Happy Independence Day

July 4, 2005 Sounds

http://www.phootoons.com/july_4_2005.wma

I recorded this last year in Bellevue, WA. This is from about 10 to 11 PM. It’s from my (former) back yard, using 2 LD condensers. Big peaks have been limited about 30 db. That sound give you an idea about how loud some booms were.

What strange sounds can you find?

I can sound strange after a little BBQ…

Runaway
RunRunRun
Runaway

We decided to stay close to home this 4th and we discovered that we can see the fireworks in town pretty well from our house. But the best surprise was that several of our neighbors put on quite a show right in our street (quite illegal judging from some of their fireworks).

I complained to my state rep last year for the same reason, phoo, as you might recall, and I will complain again this year. In our state it is illegal to sell fireworks unless it is to a customer who intends to take them out of state, so every customer, surprise, surprise, intends to take them out of state. I am totally fed up with my neighbor who sounded like he was setting off tnt last night at 12 fucking 30.

My state rep promised last year to introduce a bill to change the law. No action yet.

I agree that 12:30 is too late but the 4th of July is a day for fireworks & I love it!

Eh, the kids down the street always pop off fireworks till rather late on New Years eve and on the Fourth. No big deal. Two times a year is OK to let 'em have some fun. The trick is to work or play until you are so tired you could sleep even if they were setting them off IN your bedroom. :D

D

If it were only 2 days a year…we’re talking weeks of this garbage. Wakes up my kids and scares the #### out of them. I agree, fireworks are cool, but to everything there is a season (and a place, and it is not over my house at 12:30 at night when my young kids are tyring to sleep).

Nope, I want a law. :angry:

A few days a year is fun, but I agree that weeks is no good. It’s sort of exciting to have all that noisy and beautiful activity around for those special occasions.

The downside is that it dangerous as heck. There needs to be responsibility. That’s where the problem is.

Fireworks are legal (state laws) for specific days a year around here, and each town has their own laws about it. Many have taken a hard line that makes them illegal period. I wonder if that makes problems actually worse since folks get one day a year to blow it out, then nothing the rest of the year. There’s always a few houses lost or worse every Fourth…this year was no different unfortunately.

I didn’t record this year…oh well. Maybe next year.

Tom - you just need to call the police. Forget about the state rep., s/he won’t do anything for you.

Quote (Mr Soul @ July 05 2006,15:23)
Tom - you just need to call the police. Forget about the state rep., s/he won’t do anything for you.

Yep. Nothing gets the aforementioned kids scattering as fast a Crown-Vic with the blue bubbles on top… :D

D – grinning deviously Hey, even ol’ D has his limits of fun!

PS I think the state rep for my district OWNS the illegal fireworks stands! :p

Quote (Mr Soul @ July 05 2006,15:23)

Last year my neighbor got so fed up she called the police and said she kept hearing gunshots. You should have seen the activity. But they were at it again the next night.

Pray for rain. :)

Anyway, this particular state rep is a republican. Wonder if that’s significant?