Hard Drives vs. Big Bass Amp

Will my hard drives survive?

This might be a little off topic but I will be using N-Track and this forum has allways been good to me. So…

My band is planning on recording our rehearsals and tracking out a few tunes for a demo. We play in a garage at a moderately high yet comfortable volume.
The computer is going to have to be in the same room as all the other gear. Will the vibrations from the bass amp make the hard drive’s heads flutter around and bounce off the platters?

There’s no ‘conrtol room’ available. Do you folks think the vibrations will disrupt the HDDs operation?

No, that’s an old urban myth.

However, if the volume is loud enough that you think a hard drive head will bounce you should be more worried about your OWN health.

High SPLs (volume) can not only damage your hearing permanently but also do very bad things to your heart rhythm. Once your hearing is gone, it’s gone forever and if you have any kind of common congenital heart defect it’s over… never hurts to ask your doctor NOW before something really tragic happens.

And, of course, there is the dangerous “brown note” :)

Brown Note

Thank god for mythbusters! :)

Yes there is a brown note. It’s about 18 to 19 Hz.

<!–QuoteBegin>

The late Vic Tandy, a lecturer at Coventry University, was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick when he felt very anxious, and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When he turned to face it, there was nothing there.

The following day, he was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vice. Although there was nothing touching it, it started to vibrate wildly.

And that would do it for me. It would surely do what a brown note claims to do. :D

<!–QuoteBegin>
Investigation led him to discover that the extraction fan was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye (given as 18 Hz in NASA Technical Report 19770013810). The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus the standing wave was detected by the foil, and this was why he saw a ghostly figure — it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating.

I’ve had that exact experience - had a neck muscle problem, had to use one of those neck yoke massagers, on high it caused standing waves in my eyes, I totally did not like that.

Can you repeat that, didn’t hear what you said from STANDING IN FRONT OF MARSHALL SET ON WFO for 40 years!

If you are worried 'bout hard drive do a little isolation!