cars and/or businesses)[citation needed]. These incidents were blamed on Devil’s Night hooligans and added to the notoriety of the night.

Beginning in the 1970s, the crimes became more destructive in Detroit’s inner-city neighborhoods, and included hundreds of acts of arson and vandalism every year. The destruction reached a peak in the mid- to late-1980s, with more than 800 fires set in 1984, and 500 to 800 fires in the three days and nights before Halloween in a typical year.

More at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Night

Isn’t Detroit called the motorcity ?

So then ‘Devils’ night’ in the original ‘The Crow’ (one of my all time fav’s) and the thugs that ‘fire it up’ is actually rooted in a little bit of reality ?

(They also call the place they are in Motor city in the movie)

Thanks for that bit of trivia

W.

Rooted in reality, yep. :)

In Pennsylvania we call it “mischief night”. Mischief night usually included throwing toilet paper up on tree branches, soaping up windows, and egging houses. One of my favorite mischief night pranks involved tying opposing door knobs to each other in apartment complexes. The doors in these apartments opened inward. Once tied, I would knock on both doors and watch the apartment dwellers fight each other to open their doors. Of course the “flaming bag of dog poop” trick was a favorite in our neighborhood. :D

“mischief night” indeed !

LoL

:D :D

“Mischief night” - see what happens to a good, Detroit idea when it gets in the hands of Eastern Liberals! :)

Eyup!

We have a different “Mischief Night”, or “Mischievous Night” as it is known.
It’s the 4th November, the night before “Bonfire Night”.

Still the same sort of pranks though.

One of my favourites was tying black cotton to someone’s door knocker.
Sometimes they would see it, but if they didn’t, we could keep them answering the door to phantom knocks for ages :D

Steve

Quote (Beefy Steve @ Oct. 31 2006,16:18)
Eyup!

We have a different "Mischief Night", or "Mischievous Night" as it is known.
It's the 4th November, the night before "Bonfire Night".

One of my favourites was tying black cotton to someone's door knocker.
Sometimes they would see it, but if they didn't, we could keep them answering the door to phantom knocks for ages :D

Steve

evrey night in AMERICA is DEVIL NIGHT as there no way you clean consins with what you does in IRAK IRAN PRAG as extend shuns to europ
Eyup!

Sometimes they would see it, but if they didn't, we could keep them answering the door to phantom knocks for ages :D

Steve

evrey night in AMERICA is DEVIL NIGHT as there no way you clean consins with what you does in IRAK IRAN PRAG as extend shuns to europ
Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve

Eyup!

Steve